New to MDing - need advice

USAFACol

Nov 1, 2015
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife gave me an ACE 250 for Father's Day and I've been using it off and on and am pretty use to it.
I'm in Flagstaff for a few days and am wondering where I should go to use the MD. All the ghost town and other sites are very uninformative. Would someone give me some recommendations? I know the reservations are a no go, but there has to be somewhere to search. Thank you for any help you provide.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Hopefully you'll get input and direction.

Otherwise, welcome to TNet, and you really oughta stick around for a while - so much to learn here - and things you'd never thought of before - it is addictive, and you'll make friends. Keep the faith :)

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
[h=2]CITY PARKS[/h][h=3][/h][h=3]Buffalo Park[/h]
Flagstaff's most beloved park! With spectacular views of the San Francisco Peaks, novice and veteran hikers will discover access to a vast network of trails including the Flagstaff Urban Trail System (FUTS), Coconino National Forest trails and Arizona Trail.
[h=3][/h][h=3]Bushmaster Park[/h]
With multiple playgrounds, tennis courts, basketball courts, ramadas, bark park and skate park, Bushmaster has amenities for the entire family. The park is home to Concerts in the Park as well as the Children’s Music Festival each summer.
[h=3][/h][h=3]Foxglenn Park[/h]
Foxglenn Park is home to events such as Soar Into Spring Kite Festival and the Northern Arizona Celtic Heritage Festival along with many soccer, softball and baseball activities. The park offers multiple ramadas, skate park, soccer fields and ball fields, as well as access to the FUTS trails.
[h=3][/h][h=3]Heritage Square[/h]
Located in the heart of historic downtown, Heritage Square is filled with music, movies, live performances, art festivals and other special events throughout the year. This outdoor venue is home to Movies on the Square and Summer Nights on the Square as well as Children Squared programs.
[h=3][/h][h=3]Thorpe Park[/h]
Thorpe Park is conveniently located just west of downtown. Playgrounds, trails, picnic ramada, basketball and tennis courts, ball fields, bark park and northern Arizona's premier disc golf course are among the recreation opportunities available.
[h=3][/h][h=3]Wheeler Park[/h]
Most days during the summer months Wheeler Park will be full of craft festivals, live entertainment, running events or community programs. Located near downtown, Wheeler Park is the perfect place to enjoy some down time.
[h=2]COCONINO COUNTY PARKS[/h][h=3][/h][h=3]Coconino County Parks and Recreation Department[/h]
Throughout the year, outdoor enthusiasts can enjoy multi-use trails, archery and the many events and outdoor recreation programs offered by Coconino County Parks and Recreation. Unique recreation programs area designed according to the season and engage participants to be active outdoors while exploring County parks. Programs vary from nature walks, geology hikes and guided snowshoeing for various ages to outdoor adventure, archery and summer camp for youth. Visit the website for a program catalog and to register for activities.
[h=3][/h][h=3]Fort Tuthill County Park[/h]
Formerly a National Guard training facility, the historic fort is Coconino County's premier regional park and a year-round recreation destination. The park is home to the County Fairgrounds, Pepsi Amphitheater, Flagstaff Extreme Adventure Course, campground, equestrian facilities, archery range, picnic areas, tennis courts, a multi-use trails system and more. The park hosts a myriad of events, including the County Fair, trail runs and bike races, dog shows, equestrian events, concerts and festivals. New this year, test out your skills at the mountain bike skills park.
[h=3][/h][h=3]Peaks View County Park[/h]
Overlooking the breathtaking San Francisco Peaks, Peaks View County Park in Doney Park, north of Flagstaff, features picnic areas and ramadas, a playground, walking trail and bridle path, and a sports field with an artificial turf for soccer and softball use. A new neighborhood equestrian arena is a welcome feature for community members and residents.
[h=3][/h][h=3]Pumphouse County Natural Area[/h]
  • 3305 Kachina Trail, 7 miles south of Flagstaff, Exit 333 off of I-17·
  • (928) 679-8000
  • coconino.az.gov/parks
One of the rarest wildlife habitats in Arizona, this natural area is a spring-fed wetland with higher biological activity than the surrounding landscape. It attracts elk, fox, deer, waterfowl, wintering bald eagles, songbirds and small mammals. Hike the Pumphouse Nature Trail, an easy 3/4-mile round-trip trail with wildlife viewing blinds, stone benches and educational displays.
[h=3][/h][h=3]Raymond County Park[/h]
Raymond County Park offers a spectacular view of the San Francisco Peaks along with a ball field, picnic ramadas, basketball court and a climbing wall. Stretch your legs and be sure and check out the watchable wildlife viewing platform, adjacent to Pumphouse County Natural Area.
[h=3][/h][h=3]Rogers Lake County Natural Area[/h]
  • 10 miles southwest of Flagstaff on Woody Mountain Rd., Forest Road 231·
  • (928) 679-8000
  • coconino.az.gov/parks
Rogers Lake is a high-elevation wetland important to numerous wildlife species including elk, black bear, pronghorn, bald eagles, wading birds and migrating waterfowl. Experience striking vistas while out hiking and biking in this 2,250-acre natural area. The area has prehistoric sites and scatter areas dating back 5,000 years, in addition to old railroad beds and log structures from Flagstaff’s sheep herding and logging era.
[h=3][/h][h=3]Sawmill Multicultural Art and Nature County Park[/h]
Meander around the backyard wildlife habitat gardens and see how a contaminated industrial site can be transformed into an environmental amenity. Built on a "brownfield" where one of Flagstaff's first sawmills operated, this community park showcases public art that celebrate the diversity of the surrounding community. The park also hosts Willow Bend Environmental Education Center’s green building.

Grimcow

May 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am in Flag too and am pretty new to this also. Terry seems to know whats going on :P. It sounds like anywhere that there has been a fair amount of people. I have wondered if maybe some of the trails up here wouldnt be a good place to check out. Anyways let me know if you find anything good or any cool spots. Like I said I am in the same area and new to the game too so would be fun to collaborate if this snow ever clears out

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
USAFAcol, you're right that typical ghost-town books and websites, are usually no good for our purposes. They tend to focus on the touristy places. Or .... *obvious* places. And any such obvious coffee-table type books are for RV people (eg.: Sunset home and garden ghost towns of the West" type books). And so they've either been pounded to death by other md'rs, or are a nightmare of trash and target shooting (bullet shells, campfire junk, etc...) all over. Or they're just modern glitzed up tourist attractions (Tombstone, etc....)

A buddy and I had several such books with us, and took off through So. CA, AZ, and NM years ago. Within a few stops, we figured the books (even though decked out with mouthwatering pix sometimes) were of no use. The mere fact of "being no secret" didn't help. So we wised up and went into various museums we came to, small town libraries and started sluething for obscure books, articles, etc... And if we found something interesting (stage stop citations, emigrant camp spot names/locations, etc....), we would then cross-reference to see if they were well-documented and in the coffee-table type books. If they weren't, and we found scant few other references, THEN we would go hit them. We started finding old stuff then :)

And don't be thinking you're necessarily looking for "bodie type" ghost towns. Eg.: still standing spaghetti western type ruins. On the contrary: locations of past watering holes, stage stops, fort sites, emigrant camp sites, etc... can be nothing but a naked cross-roads, with nothing visible to indicate anything was ever there. Hence the "coffee table" type books tend to focus on the ones that have some sort of ruins still visible. While a mere emigrant camp spot is not interesting enough to be in such books, if nothing is there to see.

Also we did good just driving the back-roads of old routes that link 2 old cities. And we'd look for any out of place fruit trees, chimney, foundation, or any other such indications of where a habitation or stop spot had been.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread