Considering buying one of these... need your advice....

fanninm59

Greenie
Jan 31, 2016
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Detector(s) used
1. Harbor Freight 9 function. 2. Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello. New member, still haven't even bought my first detector yet. My research show promise with these four detectors. I welcome any and all advice.
1. Teknetics G2 Gold Metal Detector. Rationale - 11" DD Elliptical Waterproof Search Coil and 19 kHz (good for gold detecting).
2. Nokta FORS Core Pro Pack Professional Metal Detector with 5.2x4.7" coil, 11.2x7.0" coil, 15.5x13.3" coil; 15 kHz.
3. Tesoro Sand Shark Underwater Metal Detector with 10.5" Coil. 600 pps (pulse induction).
4. Tesoro Vaquero Metal Detector - 14 kHz. And because Tabman said to buy it :)

My intentions are to search dry ground and freshwater, shallow, creeks. I'm interested in gold, coins, rings, and relics.

Thank you for your help.
Mark
Peyton, Colorado

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry you are straight up wrong about the g2.

Last edited by a moderator:

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello. New member, still haven't even bought my first detector yet. My research show promise with these four detectors. I welcome any and all advice.
1. Teknetics G2 Gold Metal Detector. Rationale - 11" DD Elliptical Waterproof Search Coil and 19 kHz (good for gold detecting).
2. Nokta FORS Core Pro Pack Professional Metal Detector with 5.2x4.7" coil, 11.2x7.0" coil, 15.5x13.3" coil; 15 kHz.
3. Tesoro Sand Shark Underwater Metal Detector with 10.5" Coil. 600 pps (pulse induction).

My intentions are to search dry ground and freshwater, shallow, creeks. I'm interested in gold, coins, rings, and relics.

Thank you for your help.
Mark
Peyton, Colorado

If you are going to nugget hunt and coin hunt the g2+ or the forest core are the best on your list. Your being recommended by Terry and tabman a single tone as the same sound over every target. The g2+ has tone break disc and visual id. The fore has multitone also. This is a big purchase. I would watch alot of videos and try to get my hands on a couple to try them before you buy. Any dealers nearby?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If you are going to nugget hunt ...

Curious why you think he's wanting to nugget hunt. Notice he only said "gold" in his list of quests. Yes that could mean prospecting/nuggets. But some people, when they say that, mean gold rings, gold coins, gold bars, etc....

But assuming he does want a cross-over that can do both nuggets AND coins/relics/jewelry, then: Be prepared. Any machine designed to do both, will only be a so-so compromise. There will be better nugget machines, and there will be better coin machines. Ie.: you will get "spanked" when you try to get hardcore in either venue.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He's in Colorado. Wading in creeks I guess. Tom have you used a gold bug pro? It's the same as g2. They are very good coin detectors especially in heavy iron, arguably one the better choices. I have a buddy I hunt with alot he he holds his own against anyone I've detected with.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to hunt on both land and water, you need a waterproof machine with good landing hunting capabilities. Tiger shark would work, it's great for water, but no audio or visual target ID, so it is not the best choice for extensive land hunting. That leaves you with two choices, the AT Pro, or the new Whites Mx Sport that should be out in a few months. The AT is cheaper by a couple hundred dollars, but the new White's machine is looking very good.

The Minelab CTX 3030 is another waterproof machine, but it's pretty pricey.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, there you go! Lot's of suggestions and opinions - Good Luck! :occasion14:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On this website, down load Tesoro, and purchase one from a dealer who is a member here or Kellyco. Keep in touch. I will purchase a Vaquero in April or May. Keep in touch.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to T'Net and to a fantastic hobby. You'll be hooked in no time.

I would personally go with the G2 for general hunting and shallow fresh water. It's a great machine. I know a guy who actually sold his T2 SE and kept the G2. I've been using a Teknetics Delta for last 18 months or so and it's found many treasures. Teknetics is a great band and they hit deep.

The Tesoro PI unit would be great if you're planning on primarily salt water/beach hunting of course but It doesn't sound like that's what you're looking for. I think the G2 will do exactly what you're intending to do and do it very well. I'm actually looking at one myself.

Just my two cents. Whatever you get, get the machine that's right for you and your hunting style and that you really enjoy using. The right "fit" is important. If you love your detector you'll use it more and ultimately find more good treasures.

Last edited:

paul75

Apr 9, 2016
DURHAM GB
Detector(s) used
ebinger ebex pi, nokta fors core.CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thank you for your help.
Mark
Peyton, Colorado

Hi Mark ive only used the nokta fors core out of all these models and can honestly say its a beast on deep targets. Ive dug coins as deep as 14'' in heavily mineralised ground and iron infested and that was with the standard coil. Its so sensitiive to small relics aswell. I even dug down 12'' thinking it was a false signal but there it was a small air gun pellet. They trully are a great detector! Im cleaning up on sites thats been hammered. I was in the same boat not so long ago and i dont regret the decision i made. Ive heard the G2 is a nightmare with electrical interfearance on some sites but the Tesoro models are a good solid detector. I dont know if they will go as deep and sensitive as the Nokta though. But thats just my personal opinion. Also the Nokta has a waterproof coil so its pretty much waterproof up to the handel but the top section isnt. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Terry but for different reasons.
1. 2.8#---------$749 G2
2. 3.9#---------$850 Nokta
3. 5.4#---------$577 Sand Shark
4. 2.2#---------$454 Vasquero:icon_thumleft:

Lightest and happens to be the least expensive.
Marvin

OP, curious as to why you wouldn't choose the AT Pro, as it is the best all round detector according to Kellyco and weighs 3.03#----and cost $594.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry Soloman, do NOT attack supporting members here.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions