Help! First Tine Beach Hunting & Not A Sucess

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm using the AT Pro, I've read the instructions for grounding, etc. but I can't seem to get more than mixed signals. Frantic switches from 80s and 90s to 0s. Any advice for what mode to use? I've been in Pro Coin.

Tomorrow (2/16), is my last day. Help! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455553527.009653.jpg

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As some here have mentioned before, the ATPro is somewhat sketchy on beach hunts. I have hunted beaches in Florida with mine, and grounding after EVERY dig is what I have found best do for best results. Also try to stay in one environment (dry sand, wet sand, or water) without switching back and forth.

That said, when hunting a beach, I have found that looking around before turning the machine on helps, in that you can locate where people laid out blankets, sat down, returned, etc. where people are is where the lost stuff is. Sounds redundant, but it saved time for me. Find the high tide mark, and start there.

Mine jumps around too, but those things have helped me get the most out of the machine. I hunt pro/coin as well on the beach. Ground/ground/ground and ground balance again. HTH.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you in the water or up on the dry? If in the water and you can't quiet it then it may just not be good conditions for it. Some salt beaches seem to not work.

I'd keep it in pro zero and then start lowering the sensitivity you may have to put it to just a couple bars before it quiets. You'll get a hit still if you're right over something pretty shallow. Also touching the bottom at all will cause it to false.

I've had the GB all the way down to 12 on the super salty beaches in the Turks and Caicos. I then gave up and only used it in the dry and switched to a PI machine for the water.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted with the AT PRO for 2 years. In fresh water, you will find coins, gold and silver rings and many other keepers without much of a falsing problem. You will probably have to learn to use it as a Beep and Dig Machine if you venture into the water deeper than waist deep. That depth tends to place your meter underwater.
Now if you are going into salt water, you are changing the game altogether. Salt acts as a conductor when it is wet.
It will create "Falsing" on most machines. Including the AT PRO.
Whether it is wet sand or actually in the water, there are going to be problems.
I use my Excalibur, Wet Suit, and Beach Brute Sand Scoop whenever I am hunting in salt water. The Excalibur is not affected by falsing that can occur in salt water.
Good luck and happy hunting.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread