digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
I've noticed that when I get a really strong signal, I can tell that it's around 2 to 3 inches, or shallower, by how loud the signal is. The depth reads usually around 6 inches. Most of the time I will run thru Std coin and zero, and , Pro coin and zero just to try to get a better picture of what's there.

I will find something about the depth I thought it was , but there will be nothing else deeper.

Why am I getting a deeper depth?

Does it have something to do with Sensitivity?

Thanks!

Using 5 X 8 coil.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How high are you swinging? The depth isnt always dead on the display due to sizeof the object. Is it pinpoint that range or just when you swing over it. I would reccomend running it in Pro mode all the time. Nothing to benifit from Std.

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMO the AT Pro was designed to work as a unit with the 8x11". Changing the size of the coil affects the signal strength and the way the machine reads depth. I noticed the same thing when I first used the 5x8 and still do. I get hits that'll say 8"+ and be 4-5". Does it happen all the time? No, but more so then the stock coil.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
going by the audio is the most accurate with any coil on atp..all machines can have depth display issues especially when not a coin sized object.

OP
OP
digger460

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Bigfoot. I find myself relying on the sound more then the depth. Just wondered why the depth was different then the find. Once again I learned somtin. Thanks much!!:thumbsup:

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't even look at the depth on my AT with the 8x5. I just dig a nice juicy horseshoe plug and let my Carrott find the pull tab.:laughing7:

pencil5757

Apr 29, 2006
Jasper Texas
Detector(s) used
-Garrett AT-PRO, Ace 250&350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO the AT Pro was designed to work as a unit with the 8x11". Changing the size of the coil affects the signal strength and the way the machine reads depth. I noticed the same thing when I first used the 5x8 and still do. I get hits that'll say 8"+ and be 4-5". Does it happen all the time? No, but more so then the stock coil.

DITTO!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions