Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't believe none of the Florida folk have responded to this question saying something like "When it gets cold out the sand is still easy to dig". Anytime one of us northern diggers talk about the cold, they have to chime in, you'll see. Actually I've never tried digging in the sand in these temperatures. NY has been pretty mild for November so far, but I'll bet it's a lot easier than digging in the dirt.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Getting pretty cold here in Connecticut and the ground is getting difficult to dig in already. Only a couple hours of sun a day warm enough to keep the ground warm. Never been beach hunting. How are the beaches in colder weather to detect in CT? The sands got to be a little easier to dig.

D

I hit water spots once the ground freezes. Those freeze last...I have a couple creeks set aside for when the time comes. I've done beaches and the sand I've dug sometimes freezes but is often Ok.

It's hard work for almost nothing. It's just about getting out in the winter for me

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Definitely give the beach a try. As long as its not covered in snow should be ok to detect. We get a lot of nice days in the winter. Sunny days with no wind are the best. I hunt wet and dry sand in winter. Of course forget about recent drops but beaches are big and sometimes you can find things where other hunters don't normally detect like those areas that are generally less crowded during the season. I find that the wet sand keeps producing because of tidal movement. There are some brave souls who hunt in the winter water and seem to do well. Like the friendly ghost.

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Us North East guy's are a tough bunch. I gold mine in northern NH. thinking about going this weekend. Air temp should be in the upper 30's water will be around 40 some thing. But who cares I'll be ready for the conditions and it'll be great!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beaches are still fairly easy to hunt in winter. Dress warm.
I've only encountered a thin frozen crust that my scoop went thru easily.
I didn't get down to the beach this past winter when the icebergs were sitting on them, must have been quite a sight!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Head to the woods when the ground starts freezing. The leaves in the woods insulate the ground, so it stays soft for weeks after the fields have frozen solid.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting pretty cold here in Connecticut and the ground is getting difficult to dig in already

Where the heck do you live in Connecticut that the ground is frozen already? The ground here in RI is as soft as it can be right now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread