Cable TV Adventure, Treasure, Gold Shows

infidelsaint

May 29, 2010
Just a sort of public service announcement in response to hawkings in my box; be very wary of cable tv production companies soliciting you for a program. They are much more concerned with their own interests than yours and will not hesitate to suck a lead/support out of you while giving nothing in return. Been there. Done that.

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I could imagine coughing up a good lead on a local treasure, and having a casting company tossing you out of the hunt, because they want TV worthy drama queens on the big screen, lol.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is very simple, if you have a agreement with the owners of the land, you can record the old thing, then try to sell the film to a network. May work for me.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is why you have every conversation via email, so that if they steal an idea, you have a paper trail of them leading you on, so that when you sue them after they broadcast your idea, you will have a leg to stand on in court.

Mike

OP
OP
infidelsaint

infidelsaint

May 29, 2010
The situation was different from the usual "treasure hunt." We knew going into it that odds are we'd be used/pumped for information (story, logistics, etc.). Took a chance since there was a need for exploratory funding. We seriously debated the value of the approach and should have followed our gut. The reason I have posted about it is to possibly help others who may face the same dilemma; in all probability your interests and those of the tv production company are at odds. Any value gained by involving a tv company is most likely eclipsed by loss of control. Unless of course it's really just about being on tv.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread