the question everyone must be tired of................which metal detector.

Mell0w Sl0w

Sep 7, 2015
North GA
Detector(s) used
whites coinmaster pro, whites bulls eye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive been going crazy for about two months now trying to figure out which new detector suits me, only the more I look into it the more confused I become. So, im gonna try to give a bit of a detailed description of the terrain I am hunting, my experience with past machines and my overall expectations of what would make me happy with my new rig.

I live in north GA and I hunt in very dense red clay soil, My current metal detector is a whites coinmaster pro. While this has been a perfectly acceptable entry level machine, I think Its time for me to graduate into something a little more advanced. My main complaint with the coinmaster pro, other than the fact that it sometimes spazzes out for an hour or two at a time (kind of scaring me away from whites electronics) is the depth. I realize people in different areas, in different terrains report decent depths out of the coinmaster, but for me, 3 or 4 inches is about it. A bit deeper if I go out after a hard rain but I think my findings have been really limited by the fact that im just not getting deep enough. I have hit tin cans close to 10 inches in a wet, sandy creek bed......but not that red clay.

so I guess my first question is, what is the best, most reasonably priced machine that will get me some deeper readings? I have been seriously looking into a garrett AT PRO....I have watched lots of review videos and I really like what I see. Plus it is right in my price range, but do you guys think I will again, outgrow the AT PRO and be looking to upgrade again in a year? if that is the case than I have also been looking into the Minelabs ETRAC.......or are these two machines so far different it is not even worth comparing them? The etrac is really out of my comfortable price range, but would spend it if I was convinced the AT PRO was going to be a let down and not too much better than what I currently have.

I don't want to take the easy way out, I believe in really truly learning to use your detector to the best of it's abilities but with that said I am also not interested in overcomplicating things with an over abundance of bells and whistles. I honestly, probably wouldn't be looking for an upgrade if the coinmaster pro went deeper.

I guess that about explains my situation, but I have one final plea......please don't post here "hey you should check out a *insert random detector" just because that is what you use.....I am mainly interested in hearing peoples opinions regarding my type of soil, depth and the machines I have mentioned. If u are familiar with red clay soil and u are using a machine I haven't mentioned than I would like to hear about it, but my main goal is to be LESS confused after I get some replies here, not to have 100 more detectors to look at and an even more frazzled mind:tongue3:

thanks in advance for all the shared wisdom:thumbsup:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The MAIN thing in really hot soils like yours is to have the ability to manually ground balance your machine. The Garrett At Pro fits the bill, as does the Tesoro Vaquero and Tejon; Teknetics T2 and G2; Minelab 505 and 705; and the Fisher F4 and F5.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use an atp in highly mineralised soil and 8" for a dime is common.never got one deeper.There is no comparison with that whites.the 5x8 coil is a great coil for trashy sites.atp is a very nice mid priced machine with alot of bang for the buck

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to live in Cartersville and quite familiar with that red clay. I agree with Terry. MANUAL ground balance is an absolute must. Whites "snapshot" and adjustment technology is hampering depth in that type soil. And the Coinmaster is not one of Whites best offerings. Garrett? Maybe. The Tesoro Vaq or Tejon would be best choice for depth, IMO. With the high mineral content, you almost have to GB to the soil and turn (or set with the ATP) a quarter turn counter clockwise to allow for the extra mineral content the machine picks up as it's coil is moving. If you must have screen display, I agree that the Fisher F5 would be the better machine. You get better results in that clay with analog adjustability than the auto and digital offerings, again IMO. I used the F5 for many years and it has better command of the ground than anything I ever had.

That Ga clay is unique. Get it wet and stuff sinks faster than regular dirt. Let it dry out and it's like cement to dig. I always have to use my Predator Tools Samson shovel when I run into it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mell0w Sl0w

Mell0w Sl0w

Sep 7, 2015
North GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigfoot: is it red clay that you hunt in? I know a lot of people get those 8" depths, but im just worried that I will get it and it wont work so well in my conditions.

Phantasm: you are right, at least I hope you are, about the coinmaster not being one of whites best offerings. don't get me wrong, I have had tons of fun and found some great stuff with mine....but the "upgrading" develepmont with the coinmaster series is basically a joke. You pay more and more, upgrade from the coinmaster to the coinmaster pro, to the coinmaster GT....and all that is really happening is your adding just a single feature or two each upgrade, like getting a beach mode setting, but its really just the same old metal detector, at least this is my limited understanding. It's a combination of that and some funky electronics behavior of my machine that has me really not wanting to go with another whites machine. In any event, thanks for the info, as fisher really hasn't been on my radar ( I think ive got it stuck in my head that they were known for lower end electronics back in the 90's....I could be wrong about that) if it turns out that I find out the at pro isn't very efficient on depth in my kind of terrain, ill check it out.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
In "really hot ground" Terry, the Tejon simply is too overpowered to handle it, so is the older Fisher 1270. I would get the Vaquero though, it runs much smoother and quieter in bad ground. I traded my Tejon for a 338 Winchster mag straight across - and never looked back..my soil was just plain too hot for a high gain detector.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vaquero, G2+, Makro Racer would be worth looking at

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mell0w Sl0w

Mell0w Sl0w

Sep 7, 2015
North GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
at pro in red clay? anyone?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
at pro in red clay? anyone?

It will work. The Double D coil it comes with will also help. Look into buying a NEL SharpShooter 9.5x5.5" Search Coil as well.

OP
OP
Mell0w Sl0w

Mell0w Sl0w

Sep 7, 2015
North GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will work. The Double D coil it comes with will also help. Look into buying a NEL SharpShooter 9.5x5.5" Search Coil as well.

up to 8"? or at least better than the coinmaster? (usually around 3-4")

and I will look into that coil, were you recommending it for depth? I already decided if I go with the at to also get the extra 5x8 coil

OP
OP
Mell0w Sl0w

Mell0w Sl0w

Sep 7, 2015
North GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
really? no one has used a at pro in red clay that can attest to it's average depth?

I know this particular topic "which metal detector" is pretty worn out and many may not want to participate but don't hold out me guys:occasion14:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
up to 8"? or at least better than the coinmaster? (usually around 3-4")

and I will look into that coil, were you recommending it for depth? I already decided if I go with the at to also get the extra 5x8 coil

MUCH better than the Coinmaster. No, not for depth - for garbage separation (better good target identification) in hot soil.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
don't you know anyone that has different detectors. If you do see about borrowing some and trying them out to see what works for you. I live in Ohio and met another detectorist he was using a bounty hunter and finding some decent finds. He has borrow my whites and garrett and really like both of them. We don't have the red clay here but at least you could try and find someone to borrow a detector from and go from there. Good luck........Matt

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
no...there is no red clay up here but we have black sand common to western mining areas.and yes I pulled a merc from a drainage at 8" that had visual black sand throughout.You may want to talk to one of our supporting sponsers here(they at classifieds forum)they have extensive feedback from folks all over the country and they treat us REALLY good on purchases.the 5x8 is a great coil on that machine.never even take it off mine.

I had great luck with kieth at fort bedford detectors but have heard great things about virtually all of them.

Last edited:

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the At Pro and the DFX. Will never get rid of the AT Pro for the price it's the best. I am routinely hitting silver dimes and Indian heads at 8 to 9". This is using a Nel Storm coil. The Pro is heavy in this combo so I use a Detector Buddy sling. The DFX is just a coin and jewelry hog. But am not happy with the depth. I'm probably going to sell it for the V3i, which looks beautiful. The Pro is completely water proof and does good in all conditions and even completely submerged. So if it's raining you can still go. My thought is go with the Pro or another good mid level detector save up your finds and then buy the high end detector. I also buy used off E-Bay so I can't my money back if the detector is bad. Good luck and Happy Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions