What to do with it.....?

Jamie Garrison

Mar 18, 2016
Middleburg, Florida
Detector(s) used
Good Ol'Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know this has been asked a lot on here but its is 2016 and there are a lot was to keep, store, and sometimes sell what people find while detecting.. If you could just take a few minutes and share what you do when you get home from a day of collecting...I have some ideas on what I want to do...

I am a data kind of guy so I believe when I get back out there detecting I am going to start cataloging my finds and selling on ebay or something..

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a spread sheet my wife help me put together so I catalog my pennies dimes nickels and quarters and my other finds I put the date and where I found them and list my silver ect also I have a section for all other finds. I have shadow boxes I keep my silver coins in the cardboard holders and write dates and place on it and put it in my shadow
box I also have shadow boxes for other stuff, I like to keep what I find I also have a jeweley shadow box. I really like the spread sheet. Helps me remember good hunting locations. Google earth is pretty awesome for looking for spots to hunt.Have lots of fun and If selling your finds is what you like that's great also its about having fun . Also welcome

OP
OP
Jamie Garrison

Jamie Garrison

Mar 18, 2016
Middleburg, Florida
Detector(s) used
Good Ol'Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will probably keep my coins but the other stuff I get my rush on finding the things and recording it...if there happens to be someone willing to buy something i found i think i might just get a rush from that also

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually separate my coins, jewelry etc. from the junk which I put into a junk metal container. Then I check the dates on my coins.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I place all my good coin finds in 2x2 cardboard flips and make a note of the type of coin, year, date of find and location. I do this for all IHC's, big coppers, silvers, pre-1940 wheaties and other interesting coins and tokens. Nice to have a record of what you found and where and when you found it.

DSC05450.JPG DSC05451.JPG

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Last edited:

joee5

Dec 16, 2015
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber II
Whites XLT
Garrett PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zincs go into coin machine pile. Rest goes into a big bottle unil I have enough to tumble.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I separate my clad by denomination... And roll them as soon as I get 50 pennies, 40 nickels etc...
At the end of the year, they get deposited in the bank. Tumbling clad is for the over thinkers, not at all necessary. Sometimes I'll find a coin bent by a mower, the ball pean hammer makes it fit into the roll. I also roll my wheats, but save those. The silvers and tokens have a nice display, but documenting where and when I found them? Nah...who cares.
Trash gets thrown away, and my keeper relics are separated, but only as far a jewelry, toy cars, old spoons and the like. The rest goes into a box, that my wife has to constantly move out of her way.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since the early '70's I never keep count----------------------I keep silver but very few relics. Sell or give away what I don't want or need.
The reason I detect is for pleasure, bond with nature, exercise, relaxation, and the occasional nice find that gets the heart racing.
Marvin

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The silvers and tokens have a nice display, but documenting where and when I found them? Nah...who cares.

I care, because knowledge is power. It gives you a clear cut idea which places are paying off over and which places are a waste of time. It also let's you know when enough is enough and you've hunted a place to death and that's the end of it.

Perfect example is where I find my silver coins. I've hunted at least a dozen towns in my state, but only TWO produced silver coins for me. I've found 75% of my silver coins in my town and 25% in the nearby town of Foster. Of course, I spend more time in my town, but I've also spent hundred of hours in other towns with no silver coins ever found. Bottom line, most public places in those other towns are just about hunted out.

Keeping track of where you find big silver is valuable knowledge as well. It's a good assumption that a place hasn't been hunted much when you're pulling out silver quarters and half dollars! Always good to go back to those places every once in awhile to see if you missed anything. Just a couple of reason why I keep track of my finds...

OP
OP
Jamie Garrison

Jamie Garrison

Mar 18, 2016
Middleburg, Florida
Detector(s) used
Good Ol'Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keeping track of where you find big silver is valuable knowledge as well. It's a good assumption that a place hasn't been hunted much when you're pulling out silver quarters and half dollars! Always good to go back to those places every once in awhile to see if you missed anything

Note noted...Thanks

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for your perspective FreeBird... Good luck this season, always enjoy your posts and finds. Go Sox!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread