Wireless headphones. How do you get them to work?

Blitzriuriu

Aug 3, 2015
Latvia
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro 11DD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all, sorry for another headphone thread. Either the search function of the forum does not work or there are no similar question to mine.

Hello, I have a Eurotek Pro detector. It has 1/4" plug. And I am looking into buying headphones. I brought 2$ ones at local super market just for a test. It had ear cushions and controllable volume thing and I used adapter from 1/4"to 1/8" to get them to work. Problem was that every time I bent down to a plug, either the headphones got tangled with the rear end of the detector or I hit the wire with shovel. I got so frustrated that I began to hate the idea of using headphones at all.

Now 2 months later I feel the need to get the headphones again. I am hunting close to other houses and so I do not want to annoy people with my beeping. But I do not want to make the same mistake again of buying headphones with wires, so I am looking into alternatives.

So I have been looking at couple of 20$ wireless headphones in local shops. But how do they work? Can I buy one and somehow connect it with detector or does it come with 1/8" plug thing that I plug in my detector so it has connection?

How do you use wireless headphones?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck finding one that doesn't have lag...

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have to have a transmitter that plugs into the headphone jack of the detector and a receiver that the headphones plug into.

One method is to use an mp3 player and set it to an unused FM station. You can get a relatively cheap ($15) Scosche FM tx off Amazon or other vendors.

http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-tuneI...d=1446481414&sr=1-6&keywords=scosche+wireless

Scosche tuneIN Universal FM transmitter FMT4R B&H Photo Video

I have one of these but it has an annoying background hum that bugs me. And like TH said it is not quite the same as a good set of headphones - although the earbuds and a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter plugged directly work for casual detecting. You also have one more thing to feed batteries to, although it goes a long time on a pair of AAA. I have a Sansa MP3 player that is tiny and clips to my shirt as a receiver (that's rechargable). I ended up retiring it to home us when I want to watch TV and the wife doesn't want to hear it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Blitzriuriu

Aug 3, 2015
Latvia
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro 11DD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck finding one that doesn't have lag...
I did not knew wireless headphones had lag. Thanks for the advice!

You have to have a transmitter that plugs into the headphone jack of the detector and a receiver that the headphones plug into.

One method is to use an mp3 player and set it to an unused FM station. You can get a relatively cheap ($15) Scosche FM tx off Amazon or other vendors.

http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-tuneI...d=1446481414&sr=1-6&keywords=scosche+wireless

Scosche tuneIN Universal FM transmitter FMT4R B&H Photo Video

I have one of these but it has an annoying background hum that bugs me. And like TH said it is not quite the same as a good set of headphones - although the earbuds and a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter plugged directly work for casual detecting. You also have one more thing to feed batteries to, although it goes a long time on a pair of AAA. I have a Sansa MP3 player that is tiny and clips to my shirt as a receiver (that's rechargable). I ended up retiring it to home us when I want to watch TV and the wife doesn't want to hear it.
I did see this kind of system somewhere, It worked but the guys ended up ditching their self made set-ups and going back to wired headphones.

Thanks for the advice though, I will look into this!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one for the CTX3030 works pretty good but I know many after market bluetooths headphones have lag and ever a 1 sec lag can make it difficult...

aditemonroe15

Greenie
Sep 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why don’t you try any Bluetooth headphones? I think that’s the perfect solution for your problem. The price range will vary as the Bluetooth headphones are much costlier than the ordinary ones. If you have to get a good one, you have to pay. There are no shortcuts for that. I’m using AKG K845BT Bluetooth Headphones brought from Toronto (Bay Bloor Radio) and it sounds great with good build quality.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've bought a fair share of higher quality equipment from BBR while living in the big smoke. Just wondering what detector you have these headphones on and did they change the tone over what one would hear over a standard pair of detector headphones?

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 2.4GHz headphones work great if you can find some and have no lag problem, they used to sell some at radio shack but I'm not sure if they still have any of the 2.4GHz ones. HH

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a set of rapoo's, Zero lag, But sound quality is not perfect with my machines so far. I have used with a etrac and f75. But they work with not lag.

SteveJJ

May 18, 2015
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher F75 (for sale)
Fisher Gold Bug 2
White's TDI SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wireless headphones on a budget.

How do you use wireless headphones?

Old thread but apropos.

I tried somewhat successfully to use Bluetooth transmitter with bluetooth headphones. Worked but had bad lag. The same BT Transmitter (plugged into headphone jack in case you didn't figure that part) has APT-X capability, with very little lag, so to work it requires headphones with APT-X technology. My old Motorola Buds have this and work pretty well, but the battery is aging and doesn't run long, so rather than pop $60+ on another set of APT-X headphones, I chose a $20 headphone that arrived used and grimy so returned it, ordered a $30 Pyle 7 which users claim has long battery life. It does not have APT-X so used the $11 doosl FM transmitter I got with the creepy cheapy headphones. That combo works great! No detectable lag, even less than APT-X (they claim 40 milliseconds lag but my ear still hears it). I just found another wheat penny in my yard, so I know it works. I also noted subtleties previously unheard. This is going to be great!

So for $40 I have an FM transmitter and headphones that can do Bluetooth music, Bluetooth phone calls (has microphone somewhere they say), FM radio, and play music on a SD card (but like the old iPod suffle, you just jump one song ahead or behind and don't get to see what's coming). It comes with an SD to microSD adapter so will roll with what you have, which is good as I've a few SD cards that no longer have a camera to work with (aren't smart phones great?)

Mounting: The FM transmitter will be attached with velcro to the armrest using a 6" right angled stereo 3.5mm jumper plugged into an old radio shack (remember them?) 1/4" to 3.5mm stereo adapter that is pretty low profile. Anything that sticks out will get snagged, so least is best.

Comfort: I'm pretty happy with my multi-use headphones, but I'd like it if they fit my fat head better.

Stability: The transmitter is a phase-locked loop variety so will likely hold it's frequency throughout the battery charge. I could not detect any detuning of my Fisher F75 having it plugged into the headphone jack to do not anticipate problems moving it a few inches around the bend to between the "legs" it can set on. The tuning buttons will be more out of the way so long as I don't set it down on pointy rocks.

Audiophilia: I've lost lots of my high range hearing, and have constant tinnitus, so I'm a poor judge these days, but from what *I* can hear, it's good.

I hope this provides you with options that can work for you, on a budget even!

Happy Hunting!

Waterbug

Jul 6, 2005
Iowa
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, XLT & GoldmasterV/SAT
Fisher 1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After researching,I found that for wireless, no lag time in the transmission, you need that both the BT transmitter and the BT headphones have "apt-x Low Latency" technology. I think most people can't get their wireless headphones to sync properly is because the transmitter and headphones are not matched together with the apt-x Low Latency feature. I also found that apt-x alone does not reduce lag time to none at all. I'll be testing my new BT wireless headphones as soon as the transmitter arrives.

TwistedT

Nov 15, 2014
Westmoreland County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher F5,
Garrett ATP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the Garrett Z-lynk wireless system has practically zero lag.
been using them for a year now - very good.

read my review of them here detecting365.com/garrett-z-lynk-wireless-kit-review/

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread