what ever happened with Perry Massies Arrest in 2003 ? anyone Know ?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what ever happened with Perry Massie's Arrest in 2003 ? anyone Know ?

The Associated Press
10/22/2003, 5:40 p.m. CT

SELMA, Ala. (AP) -- Two divers who pulled a pre-Civil War-era rifle from the muddy bottom of the Alabama River were arrested and charged with violating an Alabama law protecting antiquities.

Selma police charged Birmingham dive shop operator Stephen David Phillips, 57, and Perry Thomas Massie, the head of a California-based cable television outdoors channel, with taking or possessing cultural artifacts without a permit, a felony.

Phillips and Massie were arrested Monday, just below the Edmund Pettus Bridge, and later released on $1,000 bond. Their boat and vehicle were confiscated. Police had noticed the diving most of the day Monday until about 6 p.m.

http://www.ssdsupply.com/aucraP/x - News Articles About the Arrest/Tuscaloosa News Article/page1.pdf

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
2003 ?? That was a long time ago. I have no idea what happened to the fellow(s). But something sticks out to me as I read your post:

The Associated Press
10/22/2003, 5:40 p.m. CT

SELMA, Ala. (AP) -- Two divers who pulled a pre-Civil War-era rifle from the muddy bottom of the Alabama River were arrested and charged with violating an Alabama law protecting antiquities.

Selma police charged Birmingham dive shop operator Stephen David Phillips, 57, and Perry Thomas Massie, the head of a California-based cable television outdoors channel, with taking or possessing cultural artifacts without a permit, a felony .............

Uh .... was this on TELEVISION for all-the-world to see ? Hence some purist archie to raise a stink ? If so, then are we all surprised ? If anyone else (gasp) raised an object from the mud of some ho-hum Alabama river, no one would a) know, or b) care less. So gee, let's all go show our stuff on television so some bored bureaucrat or archie can raise a fuss ?

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they were Filming, But I don't think it ever Got Finished.
the film was probably Confiscated also.

I wonder if they dropped charges under the grounds they got to keep everything they stole
from Phillips and Massie, Like the Vehicle & boat.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This case brought out new legislation in Alabama, to allow divers to keep incidental finds in the Waterways. There were also some personnel changes at the head of the Commission due to this case. Here is a quote from a press release about the new legislation:
"Phillips was found not guilty of felony theft of a cultural resource but was convicted of misdemeanor third-degree theft and received a six-month suspended jail sentence and six months of unsupervised probation. He was also required to pay $500 in restitution."

His son still runs the Divers Supply Company that Steve founded.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread