Treasure Hunting in Mexico : Three leather bags of Gold Coins, Still Un-recovered.

happythunter

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I met a nice Mexican family up here in Wash. state about ten years ago . After they got to know and trust me they told me about two treasure stories that their family knew about. their grandfather had a farm in the hills and mountains north of Guerrero. He was growing peanuts and anything else that would grow in that soil. His farm property is quite large approx. 15 miles at its longest point and approx. 2 to 3 miles wide. Grandpa is still alive. He is very superstitious and religious his property is in a Mineral rich section of Mexico. He even has the crumbled remains of an ancient way-station for the Spanish miners that used to travel thru this area. he also said that there are several odd stone semi-circles scattered throughout the area. He kept finding old coins when ever he dug in and around them. So he told his family not to dig around them because it didn't belong to them and was probably cursed. and he said that if they tried to buy things with these coins then the Authorities would question their sudden wealth and other bad people might harm them.. He said banks can't be trusted either. So its better just to leave it alone. So when one of his granddaughters took a never before used, short cut across their land. She found something... But she wasn't sure what she should do about . She was coming around a rock corner and saw what she called a "golden river" on the ground what she saw was spilled Gold coins that had come from one of three ancient leather bags that were hidden under a rock ledge. the Bag had split open after all those century's . She remembered what grandpa had said about Treasure being Cursed so she walked around it and didn't touch anything. She said the leather bags were approx. 2ft diameter and about 3 ft. high and full of coins. She's living here in the states now but said that she could still easily find those bags if she ever went south again. She told grandpa and the eldest son whos living up here and they are still untouched to this day. They simply don't know what to do with it . the second story is from one of the familys friends who used to live further south, down in Guatelama they had a pond on their property that they would swim in after a long hot days work. one day he decided to see how deep the pond was he was going to see if he could touch bottom. but he felt something hard , he felt a large stack metal bars, and grabbed one . he called it "White Gold" he used it to pay the coyotes to help him cross the border to usa. but didn't tell the family so that's still there too. I'm guessing that he might have found an Aztec treasure, since they like to divert streams and create pond to hide things. The white gold is probably poorly smelted gold with a lot of silver in it. I read once where an American treasure hunter down in Mexico used to cash-in his finds. by taking it only to Private mexican banks and take out 70% loan on its value and just wire the money to his usa bank. and let the mexico bank keep the remaining 30% pretty clever huh ?

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, but I have a hard time believing that the granddaughter wouldn't return to pick up the gold when she surely has some idea of its value. Nor would individual leave gold behind simply because they were concerned about how to cash it in. Both seem like tall tales to me. But since you know these people, are you intending to go find their treasures?

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
She said the leather bags were approx. 2ft diameter and about 3 ft. high and full of coins. She's living here in the states now but said that she could still easily find those bags if she ever went south again.

Meh, I'll get around to being a Millionaire one of these days. Yawn...........

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Let me save you some time: ALL the Mexican treasure lore sounds seeeoooo good. And sooo bullet proof, iron-clad, and first hand. But the culture down there is heavily steeped in treasure legends. And they're all telephone game gone awry. There's a most-certain treasure in every cave, every ruin, etc.. And sure, there'll be people who "saw the coins". Meaning that to find the rest with a metal detector should be child's play, right ?

But gauranteed: try to track down those people, to see the coins, talk to these witnesses, who saw the first cache found, and .... you guessed it. It wasn't actually them who saw/found it, but .... they got it on good authority from so & so. Thus you track down THAT person. And guess what ?

I chased multiple such sure-fire stories throughout the Sierra Madres in Durango. Had a great time. But came away with the hard lesson that all those stories are just that: stories.

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be happy to remove all those cursed coins and bars from their land, so their farm may be more prosperous :)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
happy t-hunter, a humorous side note: Let's just say that you suggested to those folks that the story was just a camp-fire ghost story legend. And you expressed doubt, and rendered alternate explanations of how such telephone games get going. I began, after awhile, when hearing such stories (especially if they involved "smoke coming from the ground" and other such nonsense), to tell the persons, as politely as I could, that it was "supersticion" (superstition).

But, humorously, when the Mexican locales heard that, they would become ALL THE MORE entrenched in their beliefs. So don't be surprised, if you go to caste doubt on their stories, if they believe all the more, and double back with extra assurances as to the validity of the story. That's how deeply entrenched in their culture this stuff is. The Phillipines is another location where you see this phenomenon.

OP
OP
H

happythunter

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Susan: I probably wont be go down south, my Spanish is poor, and with the Narcotics problems , I'd be a fish out of water. A moving target. I posted this story with the hope that someone on the forum would have some advice that I could relay to the family. So They could benefit from their discovery and dispose of it in a safe manner.

OP
OP
H

happythunter

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Tom: Yes I agree with you that the Mexican culture is steeped in treasure legends. But that's only because of the constant political upheaval, and the slavery imposed on the local native populations.. And the rich mineralization throughout that whole area. The nice thing about this story is Its only known thru one small family . Its not a so called "Legend" yet. Its just, One family- One find . and all the people involved are still alive. Auggie

OP
OP
H

happythunter

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your so darn helpful uncle Jeff...... LOL Auggie

OP
OP
H

happythunter

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Brian ...(Crappie's) Me too.... any day now

joee5

Dec 16, 2015
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber II
Whites XLT
Garrett PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did they, by any chance, hold the deed for that bridge over in Brooklyn?

OP
OP
H

happythunter

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Joee : I have a deed for the bridge over the Rio Grand :laughing7:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hello Tom: Yes I agree with you that the Mexican culture is steeped in treasure legends. But that's only because of the constant political upheaval, and the slavery imposed on the local native populations.. And the rich mineralization throughout that whole area. The nice thing about this story is Its only known thru one small family . Its not a so called "Legend" yet. Its just, One family- One find . and all the people involved are still alive. Auggie

Yes. And so too was every story we chased "first hand" , and "people still alive that saw it", blah blah blah. I gaurantee you, that when if you went down there, talked to people, and applied some skepticism, it would fall apart.

And I sense from your post that you have the notion that there was a lot of wealth down there ("rich mineralization", etc...) Actually, Mexico is a 3rd world country. And if it ever boiled down to prosperity, natural resources, etc... as being the barometer of where to find caches, then the USA would far outrank Mexico. Yes, even gold and silver tallies mined historically, etc....

And to the extent that, sure, there was/is resources, mining, etc... there, yet you have to understand that the wealth down there was VERY much like a caste system. And still very much is. So for example, if you have a small town of 1000 people, and 100+ families in that town, then only about 3 of those families have any serious money. The rest are working class that don't have caches (beyond meager bread & butter caches) to be burying. So as impressive as street after street of adobe homes from the 1700's may look, you have to realize that 99% of it was poverty. You'd have to find out where the 2 or 3 homes of the well-to-do were.

And another big downer to th'ing for caches in Mexico, is that trash abounds everywhere. Because they don't have curb-side trash service like we do. Hence they conveniently bury their trash in the back yards, burn pits, etc... Or dump it over the nearest cliff, or toss it next to ruins somewhere. So even the most remote ruins we found, were still piled high in all sorts of metal debris.

But the bottom line is, I highly doubt most any Mexican treasure lore/legend/story from the git-go. And am fully aware that .... as has happened with you, that when you go to scrutinize, they will become very adamant as to the certainty. Such is the faith of the faithful

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
happythunter, if you wish to test my theories, here's a simple test: Next time you meet any other immigrants from Mexico in your area (first generation arrivals), ask them: "have you ever heard of buried treasure stories from where you came from ?". And sit back and wait to be bathed in more-such-stories. That's why I'm telling you: They're a dime a dozen.

OP
OP
H

happythunter

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Tom: Thanks for your input, Even though it not what I'm wanting to hear.. I didn't realize that the trash problem would create metal detecting problems but it makes total sense. I was also reading Karl Von Muellers books and he complained that couldn't pull out his metal detector down in Mexico without a crowd of kids and eventually adults gathering around him. So he tried it at night but the beeping attracted "Looky Loos" also. So he waited until the local church services started. and used his headphones and was finally able to recover what he was looking for... Auggie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread