Thairiam

Oct 3, 2015
Highland, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all.

I decided to try my luck at metal detecting last month. The idea of getting outdoors and maybe finding a buffalo nickle or old penny now and then appeals to me.

I saw a sale on the "Bounty Hunter Sharpshooter II" for $150.00 including a pinpointer, headphones, carry case and even a little digger. Reviews seemed pretty good overall for an entry level machine so I decided to buy one. At the store, as I often do, I got overenthused and bought two! (One for my wife.) I've taken it out once to a local park and quickly proved to myself that I don't have the slightest idea what I'm doing! It's not the machine's fault. I'll read my instructions more carefully next time.

Anyway, I still have one MD still in the box and I'm wondering now if I should consider returning it and getting something different like the Garrett Ace 250 for a bit more money. That unit seems to have a lot of good reviews.

I'd appreciate your opinions. Are they both about equal in ability? Is the variety in machines a good idea.

Thanks,
Rich L.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take it back and get a Tesoro Compadre with an 8" coil. $160.00 with a Lifetime warranty and high re-sale value. Good Luck!

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
First of all, Welcome to TNet!!! There is a wealth of information here, so come by often!

To answer your question, if it were me, I would return it and order an entry level machine from another brand. I started with a Fisher F2 and was quite happy with it. As Terry says, the Tesoro Compadre is a good choice; I've never seen someone post something bad about it. As you stated, Garrett makes some good entry level machines, Ace 150, 250, 350. Any of these machines would be a better choice IMO and keep you in or under the $200 range.

Happy Hunting!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TNet!

Take it back. The more you can spend on a machine, the happier you will be... because you will find more stuff!

Happiness = treasure, is the equation that I use.

I had a BH for two months, then an AT Pro ($700)for four months, then I got a Deus (about $1200). I have used it with success for the last 15 months. The Deus has found 116 silver coins in 15 months... including 5 silver half dollars. To me, money is not an issue, I realize that not everyone is in that boat, but the point is... the better the machine, the better you will do, and the more fun you will have.

The higher end machines give more information about the target, allowing you to make better decisions about digging.

It takes some time to learn the machine. Bury some targets in the yard and practice listening to the "good" tones. Then go to the park and dig those 2" Lincoln cents for a few weeks, then you will be ready to start looking for a good place to hunt, one that has old stuff... especially silver coins!

Best of luck to you. Don't hesitate to PM me if you have specific questions!

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Thumbs up :thumbsup: to Tom for the MDers math equation!

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You would know, Tom would solve the metal detector age old equation!!!! :notworthy:

Tom is right and so are the rest. I started out with a ACE350 and was quite happy and then got a Deus and kept the 350 for anyone that wanted to tag along to get their feet wet. I think a Garrett would serve you well as well as those others mentioned.

I think you also have to understand the machine and get use to the audible to know what is digable and what can be left in it's resting place for the most part.

Of this hobby it is like most, the more you pay the better features and bells and whistles you get to make life easier. But then again, you can get too many features and they become rather confusing for sure.

Good luck and happy hunting.....let us know what you decide.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like you, I started with a low end detector. Bought it 5 years ago and did not know how to set it up correctly. It sat in the shed for 3 years. I then found Tnet in Dec 2013 and learned how to setup the detector and started swinging the coil in May 2104. Within 60 days it paid for itself. It had an 8 in coil and I wanted to go deeper (Coil size has a lot to do with how deep the detector can go). I then upgraded to a mid level machine (Fisher F4) with a larger coil 11" DD. After 4 months of using it, it paid for itself. I then ran across a great deal from a fellow MDer who had to quit for health reasons. I got the F75 LTD SE from him and have never looked back.

I would return the unused detector and get a better pinpointer than the BH model you most probably got in the package deal. That pinpointer only has a 1/2" range. I bought one, used it once and it has sat in the back of my van ever since. You need to spend at least $89 to get a decent pinpointer. I would master your current detector to make sure the hobby is for you. Bounty Hunter does have a pro series and you can get the Land Ranger Pro for anywheres from $230 to $449 retail depending on where you purchase it. The Land Ranger Pro, comes with a 11" DD coil, and will compete with most more expensive mid level detectors from other manufacturers. Let me mention that I am considered a "cheap" thrifty person. If you would like something to run against the high end detectors I'd seriously think of getting the Technetics Classic T2 for $499.

In closing you can spend $230 to compete against detectors that cost $500 - $700 and the T2 costs $499 and it competes well with detectors that cost $800 or more.

You should watch some tutorial videos of detectors you are interested in and some where they are used in actual hunts. To see which one might fit your need the best. Everyone will have their own opinion, I just offered mine. Take it for what it's worth.

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't sell the Bounty Hunters short but you'd be way head following Terry's advice and getting a Tesoro. They hold their value against more expensive detectors.:thumbsup:

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reviews seemed pretty good overall for an entry level machine so I decided to buy one.

The SS2 has GREAT reviews by everybody who has ever touched one for a reason.....

I just picked up a SS2 at a yard sale for $20...unopened box with the accessories like yours. They sell new by themselves without accessories for $169 on Amazon...so you can say you got a deal on it with the accessories for $150. :thumbsup:

The pin-pointer, digging tool, and headphones are crap. The pp only hits a quarter at like 1/8th inch and the digging tool is made for small children hands. Headphones are muddy as hell. The bags are actually decent. :thumbsup:

As you have already read nobody likes BH machines around here. They are considered the Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic by most who drive Ferrari's. I would not trade my SS2 for a 150/250 as it basically rivals those and IMO beats a Compadre in just about every category other than warranty and build quality.

The SS2 is an excellent beginners machine and a great stepping stone into something else further down the road. Has a 5 year warranty you should easily outgrow...great support from First Texas....and (drumroll) gets GREAT reviews from everybody that had touched one. Oh wait...I mentioned that part.

The SS2 will hit a quarter "in dirt" at 7 inches and a dime at 6. Very mineralized Colorado soil. It has great discrimination...variable notch settings....and a Auto-notch that discs out "the usual" trash items. The ID reading is good to 6-6.5 inches on any target larger than a dime. It also has a All Metal mode that will pick up a steel Crosman BB at 4 inches...something I know the Ace 150 won't do....Compadre perhaps.

The Compadre lacks a display readout the SS2 and Ace series have. I like the 9 ID display although many will preach against it. The SS2 is a 3 tone machine...so IMO it is the best of both worlds.

IMO you are trading sideways or down when talking about a Compadre or Ace 150/250 swap.....my opinion only. It rivals the Whites Coinmaster as well for a similar price. It basically rivals ANY machine in its price range and can rival some higher priced ones as well.

I picked up both my BH machines at a yard sale in unopened boxes....SS2 for $20 and LSP for $30. Upgrading to a F-19 within 8-12 months as I figure these will be outgrown by then and become loaners or my kids machines.

The SS2 absolutely a beginner to low-intermediate machine that you can and should outgrow...but IMO if you are not planning on digging 8-14 inches and want to start slow and steady...they are excellent metal detectors.

PM me if you have any questions....I will be more than happy to help.

Here a couple of videos of me going through some features and air tests...... https://youtu.be/POdKhvn3TlA

Here is a video of the first dig I did with it.... https://youtu.be/5ogo2dwiSBQ

Last edited:

Baja

Sep 9, 2015
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur ll -
Minelab CTX-3030 -
White's Spectra V3i -
w/ Sun Ray DX-1 probe -
Fisher F75 ProArc -
w/ Sun Ray Invader FX-1 probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great advice guys, thanks for continuing to help us new guys out with great advice.

OP
OP
T

Thairiam

Oct 3, 2015
Highland, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all for the great input! Lots of good info to think about. I'll post a reply about what I decide in case anyone is interested.
TheHunterGT: I'll check out you videos.

Thanks again
Rich L

Last edited:

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
I agree with getting another detector,,, BUT,, you are going to be " lost " with it too, til you get a lot of practice & experience with it. Read, watch videos , &&& practice.

battles

Sep 16, 2015
Tx
Detector(s) used
Gamma 6000, Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1446240430.628329.jpg

battles

Sep 16, 2015
Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a pretty good detector at a great price.

battles

Sep 16, 2015
Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only cure for over enthusiasm in metal detecting is a cold wet day of digging hole after hole of nothing but trash targets and returning home well after dark totally skunked. That dejected feeling of returning empty handed from 8 hours of hard digging will usually last from 10 - 15 minutes before you manage to warm up again and begin planning tomorrows dig. Good luck with whatever machine -machines you end up with, and use them often, and well.

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought a Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro from walmart.com for 248$ shipped to my house. The Land Ranger Pro has at least twice the depth of my Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505. There will always be a learning curve with a new detector. You need to learn the machine and how it acts to different items this may take a while. Your yard is the best place to play with it right at first. In mine I found horse shoes, wheat Pennys, bullet shells and two silver quarters. Parks may have been hunted before.

David008

Tenderfoot
Oct 27, 2015
Costa Rica
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer II and
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I would recommend you the Tesoro Compadre, it has a low price and it´s great

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread