๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
here it comes!

How's this for eerie timing?

An asteroid that was only just discovered on Oct. 10 is set to whiz past Earth on Halloween, marking the closest encounter our planet has had with one of the massive speeding rocks since 2006, according to NASA.

NASA Offers Daily Look at Earth From Space

Coming within 1.3 lunar distances -- that's 310,000 miles -- the asteroid, called 2015 TB145, will brush past Earth but presents no threat to humans, NASA scientists said, noting the asteroid has an estimated diameter of between 525 feet and 2,000 feet.

Described as having an "extremely eccentric" orbit and appearing "cometary in nature," NASA said this asteroid is incredibly fast and predicts it will zoom past Earth at 78,000 miles per hour.

"The flyby presents a truly outstanding scientific opportunity to study the physical properties of this object," NASA officials wrote. It's worth noting this asteroid was only discovered days ago, but its next close encounter with Earth is expected to happen in a dozen years from now, in August 2027.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no way that thing is traveling faster than 75,000 miles per hour - TOPS!!!! NASA always try's to exaggerate things to get the publics attention.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I read several articles about this, and all said it's a speedy one.

So, if it misses us, how close will it be 12 years from now? Proximity to Earth on this pass will certainly modify its' next pass.....

Just a nudge could send it to DC, maybe not all that bad a course...... Maybe even Kalifornia!

OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
please! don't any of you tell Jeffpa about this, he takes it all so seriously

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like rocks !!

Baja

Sep 9, 2015
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur ll -
Minelab CTX-3030 -
White's Spectra V3i -
w/ Sun Ray DX-1 probe -
Fisher F75 ProArc -
w/ Sun Ray Invader FX-1 probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So it's suppose to loop back around and do another fly-by in 12 years?

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here it comes!

How's this for eerie timing?

An asteroid that was only just discovered on Oct. 10 is set to whiz past Earth on Halloween, marking the closest encounter our planet has had with one of the massive speeding rocks since 2006, according to NASA.

NASA Offers Daily Look at Earth From Space

Coming within 1.3 lunar distances -- that's 310,000 miles -- the asteroid, called 2015 TB145, will brush past Earth but presents no threat to humans, NASA scientists said, noting the asteroid has an estimated diameter of between 525 feet and 2,000 feet.

Described as having an "extremely eccentric" orbit and appearing "cometary in nature," NASA said this asteroid is incredibly fast and predicts it will zoom past Earth at 78,000 miles per hour.

"The flyby presents a truly outstanding scientific opportunity to study the physical properties of this object," NASA officials wrote. It's worth noting this asteroid was only discovered days ago, but its next close encounter with Earth is expected to happen in a dozen years from now, in August 2027.
====================================================
Hey Jeff,,,
Just saw this and HAD to add to this thread.

Then thereโ€™s this. When asteroid 2015 TB145 was discovered on October 10th, NASA gave it a 9 on the Torino Impact Hazard Scale. Hereโ€™s what that means:
A collision is certain, capable of causing unprecedented regional devastation for a land impact or the threat of a major tsunami for an ocean impact. Such events occur on average between once per 10,000 years and once per 100,000 years.

NASA Predicts But Won?t Assure Halloween Asteroid Will Miss | Mysterious Universe

SPOOKY! On October 22nd, this was reduced to Code 8. Before you breathe that sigh of relief, hereโ€™s what an 8 means:
A collision is certain, capable of causing localized destruction for an impact over land or possibly a tsunami if close offshore. Such events occur on average between once per 50 years and once per several 1000 years.

We all know what NASA stands for right? Never A Straight Answer
Nothing we can do but enjoy the evening and watch the sky for a show I guess.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hear'd there's gold in them assturoids!

Bring 'em on!

OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
perhaps I should use the next week to deplete my beer supply. ( who wants a global cataclycism with beer in the fridge?)

OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
on our last week kids!!

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets keep our hands inside the atmosphere at all times. And no hanging your head out either.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't sweat it....I still have all those magazines to catch up on, and...I'm still looking for that gold ring.
So nope not this time, Murphy will not let me slide that easy!
Your Halloween candy raid is safe....for now.

OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting