Nel coil overloading under water

CapeTownBeachBum

Sep 21, 2014
Cape Town
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 Teknetics G2 Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Has anyone used one of these Nel coils underwater yet ? I got a Nel Storm for my G2 with extra coil cord so I could detach the control box for water mounting ... it overloads when submerged deeper than 300mm ... tried everything (lowered gain and threshold and scraping the coil along the bottom) but it cant take the water above the coil .... my 11" was perfectly at home in the water at depths of 1.2m (thats as long as the cord is!)
Is it the coil size perhaps ? and is there anything I can do about it ???

Nel are blaming the sand here but I keep explaining its the damn coil that cant be submerged ... Our sand is perfectly fine ....

The coil itself is ultra stable even in waves and does give a few cm's more depth .... the coverage per swing is also a bonus .... but I did buy the damn thing for water hunting and its useless at that !

OP
OP
C

CapeTownBeachBum

Sep 21, 2014
Cape Town
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
They seem to make them for the AT Pro which is a water machine so hoping to hear from someone who uses a large Nel coil underwater J ....

treasure diver ct

Mar 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They fit to the excal with abit of modding so they should be the only thing I can think of is your machine coil combo in the water?

OP
OP
C

CapeTownBeachBum

Sep 21, 2014
Cape Town
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
They fit to the excal with abit of modding so they should be the only thing I can think of is your machine coil combo in the water?
The 11" does fine in the water ... taken it all the way down to 1.2m .... only overloads from the bottom when raised off the sand under water .... if it was putting out too much power then turning the gain down to 20 should have helped but it does not .... so im out of ideas ...

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting.. so if the water is 1m deep, you put the coil in and when you are just below the surface at 1foot the machine overloads and stays that way no matter what you do with the settings..
Assuming this is salt water?
If it is salt water, get a larger plastic trash can or barrel, fill it with fresh water and submerge it. If it does not over load, take the same barrel to the beach and fill it with salt water and retry.. May help narrow down the issue.. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread