Ask Permission for City Parks.

locosmith

Apr 5, 2007
Wagoner, OK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro,Cortez
I ask the Director in Victoria and he said no to metal detectors in park. Even tho the city code doesn't say that.. Now here is the question Should you ask the city Director or just go for it. This is for another city close to where I live, the code only talks of trees and shrubs but it talks of not removing any park property, that could mean under ground? Very Interesting. I know people have worked these areas but they never ask. Soo What Say You..Locosmith

OP
OP
locosmith

locosmith

Apr 5, 2007
Wagoner, OK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro,Cortez
I didn't want to push it, he had his secratary call me. I've talked with people that live there that have hunted in the parks, I felt because I didn't live there i should ask or look at the codes. So I don't hunt there ..Locosmith

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I never ask permission, or inquire about rules, at any city park I go to, anywhere. Why would you need to? I don't get it. Would you "ask" permission to walk on the sidewalk there? permission to birdwatch there? Why is detecting different? If someone has an issue, they're welcome to tell you. You've lost the battle even before you start, by thinking you need to ask..... as if there were something inherently wrong with you, or your hobby, that you had to ask. Heck, think of the image some desk-bound bureaucrat will have: geeks with shovels leaving a mess. What do you think he's going to say?

I've posted this example before, but will do so again: In my city, we have an oldtown park that was detected, at will, since the dawn of detectors. Then a newcomer attends our club. At show & tell he heard someone say "such & such coin was found at Central Park". The newcomer raises his hand and asked: "I thought it was illegal to metal detect there?". The rest of us just looked at him and say "since when?". Turns out he'd gone to city hall and asked! It had never even occured to us you needed to ask to detect, to begin with. That was 20 yrs. ago, and.... to this day...... I, or anyone can still go there, unbothered. If a gardener approaches us, it will be to ask for help in locating sprinkler heads.

The only exception I would make to my park's stance is obviously historic monument type places. But parks and schools are open game, unless told otherwise.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
My feeling is that if it is private property, you need permission. If it is a county park, just go and detect. If you are doing something illegal, you will find out soon enough. In most cases no one will bother you. There are a few areas where you need a permit to detect. In that case you can plead ignorance and get your permit for the next hunt.

If you ask any buracrat a question that requires a yes or no reply, 90% of the time your reply will be NO. It is easier to say NO than to do the work to find out why a YES should have been given.

I went to a city office once to find out if permisson was needed to detect in a particular park and no one had a clue. They just looked at me like I had two heads. After they ran my question by everyone that was in he office I was told that they did not know. Needless to say I hunted the park and did not have any problems, but did learn a lesson as far as parks were concerned.

HH

OP
OP
locosmith

locosmith

Apr 5, 2007
Wagoner, OK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro,Cortez
Re: Ask Permission for City Parks. Understood!

I understand. I'm one of those that think to much about it and feel uncomfortable if I don't ask. I'm going to the park in the AM and see what happens.. Thanks Locosmith

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread