patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would the old time miners and explorers think about these modern times we live in ? You can't do this, you can't go there, you gotta get a permit etc etc.

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would the old time miners and explorers think about these modern times we live in ? You can't do this, you can't go there, you gotta get a permit etc etc.
things now a days tend to handcuff us

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well...america keeps voting rule makers in.bigger isnt better when it comes to those who would say no to us.food for thought

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
why do you think BLM is a no-no for md'ing ? This link says "... california", but I'm sure it's applicable to blm land in/on other states too:

Metal Detecting, Bureau of Land Management, California

As for the part about "artifacts" and "cultural", I suppose if you asked enough purist archies: "how is that defined?", they'd say "objects over 50 yrs. old". Ok, fine, then don't find objects over 50 yrs. old then. I mean, seriously, when was the last time anyone checked your coins as you detected, calculator-in-hand, doing the math on the age of each coin that you find ?? Thus no, md'ing is not dis-allowed on BLM land.

Last edited:
OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why do you think BLM is a no-no for md'ing ? This link says "... california", but I'm sure it's applicable to blm land in/on other states too:

Metal Detecting, Bureau of Land Management, California

As for the part about "artifacts" and "cultural", I suppose if you asked enough purist archies: "how is that defined?", they'd say "objects over 50 yrs. old". Ok, fine, then don't find objects over 50 yrs. old then. I mean, seriously, when was the last time anyone checked your coins as you detected, calculator-in-hand, doing the math on the age of each coin that you find ?? Thus no, md'ing is not dis-allowed on BLM land.
i guess the blm person was a rookie

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BLM in Colorado is an big YES to MDing as long as you are not on a private claim and are prospecting for a minerals and not MDing for historical stuff.

Tom is right on this one...I would absolutely take mine and detect. If I found a silver or an old gold coin....my grandfather gave it to me.

The whole "50 years" rule is nonsense and even my local USDA and BLM guys think so...although they will enforce that rule if they catch you red-handed.

I told them I will be out looking for "minerals" like silver and gold.....I even told them sarcastically that if that mineral happened to be round and had a date stamped on it....I'm not turning it in. They nervously laughed at that.

Each time I have MDed out there....the USDA ad BLM guys just drive by and wave. Not once have they stopped to check what I have....just to make sure my plates have the right tags.

Pro-tip....throw a couple small stones in your finds pouch that look like they "might" have gold in them. There are the minerals you came to "prospect" for....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
i guess the blm person was a rookie

What was the circumstance by-which you bumped into this guy ? Did he A) see you out detecting, and boot you? Or B) was this some blm person you went and asked "can I metal detect?".

If it was the latter, welcome to the "sometimes no one cares till you asked" club. Ie.: the safe answer. But if it was the former, then yes: he was mis-informed. You could correct him. Or you can just make it simple and detect when such busy-bodies are not around at lower traffic times :)

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What was the circumstance by-which you bumped into this guy ? Did he A) see you out detecting, and boot you? Or B) was this some blm person you went and asked "can I metal detect?".

If it was the latter, welcome to the "sometimes no one cares till you asked" club. Ie.: the safe answer. But if it was the former, then yes: he was mis-informed. You could correct him. Or you can just make it simple and detect when such busy-bodies are not around at lower traffic times :)
it was a woman

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
it was a woman

And tell us what brought about this meeting between you and her:

1) Did you go in and ask "can I metal detect", and she was the one who fielded your question? Or

2) Did she approach you as you were md'ing and say "you can't do that ?"

Curious minds want to know :)

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And tell us what brought about this meeting between you and her:

1) Did you go in and ask "can I metal detect", and she was the one who fielded your question? Or

2) Did she approach you as you were md'ing and say "you can't do that ?"

Curious minds want to know :)
we have detected there before no problem but my cousin told her what we were going to do and she said no.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
we have detected there before no problem but my cousin told her what we were going to do and she said no.

Aha :) And "telling the ranger what you/he was going to do" is a close second cousin to asking their say-so or permission. And hence the moral of the story here is: If there is a place that has been "no problem" to detect (your own words), then always best to leave it that way.

I too can think of places that you can detect till you're blue in the face, and never have a problem (barring unless you were being an absolute nuisance or leaving holes, etc...). Yet as much as those places are "no problem", yet I bet that if I asked long enough and hard enough, of various bureaucrats there, that someone would say "no". Moral of the story ? Don't ask silly questions, and you won't get silly answers :)

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are "looking for minerals".....in multiple forms.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread