Dug D

Greenie
Mar 19, 2007
Rochester NY
Detector(s) used
ML 705, ML X-50, Silver U-max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone, I have been a member for quite a while, but never have time (except I found a little now)
I am wondering if anyone has had lower disc fusion surgery and can still detect ok?

I have been suffering with back problems for quite a while, but still manage to function/work full time and manage to get done what I "have" to do. (I am only 51, and its to early to continue giving up everything I like to do)

But I am now unable to sit and any activity brings on increasing level of pain till its just to much to take. So after 2 MRIs and a year and a half of doctors/medication/injections/PT and trying to be careful all the time it appears surgery is inevitable and they are talking about coming in from my side removing what is left of my lowest disc and replacing it with bone.

Does this sound familiar to anyone and did it work well enough that detecting/normal activities are possible?

Any input would be appreciated, I have a pretty high stress level about the surgery, I had a small disc fragment removed 15 years ago, but that was a 1 inch incision and was back to work in two weeks. This one I am sure is not easy.
Thanks
Dug D

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Dug D!! I'm a PM&R Doc and have taken care of numerous post-operative back surgery patients over the years!! Depends on the level of your surgery and involvement, but usually first two weeks will be the most uncomfortable!! Just pay attention and donot get in a hurry!! Let everything heal up!! Sounds as if you have been tolerating a lot of discomfort and post-surgery you should notice a dramatic difference!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guy.... Now personally I have not had the surgery your mentioning. But... with that said I've watched and helped my wife have numerous fusions. Two were in her neck and two in her back. They were fused with bone and screwed into place. After she healed she naturally had "less" flexibility but it did not limit her from doing what she had always done. She had pretty severe curvature of the spine and many nerves were being pinched along with disc damage.

Fast forward a few years now.... She's now in her 3rd week of recovery from full back fusion. Two steel rods running from neck down to her butt. 8hr. operation and months of rehab and healing now. She's now home here with "Dr. Brad" now. :laughing7:

So.... a single fusion or a few fusions will NOT restrict you from MDing or other tasks. You'll have a learning curve for the body, muscles and healing to go through. If you'd ever like to talk to her just PM me and we'll set it up.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Wife had 2 pins and 4 screws put in her lower back and can bend and stoop as well as she could before. Can still almost get palms flat on floor and she is a Senior, Senior Citizen.:laughing7:
I have never had back surgery but have spent many hours in a Chiropractors office. I don't do that anymore since I bought an Inversion Board. I get on it every night for 10-15 minutes and no need for a Chiropractor.
Now, I'm no Doctor and I didn't spend the night in a Motel but if I were you I would try an alternative to Surgery.
Good Luck in your decision.:occasion14:
Marv

OP
OP
Dug D

Dug D

Greenie
Mar 19, 2007
Rochester NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the input, guys. Inversion Board ? What kind of symptoms did it help with? I fall into a grey area because I have had long term pain, but not direct nerve pressure. As soon as I hit the post button I am searching inversion board. dang it why is my profile photo not showing up? never mind it was the avatar photo I needed to up load.

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the input, guys. Inversion Board ? What kind of symptoms did it help with? I fall into a grey area because I have had long term pain, but not direct nerve pressure. As soon as I hit the post button I am searching inversion board. dang it why is my profile photo not showing up? never mind it was the avatar photo I needed to up load.

D.D.... I know you found the inversion board(s) by now. If you've had long-term pain what do you believe is causing your pain if not for semi-pinched nerves? This what the inversion board relives. It stretches out the back allowing the discs some relief and the nerves there pressing against.

If your handy you can make one very easily also.

OP
OP
Dug D

Dug D

Greenie
Mar 19, 2007
Rochester NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Limitool, no one seems sure on the source of the pain, what is clear in the MRIs is the compressed discs, my previous surgeon had told me that all the tendons and ligaments that hold the vertebra together are extremely sensitive to pressure, but pressure on a nerve has specific symptoms "sciatica" which I had, if you have this direct nerve pressure they know what to fix. So many times people have bulging discs that cause pain but don't reach a nerve so pain is in the back. If the disc hits a nerve the pain follows the nerve.
I was told by a doctor when the current situation began and I had an MRI with a really good machine (my friend sells hospital equipment and confirmed i got lucky and used the best in the area) that the MRI showed that two discs had a vertical split in them and over time nerves grow into the discs (where there were no nerves before) as they try to heal which becomes the source of the pain as the discs flex. So I don't know where my pain is coming from other than guessing, some nerve pressure, pressure on tissues, or re-tearing the vertical split in the discs (if that is really a thing)
I asked the doctor that I thought was the smartest one about stretching tables and he passed them off as momentary relief and the disc re-compresses as soon as you stand up, so I didn't put much stock in it.
Yes as soon as I saw the inversion board I remembered them, I was surprised they were only 100 bucks on amazon.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks limitool, you answered the question.
Marvin
PS I got mine at Sports Academy for I think around $110.00. A great investment.:icon_thumleft:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
I had bone fusion surgery in 1990 and it was successful. Highly recommend it.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Limitool, no one seems sure on the source of the pain, what is clear in the MRIs is the compressed discs, my previous surgeon had told me that all the tendons and ligaments that hold the vertebra together are extremely sensitive to pressure, but pressure on a nerve has specific symptoms "sciatica" which I had, if you have this direct nerve pressure they know what to fix. So many times people have bulging discs that cause pain but don't reach a nerve so pain is in the back. If the disc hits a nerve the pain follows the nerve.
I was told by a doctor when the current situation began and I had an MRI with a really good machine (my friend sells hospital equipment and confirmed i got lucky and used the best in the area) that the MRI showed that two discs had a vertical split in them and over time nerves grow into the discs (where there were no nerves before) as they try to heal which becomes the source of the pain as the discs flex. So I don't know where my pain is coming from other than guessing, some nerve pressure, pressure on tissues, or re-tearing the vertical split in the discs (if that is really a thing)
I asked the doctor that I thought was the smartest one about stretching tables and he passed them off as momentary relief and the disc re-compresses as soon as you stand up, so I didn't put much stock in it.
Yes as soon as I saw the inversion board I remembered them, I was surprised they were only 100 bucks on amazon.

As with ALL products there are inversion boards and there are inversion boards. Same with cars, TV's, homes and all products. Again... there not hard to make if you have the tools and are handy.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never had back surgery or too much pain but I did get an inversion board a couple years ago. I like that it decompresses the back and stretches you back out. Feels good if used over the long haul. Good Luck on your situation.

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As someone who has had a discectomy I can relate to your situation. I lived with back pain and issues for 25 years and finally opted for the least invasive procedure that in essence removes that portion of the disc that has herniated out of the disc space. The neurosurgeon who did the procedure was an older doc from Canada. Over the years he told me he had become more and more conversative in his procedures and indicated that in Europe the use of more aggressive types of procedures such as rods etc was in a downtrend. Not to cloud your issue but you are not in a life or death situation ( I hope not) so procede thoughtfully and maybe seek a consult from a center that specializes in minimally invasive surgery and therapy.( There are a lot around) Then make your decision and go forward with confidence. But be conservative since surgeries are not reversible . And remember everyone over 30 has some degree of spinal degeneration and if you took MRI's on 100 people over age 50 you'd find a whole lot of degenerated and herniated discs..probably 100% so you are not alone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dug D

Dug D

Greenie
Mar 19, 2007
Rochester NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone, I have some more to think about and I really appreciate the input, the wife is sick of hearing about it. Your additional knowledge coming from different situations is nice, its hard to find real world experience and that 8 minutes with the doctor goes by way to quick.

I don't spend money lightly and have all the tools and skills to build an inversion table/board, that's the root of my frustration. I used to do all my own home improvements, kitchens, roofs by myself, any auto repair necessary, now loading the dishwasher or doing laundry coughing or sneezing can take me out of commission for a few hours. I am lucky to have a desk job and I am looking into a kneeling chair, (been using a kneeling pad for months) but they don't have them on display to try out, still working on that.

Thanks again
Dug D

OP
OP
Dug D

Dug D

Greenie
Mar 19, 2007
Rochester NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had bone fusion surgery in 1990 and it was successful. Highly recommend it.

Hello Lastleg, if you don't mind me asking how old were you and how long of recovery time ?
thanks
Dug D

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug D, Spend to 110 bucks and don't try to build one. Not worth the effort and you will be amazed how easy the store bought one will adjust for the persons height. After all, what is a hundred bucks to a Detectorist?:dontknow: Build you own and you will have a non adjustable contraption that you will hate.
Marvin

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dug D, Spend to 110 bucks and don't try to build one. Not worth the effort and you will be amazed how easy the store bought one will adjust for the persons height. After all, what is a hundred bucks to a Detectorist?:dontknow: Build you own and you will have a non adjustable contraption that you will hate.
Marvin

Yea your probably right. While easy to build it's probably easier to just spend $110.00 or so... I guess I'd just like the challenge for something to do. But I'm not hurting like D.D. either.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea your probably right. While easy to build it's probably easier to just spend $110.00 or so... I guess I'd just like the challenge for something to do. But I'm not hurting like D.D. either.
Hey Guy, I was thinking of what one would look like if I built it--------------------Probably look like a scaffold to hang Saddam Hussein.:occasion14:
Marvin

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Guy, I was thinking of what one would look like if I built it--------------------Probably look like a scaffold to hang Saddam Hussein.:occasion14:
Marvin

Hey you horseshoe thief.... :laughing7: I totally get your point. I'm just enough of an engineer / woodworker / DIY'er that I could build an adjustable board as good as any on the net. But it would probably cost as much or close to a manufactured one.

If Hussein wasn't gone I'd build a special "thing" for him.....!!!!!:occasion14:

DD.... I wish ya the best on your back problem. Today is the 4wk. anniversary of her total back fusion. We went to Kroger to get a "few things" today. $502.00 dollars later were leaving..!!!!! She's DOWN now again and needs to recoup.

Best wishes buddy.... Brad

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Folks, I didn't steal that Horseshoe----------It was in a public road.:notworthy:
Marvin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread