Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Know your limits.. to me means scar-tissue. Like most boys/men that is where we find the edges. But also make the basest campfire stories. Some are old memories and the characters may not be correct for a particular story, but they get better each time told.. :)

You are so right guy.... If a bunch of us got together, campfire going, plenty of food, tents all set up.... WE'D HAVE A BLAST WOULDN'T WE??????

OP
OP
B

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are so right guy.... If a bunch of us got together, campfire going, plenty of food, tents all set up.... WE'D HAVE A BLAST WOULDN'T WE??????

I hear that. If you know the person in the story you already know where it's going. Near misses are nothing compared to some real old timers. Now we are the old timers ? How did that happen. Every sport or anything interesting has great story material. Retelling the same story with the place or time or person is even funnier. Usally in our group Coors Light has a lot to do with it. And in my case not remembering makes it fun. True stories of accidents or dumb stuff should be told to younger folks. Pick a topic and there is a lesson in there. Either about the event or YOU. I love women but they just don't get it. And that's a fact Jack. :)

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I met a gentleman up deer hunting this year who was 90 years young, said he'd been hunting up there for over 70 years. I was amazed and in total awe seeing him out hiking those hills. BB, I too had been reaching the same conclusions as you but after talking with him he put it into perspective for me. He told me -"You don't stop doing what it is you love, you simply learn to do it differently".

tennessee

Feb 8, 2013
East tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks B.B. I'll soon be 68. My all day outings with the guys earns me a day or two of rest. My knees, my back, makes me wonder lately just how much longer I'm going to be able to go. When it comes time for me to hang up my spurs, I'll have great memories and no regrets. Just like you. Thanks again for the advise and God Bless.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wishing you the best. Maybe just take it easy for awhile and go out when you're feeling your oats. I know it gets harder for me every time we go out digging for two days in a row even and I'm only 56. Anyway, the best to you.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi BuffaloBob! Could not have said better than VacantEyesBass, take care and come visit often, we need experienced guys like you, that is why this site is so great.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep it is hard getting old. I am also getting up there is age I am 60 now my arms hurt all the time. I have to dig when the ground is wet and easy to dig in. then when the ground and hard I have to switch to water detecting. Easy on the body and I still get to do the thing I love to do detect.

laradactyl

Jan 12, 2016
Kerrville, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At 66 I have learned to adjust my "keep on going" to my "hurts too much". I do not get as much done anymore but I have not accepted total defeat yet. I think that radiation and chemo two years ago accelerated my decline and it has taken me most of those two years to accept my new limitations. Now I just get out and do, then settle for whatever result or lack of it happens.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
BB,
As one door may be closing, another can be opened. How do you see that for yourself. With me, at 65 I realized it would take more than I was willing to give (or had) to drop my golf handicap below seven. So, on one day, I quit--and filled that gap with jogging. Now, at 75, I am fired up to compete in a 5K. Why? Because the race results are divided into 5 year segments, and this year, I will be the youngest in my category (75-80); and I'm looking to kicking some butt.
What new goal will you set for yourself?
All the best,
Don.....

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear that. If you know the person in the story you already know where it's going. Near misses are nothing compared to some real old timers. Now we are the old timers ? How did that happen. Every sport or anything interesting has great story material. Retelling the same story with the place or time or person is even funnier. Usally in our group Coors Light has a lot to do with it. And in my case not remembering makes it fun. True stories of accidents or dumb stuff should be told to younger folks. Pick a topic and there is a lesson in there. Either about the event or YOU. I love women but they just don't get it. And that's a fact Jack. :)
Hey Bob, Watch that stuff women don't get it. He He. My grand kids and grad nieces and nephews love hearing my stories about being a kid. No TV., an out house, Had to wear dresses to school, Party line on the phone. Listening to radio, Amos and Andy, Lone Ranger, Intersanctom. Oh those were the days. They cannot imagine it. Maybe no Guy stories, but fun ones.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You ain't down yet you just got a wake up call. Back off a little, take a break and re-think your approach. And remember that the situation you found yourself in? A flatlander would have probably died right there, unless one of us came along to save them. Slow down a little bit, pick and choose your adventures. I don't know about the picture thing, as there are very good reasons I say I don't remember certain things, but that oral tradition used to be a big thing in my family. So if you got grandkids, get them around the campfire and tell them stories about family and things they did, pass that history on. It will roll right off most of them, but one or two will pay attention maybe. (I was always the one who listened and paid attention) That might be the only legacy some of us leave. Take care hoss and take it easy for awhile.

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi BB, you got me thinkin also. Just turned 72 and starting to slow down. Broke my leg a couple years ago, and when the doc put in a rod, he didn't measure good and it's about 2 inches shorter than the good one. Makes it real hard to get up after a few hours detecting. We also do animal control for the town and large animal rescue for the county. It's getting harder to dodge the dogs that like to bite and the horses that try to run you over. But like a few of the folks said, it's a guy thing, we hate to say we can't do it. Guess the good Lord is trying to say slow down and enjoy yourself. Hope you find your special place and can enjoy yourself for many years to come.

John Winter

Aug 23, 2014
England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Bill. I can identify with a lot of what you say. I'm 75 next week and metal detecting is just a memory. I'm okay up top, but the body is giving up, so I write about the hobby. It keeps me busy and 'active', although not every body appreciates what I try to do.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hear that. If you know the person in the story you already know where it's going. Near misses are nothing compared to some real old timers. Now we are the old timers ? How did that happen. Every sport or anything interesting has great story material. Retelling the same story with the place or time or person is even funnier. Usually in our group Coors Light has a lot to do with it.!!!!! And in my case not remembering makes it fun. True stories of accidents or dumb stuff should be told to younger folks. Pick a topic and there is a lesson in there. Either about the event or YOU. I love women but they just don't get it. And that's a fact Jack. :)

Hell yea.... my beer of choice. We would NEVER run out of stories! And I think your right about the "women" comment but let's throw'em a bone with a number of 99%. (BUT I AIN'T MET ONE!!!!!!!)

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I met an old lady in a supermarket shopping. She said, " When I was 72 I thought I was old, but now I look back and realize I was actually young." "I'm 96 now." True story. Took place on Manhattan's upper west side.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I met a gentleman up deer hunting this year who was 90 years young, said he'd been hunting up there for over 70 years. I was amazed and in total awe seeing him out hiking those hills. BB, I too had been reaching the same conclusions as you but after talking with him he put it into perspective for me. He told me -"You don't stop doing what it is you love, you simply learn to do it differently".

hunting up there for 70 years?? I hope he had food and a tent with him

OP
OP
B

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hell yea.... my beer of choice. We would NEVER run out of stories! And I think your right about the "women" comment but let's throw'em a bone with a number of 99%. (BUT I AIN'T MET ONE!!!!!!!)

Women are here to keep us grounded. Thank God I have one for 48 years. They can be annoying because they tend to be right. Most of the time.. I wouldn't do that if I were you...what in the world made YOU believe you could do fill in the blanks..

Like the time while getting a traffic ticket, I exited our car to tell the cop he was a F-A. Well believe it our not I still got a ticket! Wife just looks at me...and why did I think it was OK to sass a cop? Well it's a guy thing. And worth the $135 fine and points. In my humble opinion.. :)

OP
OP
B

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You ain't down yet you just got a wake up call. Back off a little, take a break and re-think your approach. And remember that the situation you found yourself in? A flatlander would have probably died right there, unless one of us came along to save them. Slow down a little bit, pick and choose your adventures. I don't know about the picture thing, as there are very good reasons I say I don't remember certain things, but that oral tradition used to be a big thing in my family. So if you got grandkids, get them around the campfire and tell them stories about family and things they did, pass that history on. It will roll right off most of them, but one or two will pay attention maybe. (I was always the one who listened and paid attention) That might be the only legacy some of us leave. Take care hoss and take it easy for awhile.

Thanks I will do that. Heading down along the Arkansas river when the weather clears. Might be an opportunity for younger family to learn how to dig holes. :)

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Women are here to keep us grounded. Thank God I have one for 48 years. They can be annoying because they tend to be right. Most of the time.. I wouldn't do that if I were you...what in the world made YOU believe you could do fill in the blanks..

Like the time while getting a traffic ticket, I exited our car to tell the cop he was a F-A. Well believe it our not I still got a ticket! Wife just looks at me...and why did I think it was OK to sass a cop? Well it's a guy thing. And worth the $135 fine and points. In my humble opinion.. :)

Sometimes we just gotta do what we gotta do.... at the time!!!!!!!! Don't make us right maybe.... but it's what we GOTTA DO. :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread