AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many of the old pulltabs that are the bane of most detectorist's world are now being considered "Historic Artifacts"!!!
speechless-smiley-040[1].gif

http://westerndigs.o...oric-artifacts/

OMG!!!
I've always thought that archaeologists go a little overboard and to the extreme now we have solid proof!!!
Christz_pillepalle%5B1%5D.gif

I'm guessing that using a metal detector will be a hard road from here on out!!
2mo5pow.gif

This statement says it all....
" Schroeder noted, because the ring-tab’s new status means it can be used to identify sites that may have historic value. "

So I'm guessing the historic value he will learn is all the places people used to go and get drunk!!!

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That story is almost a year old. Are you really worried about this?

OP
OP
AU Seeker

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No not really as most places I detect there're very little to no pulltabs, but it's the direction it's leading too that concerns me.

If a pulltab has a classification of being a historic artifact, what's next?

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No not really as most places I detect there're very little to no pulltabs, but it's the direction it's leading too that concerns me.

Probably the aluminum can they connect to.

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most areas in my neighborhood there is nothing to find but aluminum can slaw - ring tabs - square tabs & beaver tails. Heck we have a lot of history here!

Texas ED
S/E Texas Gulf Coast

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

What a sad, short sighted point of view... "The direction its leading" is concerning? Dont read too much into this. This article was written by archaeologists for archaeologists. It is simply pointing out another resource that is useful when conducting field work to date a site. Do you seriously not see any value in the work archaeologist perform?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
...Are you really worried about this?

Well, I think he was putting the link out there in jest. Still though, this is a classic case example of "the real world" versus the technical jargon laws/rules. If there is any public spot where:

A) you can detect no problem, but that

B) some sort of cultural heritage verbage exists,

Then .... seriously now .... do you *really* think anyone cares that you dug up and removed a 1960's pulltab ? [I mean, besides one lone archie in an ivory castle somewhere ?] OF COURSE NOT. Hence I take very little stock into what some purist archies say.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread