tonight History Sneak peek ‘Billion Dollar Wreck’ Tuesday, February 2 10PM eastern

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[h=2][/h] One of the largest and most luxurious ocean liners of its time, Republic sunk shortly after its departure from New York Harbor in the early hours of January 24, 1909. Considered unsinkable, the White Star ship collided with another vessel and now sits at the bottom of the Atlantic. Life-long treasure hunter Martin Bayerle has spent the past 35 years researching Republic and her reputed cargo of 150,000 American Eagle gold coins, a bounty worth billions today. Bayerle’s exhaustive investigation has turned up evidence that points to a deep-rooted cover-up which may involve some of the era’s biggest historical figures, from the Tsar of Russia to Theodore Roosevelt.

then:
History Premieres
the new eight-part series ‘Billion Dollar Wreck’ Monday, February 8

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New-York tribune. (New York [N.Y.]), 26 Jan. 1909.
1.jpg
New-York tribune. (New York [N.Y.]) 1866-1924, January 26, 1909, Page 4, Image 4 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

New-York tribune. (New York [N.Y.]), 26 Jan. 1909.
2.jpg
New-York tribune. (New York [N.Y.]) 1866-1924, January 26, 1909, Page 5, Image 5 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
History channel, 10:00 PM, EST. This is a old story, most if not all the treasures had been recovered and most of the treasures were sold by now.

Last edited:

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
been wanting to see this. thanks for the notice

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
is there somewhere we can see what has been found,should we bother watching the show.
thanks brad
History channel, 10:00 PM, EST. This is a old story, most if not all the treasures had been recovered and most of the treasures were sold by now.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quote in blue :

"This is what we are looking for.

USG20-007-2.jpg
Theses are U.s. Gold Double Eagle Coins.
20 Dollar Gold Pieces , at the time people were earning 6 Dollars a week.
150,000 of these , Total Value in Excess of

1 Billion Dollars !

any Questions ? "

HaHa yea :laughing7: Can I fill my Pockets ? :tongue3:

impressive preview. !

No announcer telling us what we should see,
What we are seeing ,
and what they think,
like we are blind morons.

I hope the whole series is like that !
and I'll enjoy this one :thumbsup:

Last edited:

CTwoods

Dec 9, 2015
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
is there somewhere we can see what has been found,should we bother watching the show.
thanks brad
I'm grateful that I don't have a TV

all I could find on net was they recovered some wine, champagne or whatever, and it was spoiled. The investors for the failed 1987 salvage were at least promised full return of their investment, just in those bottles, if the coins did not exist. It cost $25K to invest. They lost their "assets" :)

I wonder if the only treasure, is "advertising revenue" from EIGHT freaking episodes? Should be very informative, just like Oak island BS

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This looks like some real treasure hunting of more possible (than oak island), but still elusive treasure!

Plus the hunter looks like a pirate, so, I'm all in on this one (he also sounds a bit like Jay Leno)!

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This looks like some real treasure hunting of more possible (than oak island), but still elusive treasure!

Plus the hunter looks like a pirate, so, I'm all in on this one (he also sounds a bit like Jay Leno)!

at first sight I didn't like him.
I thought maybe the Patch was a Fashion Statement, for the Producers.
Which would be a Bit Childish imo
But I'm thinking I was Wrong on that

whitjake

Oct 12, 2013
Warren, Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold bug 2, fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HMMM this one smells fishy a lot more than OI. The guy is a convicted murderer and went broke already once I believe. Now this and I am sure they will lead up to finding NOTHING just like OI

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gave up cable, not sure where the history channel is on free TV. Channel 2, 2.1. maybe?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't impressed. To much drama about about "the incident" without any of the facts. I will tune in for another episode, but it had better be good or I'm dropping it like joke-island.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty disturbing episode tonight. Again, "reality show" editing, but how after an accident do they go on diving...because things are so expensive ($60k/day) without full knowledge of what led to the accident? The dive master at the controls was confused why he was still getting helium when he should have been at oxygen just before the incident. After the show he said it was panic. These dives seem reckless and amateur. Like the first season with the Hoffmans.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty disturbing episode tonight. Again, "reality show" editing, but how after an accident do they go on diving...because things are so expensive ($60k/day) without full knowledge of what led to the accident? The dive master at the controls was confused why he was still getting helium when he should have been at oxygen just before the incident. After the show he said it was panic. These dives seem reckless and amateur. Like the first season with the Hoffmans.

Yeah, I was a bit confused when said that it was the divers first dive? huh? You're saying this was a complete rookie?

the constant "flashbacks" to the shooting indecent are REALLY getting old. I don't GAF about that drama crap. I want to see the dives, the wreck, the recoveries. There is enough inherent problems, drama and surprises in that by its self without all the contrived BS being added in. Considering how much they have "recreated" I wouldn't put it past them to be making up the vast majority just for ratings. I'm on the edge of dumping this show, but I havent yet.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm hooked & will keep watching.
When they said it was the Divers first Dive, I was taking it to mean his first Dive there.
on that Wreck. Not that he was a Complete Newbie.
If he was fresh off the docks , that is pretty Reckless & Probably Illegal.
what wonders me, why not an Airlift ? is it that they are more equipped to treat him then the Hospital ?
I would hope & expect his Diving career anywhere but the hot tub at the playboy mansion is over.
even with a full recovery.

about half way through I was confident of the setup. and as soon as the old bag started
talking, I'd hit fast forward. the soap opera about their lives isn't important to the show or me.
I don't care what any of them did in the past. that's over.
I'm not sure why he is allowing it to be broadcast on his show. Is she a Financial contributor ?

I do wanna see the Plates up close once cleaned.
the Artifacts are just as cool as the Gold to me.
since I'm not on board & able to Share in the wealth if they find it.
it is secondary at this point.

Last edited:

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I have watched this show hoping it would be a breath of fresh air compared to these other Treasure shows, and I am disappointed in it.
When I watch it, I feel like the dad was greedy and blew all his money and now he is blowing his son's money as well with no well thought out plan. He is just guessing that the storage space is in # 5, and he is just guessing that they are looking at # 5. He just seems to obsessed to be making rational judgement. A diver gets in trouble, he doesn't seem to be very concerned other than saying we are loosing money by not diving. IMO I just don't trust this guy and will not watch it again. I will watch this thread just as it provides better quality and value than the show itself. :icon_pirat:

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what wonders me, why not an Airlift ? is it that they are more equipped to treat him then the Hospital ?

They have a recompression chamber on the ship, so airlift would actually be far worse because he would have to delay treatment while flying. Looked like they had a medic jump into the chamber with him because someone was giving him IVs and checking vitals. But with his reactions after the treatment he obviously needs another round and THAT is the time to be getting him into a real hospital baro treatment center. They should have pulled anchor as soon as he was safely on board and headed in. No treasure is worth a diver crippled for life or dead.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread