FOUND NEED HELP.

Foxy Baker

Greenie
Mar 18, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I am a new member and I am here because I accidently found a map in the forest. I found on a tree in the absolute middle of nowhere while hiking, looking for any elk trail or sign of elk, to hunt. Not on any trail or off any roads, Miles deep into the forest, a forest. On a tree I found nailed to it with numerous small roofing nail a tin cut out nailed to the tree.

I looked at it and on it, it was marked the year 1970- Foxy Baker mines.

I carefully detached the tin piece to discover that it was an old Budweiser can piece of aluminum. I am trying to crack the map and do not know how?. Of course, it is a map( I am sure you are all laughing) and it is meant to be cracked. I am extremely curious as I was in the area and very near. I just cannot seem to crack it. I will not say what State I am in. This is how it reads:(I can provide a pic drawn on paper of course of the exact nature and how it looks)

Reads:(On 5x5 inch)

1970- Covered Post(Across top)
Foxy Baker Mines(Below this) ________
North 1500 FT South 1560 FT West 600 FT(Next line) | |
East 600 Ft(Next line) | |
BELOW ALL OF THIS IS A SQUARE drawn Looking like this: | _______| Now right above this is a directional arrow and an N for North.

Now in this square are two lines. Horizontal and vertical. Imagine the bottom top it has #1 scratched into it. Above it would be West, that square has#2 and the word Foxy Baker in it.

Below that would be south in the next square, it has a #3 in it and below that would be East, it has a #4 Scratched in it. Now in the middle of this is an X.

Now Alone the TOP of this little diagram box where numbers 2 and 3 are says 1500' above both boxes. But along the side where bow 1 and 2 are says 600 FT.

If I need to provide a pic I will, just request.

I feel like I am on to something. Does anyone on here know how to decipher something like this?. I would really like to find this Mine, If I can. I have the original map on aluminum, too.

Thank you sincerely,

Foxy Baker.

Sep 21, 2013
Excelsior, mn
Detector(s) used
2 fisher 1280x
garrett ace 250
finally bought me a garrett at pro...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
are there any range or township numbers on there? as in plat book or bearing tree...monument tree....look on the ground in a 25 foot area or so, you may find a marker put there by a surveyor... good luck...send us a pic...will help a lot...

Gary

OP
OP
F

Foxy Baker

Greenie
Mar 18, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much. I am about 20 miles from the nearest town, where I found this. I will make a very accurate copy of it and post the pic, too. About the marker you mentioned, It said covered post..Maybe that is a clue?. I will post one soon, jumping into bed.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just curious. Since you took it off the tree and it was in the middle of nowhere. If there is a chance where you found it was a major KEY to the puzzle. Can you find the tree again? If not, it is possible what you have is now worthless.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just curious. Since you took it off the tree and it was in the middle of nowhere. If there is a chance where you found it was a major KEY to the puzzle. Can you find the tree again? If not, it is possible what you have is now worthless.

Good point.... but hopefully a GPS was utilized since being so deep in the woods and a reading was taken at the tree.... :occasion14:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There most likely is a mine in the area and this is the persons claim marker. I suggest that you go and put the tin back where you found it and do not think of trying to do any mining. If this was found on Forest Service property there may be a record of a claim in the area.

OP
OP
F

Foxy Baker

Greenie
Mar 18, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello ago gentlemen, ladies.

I have four pictures to post. I do know exactly how to get back and gps was used, yes. Some additional information. I do not think it has been used in some time, since it was dated 1970, this of course does not make this true. Another thing I didn't mention was there was a second tin next to it, but it was gone. I knew it was there at one time because the roofing nails where only left behind pounded into the tree. The tree is a marker I presume. Lets get some photos for you guys now. I am going to post this now and then do my attaching, if I have problems, please help. Never been a member of a forum and do not know all the short cuts!.

OP
OP
F

Foxy Baker

Greenie
Mar 18, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PICS

IMG_20160319_081530.jpg IMG_20160319_082439.jpg IMG_20160319_082339.jpg

Ok guys, the written out portion is exactly how it looks on the map. I am just interested in seeking it out for an adventure?. Perhaps more if something should come of it and I Lawfully, Legitimately investigate this if I find it. Hope it helps and hope you guys can help me in finding it.:key:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
You left out a word; the word in front of "cover post". Looks like "Evacts", but can't make it out in the photos.

It was a claims marker. The claim is posted on the Southwest corner on the post. The numbers are stating the lengths of the different sides of the claim.

A Section of land is 640 acres, or 1 sq. mile
320 acres is a 1/2 Section
160 acres is a 1/4 Section, or 1/2 sq. mile
80 acres is 1/8 Section. The map you have shows a 1/8 Section of land, or 80 acres.

1,500' x 600' = 900,000 sq'
There are 43,560 sq' per acre
900,00 divided by 43,560 = 20.66 acres, which is a standard claim size. The map shows which 1/4 of a section of land.

The next question could be to ask what state you're in, as a search for Foxy Baker doesn't pull up any results from the 1970's. There was a Foxy Baker mining company back in the early 1900's, but that was for a coal mine.

So that leaves the next question as, what type of area is this? Could it be placer? Hard rock? Coal? Could it possibly be a remnant from someone just out prospecting for a company but nothing was found there?

OP
OP
F

Foxy Baker

Greenie
Mar 18, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KCM,

Thank you so much for all the information. I am in Washington state. Maybe Pacer, ROCKER BOX type mining?. There are literally five different giant streams that run heavy and fast and they flood big time in the winter. This is up in the Pinchot Gifford forest, Literally in the middle of nowhere. I only found it by mistake. The words you mention that are missing I was wondering, too. I couldn't make it out, but there were a few more letters and the "Cover post" Is actually Covered Post, but most likely the same?.

The Streams are Really heavy, have trout in them, too. They flood heavy each year. So could it be placer, Sluice?, Rocker boxing?. There is a lot of gravel looking rock in the streams, All over the place, water falls and you name it. I found this on a tree literally 20 feet from one of the streams. It does have the numbers,1,2,3,and 4 in the square. Maybe I was at number one?. Again, thank you so much for helping me. I am just a hunter who stumbled on this, Also, the nearest town is Yacolt, Washington.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I would assume that Washington state has mine and mining claims records available online. Have no way of knowing how far back they go, but 1970's isn't that far back. Shouldn't be too difficult to check out that mining company as well as the mining location for past claims.

OP
OP
F

Foxy Baker

Greenie
Mar 18, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KCM,

How would I go about this?. I know nothing of mines or claims and as I mentioned , I literally stumbled upon it. Is there an agency or something that one could go to to seek out that particular mine?. Thank you in advance, anyone.

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
KCM,

How would I go about this?. I know nothing of mines or claims and as I mentioned , I literally stumbled upon it. Is there an agency or something that one could go to to seek out that particular mine?. Thank you in advance, anyone.

This site allows you to research the area and is pretty straight forward once you get the hang of it. http://www.mylandmatters.org/

OP
OP
F

Foxy Baker

Greenie
Mar 18, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alex Burke,

Thank you very much and thank you to all the help all those have contributed. I do appreciate your skills and expertise!.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry, just got back online after 3 days!! Was actually in the middle of replying when I lost signal *lol*

...Live too far out for landline, so have just recently gotten cellular internet - with the nearest tower 20+ miles away!!

Did a quick search for "Pinchot Gifford forest" and found that this was Mt. Saint Helens, and that the enviro-fools have gotten many restrictions enacted in this area. However, I lost internet before finding out of panning was still allowed, or using a handheld shovel. Guess you're on your own there! :tongue3:

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could FOXY be FOXX? The Y looks backwards, almost like a poorly made X.
Just sayin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread