Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Normal digging tools Plus. Uses .410 shotgun shells.
Marvin
taurus-1-tau_2_441031tc.jpg

Last edited:

red fox bob

Feb 23, 2016
Apollo,Pa
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Garrett Pro Pointer,Custom Made Sand Scoop,Garrett AT Pinpointer, Whites MX Sport , Eqauinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have Da Judge myself it is the best friend you can have when your out MD

tennessee

Feb 8, 2013
East tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use a 4 inch spade. Sharpshooter. Sometimes I use it for stabilization on steep hills. I don't worry about snakes.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Aka, Da Judge...also loads a combo of 45 ACP's...not legal in some states

I don't know whether or not it uses 45 ACP's, but I know it takes 45 longs. Holds 5 rounds, so a mixture of 410's and long colts covers snakes and furry things which might wish to eat you.

It provides for "Judgement Day"!

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It always amazes me when people over overly concerned about snakes. In my 40 years of detecting, I have only come across a couple non poisonous snakes while detecting. Yes, I'm in the woods, in rattlesnake country. So what are you all going to do. Shoot a little foot long gartersnake. I'm not anti gun. I have my share of guns , but never carried one while detecting. In my spare time, I do look for rattlesnakes and take photos of them. You should be a lot more concerned about ticks. You don't need to carry water as there are plenty of spring seeps to drink from.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
It always amazes me when people over overly concerned about snakes.

I don't know about your neck of the woods, down here we MUST watch for them. I was bitten by a copperhead at age 11 or 12. Was pretty lucky to have on brand spanking new jeans which hadn't been washed yet. Hit me on the knee when I was squatting down fixing our chicken wire. Fangs hung up on jeans, and one penetrated my skin just a little bit. Had a big yellow crusty stain there.

There was one local lady who spent 9 days in the hospital after a copperhead bite.

And we have rattlers too.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terrible advice...no matter the location...or capability/experience of the hiker.

Maybe in your part of the world, but here the water is pure when it comes out of spring seeps. You can travel on back woods roads and see pipes people placed in seeps to carry water home. All my hiking friends drink from seeps and never got sick. We all know about beaver fever so we don't normally drink from streams. Could be deer poop in them too.

OP
OP
captbo

captbo

Jan 1, 2015
Calvert Co Md / Atlantic NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800.Garrett AT Pro,Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Garrett Ace 250
Deteknix X pointer
Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all good info, Let me explain what I was looking for and did not lay it out properly I guess its digging tools, U have the enviro stuff pretty well at hand, This location is some 4 miles off the hwy, I am guessing a usfull pick will help

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say use your head and stick to basics...when I go prospecting here in Colorado....

Water and food for the day
Hand digger
Small shovel or pick that straps to pack
Gloves
Knee pads if on rocky terrain
extra socks in case they get wet
layered clothing to peel off/on as weather changes
knife
gun
walking stick

(obviously the detector and sluice and gold pans etc etc)

Obviously a good pack or duffle to carry it all...plenty of straps and such to clip stuff onto.

I basically want a nice sturdy pack to carry it all....then when I get there I can just leave it on the ground and pick and choose what I want to hit the general area...going back to the pack as needed.

It's only 4 miles and if you are not gong for a all-night trip....should be easy enough.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have numerous springs here in Colorado (my part of the world)....half the small towns have "Springs" in their name. I drink handfuls here and there all the time.

Springs dry up...springs get arsenic flows after earthquakes...springs can often taste like mineralized crap. A semi-famous spring in Manitou Springs was shut down for weeks due to safety concerns.

It is not rocket science...take your own water in a small canteen...or at the very least a capable filter setup.

To place yourself in a situation where you have to RELY on spring water as a primary source is foolish...IMO. To each their own....

willyobiker

Mar 11, 2016
west virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter pioneer BH pinpointer "root assassin" shove
recently added
Garrett ace 250, garrett propointer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
what I carry

I have a place near Milam West Virginia !. what do folks carry tool wise when detecting in these mountains,

1, metal detected, 2 pinpointer, root cutting shovel( I use a "root assassin" which works really well!)water, small first aid kit, food, any meds you need, back pack, small plastic garden shovel, and I travel from parking area to sites on a ATV, as I am handicapped and can't walk any distance. I also carry a compact 9 mm loaded with glazzer shells(think 9mm shotgun shell), never shot any snakes with it though....snakes retreat as a rule...anyway by the time you pull the gun the threat is probably over...oh...I also bring 20 or so survey flag markers to mark my finds before I dig any. Then I use the pinpointer to locate my finds in plugs. Hope this helps...Willyo.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you spot a rattlesnake, there's no need for a gun. Just walk away from it. The one's that get you are the ones you don't see until it's too late to react and a gun won't help you with those boys!

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."

FDR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread