Beware when buying a T2

ridgeyman

Nov 17, 2015
UK
Detector(s) used
Deus, T2, Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi I have a problem with my T2. Ground Balance stuck on 90. Depth on gold wedding ring 2". I wrote to Tecnetics in good faith & this is the reply received today....

Quote...Hi have today received this reply from the makers of T2 Detectors. BEWARE.
Quote.

Hello Alan,

If you are not the original owner this unit no longer has warranty, warranty is only valid to the original buyer.

This would require the coil to be sent in for service which would be costly, you would be required to ship the item to us in El Paso, TX USA.

Being that the unit is not under warranty I might be less costly to just buy a new search coil.

Thank You,
Juan A. Trivizo
Bounty Hunter/Teknetics Customer service
First Texas Products
(915)633-8354 Ext:112

& my reply
Thanx for your eventual reply. I thought the warranty was on the detector
not the owner??? This is a rip off that I will publicize widely on our
detecting forums. I might just chuck it in the bin & buy a
minelab.........Disgusted.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ground balance is set at 90 when unit is turned on. In mild soil, like in my area, my GB does not change from 90 in many spots. It doesn't necessarily mean that it is stuck.

Have you tried other targets like quarter, dimes etc?

Did you just buy machine used? If you are sure there is a problem with the machine I would take up issue with the person you bought it from not the manufacturer who clearly states warranty is for original purchaser.

I have had very good service from FT I would say as good as whites and better tan Tesoro. Go ahead and get a Minelab but you can expect very high repair bills if you had same issue with an out of warranty machine of machine.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buyer beware when buying used, especially the T2, there are many counterfeits out there. Before I would ever pull the trigger on a used T2 I would have the manufacturer verify the serial number. Heck, the T2 price dropped from over $800 to $499 for a new one. Hopefully you paid less than $499. When I buy used, I have always purchased from Craigslist. This way I can touch it, test it, hold it, and try it out before I pull out the cash. I have had nothing but great service from First Texas. They even upgraded my F75 LTD SE even though I was not the original owner and the detector warranty had expired. I have also had to get it repaired due to a bonehead accident on my part. The price was very reasonable and way less than I anticipated. I have nothing but praise for FT. Both time I sent the detector in I had it back in 10 days, 6 to 7 days were transportation time.

I doubt that your post will gain any traction with FT users or other metal detectorist on this site. I believe you need to become a smart consumer. Your gripe is "off target", it should be against the seller, not the manufacturer IMHO. You should also realize that you carry much of the blame.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt that your post will gain any traction with FT users or other metal detectorist on this site.

You're right about that. In today's world when you buy anything used for more money than you would be willing to burn, you either make damn sure the product works as you expect it to, or have some type of recourse in place... return policy, ability to file a claim etc.. If you don't do this and get burnt consider it a lesson learned and certainly don't blame a 3rd party who had nothing to do with it.

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is exactly the reason I prefer to buy new. I Like the piece of mind that a warranty provides.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You bought a used detector and expected the warranty to follow? Wow, grow up man. There are very few companies that will transfer a warranty. almost every warranty says "for the original owner". I have no sympathy for you.

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is exactly the reason I prefer to buy new. I Like the piece of mind that a warranty provides.

I'm the same way. It's worth paying the price to have that no hassle period, and we're only talking about hundreds of dollars, not thousands. Buying used you save the money because of risk, and some of the companies, at least Minelab has made the risk so great on some of their detectors it's not worth taking the chance unless you steal the thing. So it's a little ironic the OP says about buying a Minelab because if you picked up an old Explorer and had an issue with it your problem would not be Minelab telling you to send it in.... your problem would be them telling you to not send it in! (Because they won't touch it)

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It doesn't matter what a person purchases in this world that the warranty isn't transferable it seems. An auto maybe and the auto company will pump the crap out of the ad to let you know that. We have spent large amounts of money on quality products that come with 10-50yr warranties and every one is non transferable when we sell which sucks big time as what difference does it make who owns the product. It's just the way the world works and just another way of getting out of a promise to warrant a product that they made. Just dealing with a mattress that has a lifetime warranty on it, it turns out life is 10 yrs, and it works like a battery or tire it will be prorated. There is a few upstanding companies out there and the one that comes to mind is my Grey ghost headphones, no issues, broken they just fix them.:thumbsup:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
not the owner. This is a rip off that I will publicize widely on our

Transferable warranties are rare in this country. Most products are warranted to the original purchaser. Some states even mandate that "Lifetime Warranties" be specified (NY recognizes 15 years as a lifetime or a product; manufacturer may go longer).

I will say that I bought a used Minelab that came with spare coil that was damaged and it was included in the deal as "here, but it is broke". I sent it to Minelab (my cost after receiving a return goods authorization number) and they repaired the yanked out wires for the connector and returned it to me for $15. I think that was splendid product representation; but then they weren't shipping it overseas.

Nikon has a Lifetime Warranty for the lifetime of the product to the original purchasing consumer. I have a pair of marine binoculars that, after 25 years, the internal compass backlight failed and the rubber eyecups were cracked. I sent them in for service and they sent me a brand new pair at no charge! THAT is why it pays to do business with well established companies. But I doubt they would have done that if I was not the registered purchaser. And I register EVERYTHING that I buy that has a warranty for that reason. Have a file for the dated receipts on larger purchases as well.

kyskinner

Oct 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
T2se. tesero tejon. white xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I have a problem with my T2. Ground Balance stuck on 90. Depth on gold wedding ring 2". I wrote to Tecnetics in good faith & this is the reply received today....

Quote...Hi have today received this reply from the makers of T2 Detectors. BEWARE.
Quote.

Hello Alan,

If you are not the original owner this unit no longer has warranty, warranty is only valid to the original buyer.

This would require the coil to be sent in for service which would be costly, you would be required to ship the item to us in El Paso, TX USA.

Being that the unit is not under warranty I might be less costly to just buy a new search coil.

Thank You,
Juan A. Trivizo
Bounty Hunter/Teknetics Customer service
First Texas Products
(915)633-8354 Ext:112

& my reply
not the owner??? This is a rip off that I will publicize widely on our

I know that i had a ground balance problem stuck on 90 a couple of times,i found out that it was junk under my coil.So just make sure that when you ground balance that there isnt any junk under it.If that dosent work then go to all metal mode and manual ground balance it. see if it work Good luck.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmmm...seems the original post was like spitting into the wind
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447931893.464127.jpg

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
It sounds to me like not enough homework was done before purchasing it used. It happens man. You have a great machine and with a new coil it'll be a force.

I think in all fairness your title should be "Beware purchasing a used T2". Otherwise it just sounds like slander because they actually didn't do anything wrong as a company.

Good luck

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure but, I think White's has transferable warranties.....

Yes these are transferable- Whites, Minelab, Garrett, Nokta/Makro, and the T2 or F75 machines if it was upgraded recently I found out.

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you purchased a used item, car, or detectors, or TV, or something else. you are buying other people problems. Buy new.

Amen, I've never gotten rid of a great car, it's always when it needs more work than its worth.. lol

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes these are transferable- Whites, Minelab, Garrett, Nokta/Makro, and the T2 or F75 machines if it was upgraded recently I found out.

Only in the region it was purchased in originally. If I buy a Spanish CTX and bring it to the USA, they will tell me I have to send it to the Spain repair center (or whatever repair center for them) and vice versa. The OP is complaining that he would have to ship his detector back to the US for repairs (if it is still covered by warranty). It's that way for almost everything, cameras, scuba equipment, diving computers, detectors, and probably almost everything else.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you bought it used on eBay or Amazon, you can ask the seller to accept it back. If he refuses, they (Amazon or eBay) will refund your money and take it out of the seller's account.

You can't sell damaged goods online, unless you specifically state in the listing the item is "for parts or not working". Amazon and eBay won't tolerate sellers trying to pawn off junk to unwitting buyers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread