Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Metal detecting without permission is a gray area but I have plenty of friends who don't ask if it's say like a demo site,they hunt and if caught just mumble and apology and hit the road. There are others that say they get permission but you know they don't and leave huge gaping holes and hunt in the middle of the night when they won't get caught, bad form. There are the few of us that do ask each and every time but get bad rep and run off of places or a just plain "NO!" and the reason given is they have had to run off people who weren't suppose to be there in the past. So short answer,yes get permission each and every time so you can hunt without looking over your shoulder.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... like a demo site.....

Now THERE'S a contentious subject, haha . It would *technically* depend on if oldtown demolition of a public ground spot . But some people think that EVEN FOR THOSE you "need permission". Afterall, there's invariably yellow ribbon and some cones placed around sidewalk tearouts, right ? And heaven forbid you should step over those. Or for public tearouts, there's the "obligatory fences", yet public land none-the-less. Endless shades of grey.

And then there's the private old-town tearouts, yet they are nameless faceless corporations (making way for a McDonalds or Kmart).

A buddy of mine owns a demolition wrecking ball company. And we hunt his sites all the time. Have done good in some of them ! But for his competitor's sites, he also "helps himself". Simply because he's in the industry, and .... well, it's like he knows his way around them, can "drop names", etc....

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I see your point Tom. We we hunting in an area that was to be demoed and asked the owner/ developer permission to hunt there. The house was torn down so we had no qualms about digging there or being uber anal about covering up holes but the back yard was quite wide and we didn't know if they were leaving that " as is." We pulled some nice relics out of the ground there and invited someone who was in our club to go there once or twice but then when we saw what gargantuan holes he was digging asked him to not go there unless we were with him because,we were frankly afraid of getting run off. Long story short the arsehole went back there and just about ruined it for us. We've also had one developer tell us he didn't mind us hunting any site where he had a sign up which was pretty nice. My husband used to be a contractor some he had dropped some names before which sometimes helps and sometimes not.:tongue3:

Curbdog

Feb 1, 2012
North Mid,TN
Detector(s) used
Makro Kruzer, Quest Q20
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've skirted areas in "grey areas" just off battlefields. Have to be real careful though!

I've heard of park rangers grabbing individuals and then saying they were IN the battlefield. Who do you think the judge would believe?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 1230034

I'll let the bottom of the Fugio answer for me.

That may not work if you're doing your business on the property of certain folks.

31162_purty_mouth.jpg

1hyoed.jpg

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I guess some play using civilized manners to ask permission to hunt on land they do not own and others take chances. Wonder how those who choose to hunt without permission would feel if a stranger took those liberties with their property???? One must ask themselves these questions because I have found when the shoe is on the other foot you get the appropriate response then!

Or you could play like I said the chances and possibly God forbid shot and killed by the property owner if they are the sort that shoots then ask questions. One might say that the shooter would be arrested and go to prison in that event. I ask you this in that case, what good will that do a "DEAD" you in that case?????

So please don't make it hard on the rest of us that ask for permission and are courteous to the land/homeowner.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out here in the wild, wild West, the property owner has to tell you to leave....if you don't, you can be cited. No sense in shooting anybody over it....property owner might be in big trouble if he does!!

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Out here in the wild, wild West, the property owner has to tell you to leave....if you don't, you can be cited. No sense in shooting anybody over it....property owner might be in big trouble if he does!!

But to a DEAD you or whomever is not any consolation at the end of the day. I am not saying you will get shot, just saying some folks take their property seriously and much less reasons have gotten people shot and "kilt" as we say in the south!!!!:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread