Metal Detecting Ethics Proposal

SouthTexasHunter

Mar 8, 2015
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As quality targets become more and more scarce with every find, I have come up with a strategy that should give current and future detectorists a better shot at a quality find.
Keep fishing ethics and laws in mind as you read.
I think a "catch and release" sentiment would be a good idea. If you find something good, just take a few pictures with your find then put it back in the hole and cover it back up.
Coins would have to be of "legal age" before they can be harvested. Say any coin less than 65 years old would have to be returned to it's resting place until it matures.
Jewelry would have to be valued at a minimum of $100 to be kept and even still, most ethical detectorists would put it back in the hole and cover it back up so another hunter could enjoy it as well.
A limit of 5 "keepers" per day should be acceptable.
The future of our hobby depends on conserving our resources. As quality targets are depleted, getting our youth involved in the hobby becomes harder and harder. We must keep this hobby we love alive.

As we don't care for government and laws to dictate what we do and how we do it, it is imperative that we police ourselves and hunt ethically and keep the future generations of dirt fishermen interested and involved.
"Don't be a glutton, put back that button"

Thanks for reading.

As I hope yall figured out, this is just a joke. HH

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hmmm i have no words for this :dontknow:

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These newer clad coins won't last very long. If we put them back, the next guy or gal that finds them in a few years won't have anything left to find but an un- recognizable piece of metal that might have been a coin.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this would be a great thing except that a large percentage of the general population are greedy and do not care about the future generations or certainly not future detectorists.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read the bottom line people....he is joking.....

I thought he was bat-poop crazy at first read....... :occasion14:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That was more like "Four Way hit of Orange Sunshine" stuff dude.. :headbang:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
what the heck...lets take it further...take 10% of your earnings and buy silver coins and jewelry of value and just plant it.No No I got it...lets just all put dollar bills under the windshield wipers of every car we park next to.No No lets just open our homes and pantrys to the homeless,they will be cool I'm sure.Or just vote for bernie and accomplish it all at once.

My vote for funniest post of the year !!spit beer on my monitor when I read it !!thanks for the laugh,I needed one.:occasion14:

S

stefen

what the heck...lets take it further...take 10% of your earnings and buy silver coins and jewelry of value and just plant it.No No I got it...lets just all put dollar bills under the windshield wipers of every car we park next to.No No lets just open our homes and pantrys to the homeless,they will be cool I'm sure.Or just vote for bernie and accomplish it all at once.

My vote for funniest post of the year !!spit beer on my monitor when I read it !!thanks for the laugh,I needed one.:occasion14:

Been sniffin airplane glue again...

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Pretty funny post.

I've often wondered if this "put the coin back in the ground" solution would work to stay within cultural heritage laws. Because there's a lot of places where detecting is not specifically dis-allowed , yet it falls under cultural heritage concerns. Well gee, if you re-insert the coins older than 50 yrs. old BACK into the ground, aren't you technically in compliance then ? haha

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe I'll take a job as a Relic warden. I'll write tickets and confiscate your finds. We'll even have decoy coins.

And remember guys, no baiting. You must give the relic a sporting chance
HH, Relic Nut

Last edited:

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Garrett GTI 2500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or maybe collect them and than put them all in a hole so the others will have a lot of coin spills. I will try it but with the coce cans [emoji1]

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll paint my zincs silver and replace all silvers I dig, with a silver zincoln.

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Garrett GTI 2500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll paint my zincs silver and replace all silvers I dig, with a silver zincoln.
[emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

I'll make my own coins with the reverse: vince was here [emoji12]

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My feeling has always been this-

When detectors are outlawed, only outlaws will have detectors..

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As quality targets become more and more scarce with every find, I have come up with a strategy that should give current and future detectorists a better shot at a quality find.
Keep fishing ethics and laws in mind as you read.
I think a "catch and release" sentiment would be a good idea. If you find something good, just take a few pictures with your find then put it back in the hole and cover it back up.
Coins would have to be of "legal age" before they can be harvested. Say any coin less than 65 years old would have to be returned to it's resting place until it matures.
Jewelry would have to be valued at a minimum of $100 to be kept and even still, most ethical detectorists would put it back in the hole and cover it back up so another hunter could enjoy it as well.
A limit of 5 "keepers" per day should be acceptable.
The future of our hobby depends on conserving our resources. As quality targets are depleted, getting our youth involved in the hobby becomes harder and harder. We must keep this hobby we love alive.

As we don't care for government and laws to dictate what we do and how we do it, it is imperative that we police ourselves and hunt ethically and keep the future generations of dirt fishermen interested and involved.
"Don't be a glutton, put back that button"

Thanks for reading.

As I hope yall figured out, this is just a joke. HH

Its a bad joke. :dontknow:

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
My feeling has always been this-

When detectors are outlawed, only outlaws will have detectors..

But the real outlaws will use Outlaws :thumbsup:

1534-outlaw_5f.jpg

OP
OP
S

SouthTexasHunter

Mar 8, 2015
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about if we just follow logger's philosophy and any time we harvest a mature coin from the soil, we plant 3 juvenile coins in the same area? Nobody is going to preserve this hobby if we don't.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread