Dangers of improper battery storage

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is absolutely beautiful, but overkill. I go through batteries, and would not like dragging that heavy thing around. I use:

6199829.01.prod.jpg

$1.50 at Fry's, and they carry twelve at a time. I have them for AA, AAA, C, and 9V.

Mike

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A big selling item for last Christmas was this thing you ride on, and the battery has cause many fires including when people are riding them. Do not buy this item.

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Everyone keeps talking about " dragging " the box or it being " heavy " but it is to stay in my vehicle. Right now the AA's are rattling around in a couple of the cup holders since I use rechargeables. Either my writing skills are lacking or some of you don't comprehend very well lol. The box's intention is safe and central storage, not ease of mobility. I have no need to carry the batteries on my person[emoji23].

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice box... well done!

Many moons ago when deer hunting in MI. I had a 9-volt "problem". In Dec. I'm 20ft. up in a tree archery hunting. Temp was COLD... (5-10 degrees F.) I'm trying out my new electric socks powered with a 9-volt battery. They worked great. I put a spare 9-volt in my pants pocket in case I needed it. Then I put on a snowmobile suit and a pair of wool pants. I'm standing in the tree and my left front thigh starts to itch. Then it starts to itch pretty bad... I'm moving around to try and quell the itch because I can't scratch it. After another 30 seconds I've gone beyond an itch to... my damn thigh feels like it's on FIRE! I hung up the bow, took off my one glove and started undoing my outer belt. Down go the wool pants. Now I'm unzipping the suit and my thigh is really burning. I reach into my pocket and it was like picking up a hot coal. The change in my pocket had caused a dead short on the battery. That battery got so hot it burned my thigh and I had long johns on also!!!! I must of looked so stupid stripping on that little platform in that frigid weather.

The worst part was the deer standing there watching you.:laughing7:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The worst part was the deer standing there watching you.:laughing7:

Hey Chris.... I've always said... There's nothing like a dose of pain to change EVERYTHING! That battery hit mine attention meter real quick... THEY GET HOT REAL QUICK. I just highly advise to not do it 20ft. in the air on a 24" x 18" platform.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone keeps talking about " dragging " the box or it being " heavy " but it is to stay in my vehicle. Right now the AA's are rattling around in a couple of the cup holders since I use rechargeables. Either my writing skills are lacking or some of you don't comprehend very well lol. The box's intention is safe and central storage, not ease of mobility. I have no need to carry the batteries on my person[emoji23].

:laughing7: Plus all that plastic those other guys are using is bad for the environment! Geeeez We shovel dirt around, walk all over the country, then complain when a battery box looks too heavy? :laughing7: Ohhh wait...You did say you weren't carrying it? Right? :laughing7:

Either way! I'm just having fun! :laughing7:

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever have a 9v in your front pocket with some change. ? ? ?

Will definitely perk up a dull day detecting.
And leaves a nice red mark.

Learned that the hard way when I was young. heh

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

A little late with that post story.... some of us have been there done that earlier.... :occasion14: But your absolutely RIGHT!

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Don't think I have, but I did overfill my Zippo a few times as a kid:laughing7:. Same effect lol.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work, great craftsmanship - Though I haven't carried batteries in years, probably decades. Minelab's are rechargeable and last as long as you can.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
a 9 volt battery is dangerous because both the + and - post are close together ...thus its very easy for any conductive item to complete the circuit and cause a fire to occur .. one survival tip was to use steel wool and a 9 volt to start a fire ,, I had a in pocket 9 volt react with a copper cent once --it was not fun... on a different note ,,,one should never store a car battery on a cement floor as doing so can draw the charge out of the battery ,,,,

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:laughing7: Plus all that plastic those other guys are using is bad for the environment! Geeeez We shovel dirt around, walk all over the country, then complain when a battery box looks too heavy? :laughing7: Ohhh wait...You did say you weren't carrying it? Right? :laughing7:

Either way! I'm just having fun! :laughing7:

And don't forget I can slap a " Made In America " on the box!:laughing7:. Some Chinaman in Bumf***, China is grateful for the purveyors of the plastic crap

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well in these really cold temps....it may nit be all that bad! :D

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I like it! That is one purty box!

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a 9 volt battery is dangerous because both the + and - post are close together ...thus its very easy for any conductive item to complete the circuit and cause a fire to occur .. one survival tip was to use steel wool and a 9 volt to start a fire ,, I had a in pocket 9 volt react with a copper cent once --it was not fun... on a different note ,,,one should never store a car battery on a cement floor as doing so can draw the charge out of the battery ,,,,
I must disagree about new car batteries. There was leakage way back when the battery cases were made of a different material but now days the new batteries will NOT leak.
Marvin

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whoever made that has a gift.Bet he can make some nice display cases.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
whoever made that has a gift.Bet he can make some nice display cases.

Guy... there are so many talented folks on this site. It amazes me the knowledge and the talent many of the folks on this site have... :thumbsup:

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know!.I figured out most of you guys on here are old wise folks.I guess that is one of the reasons I like tnet so much,who better to learn from?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread