$300 to spend

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been tempted to pick up one of the Bounty Hunters lately. What I'm seeing here is that they're actually pretty darned good. I tried the Ace 250. Was so disappointed I just gave it away. With $300 you would be able to get a better BH than what inexpensive detectors from other manufacturers offer.

OP
OP
C

crossfire

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm mainly asking for a friend I picked up a good detector. Used would be find just wondering what the best set up would be for 300 or less

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It all depends upon the purpose intended.

Assuming it is mostly for coins and jewelry, I'd look at the following models/brands

New..

Teknetics Euro pro – light, really easy to swing and a fast processor. I think this machine is a fantastic value and it punches above its class.

Tesro Compadre – light, really easy to swing and a very fast processor. This is almost a must-have machine. It loves coins and jewelry.

Tesoro silver umax – I've not used one. The machine is very popular though.

Fisher F2 – I've not used one. It is likely to be one of the more popular entry level machines though and it seems as though its users love them.

Whites Treasure Master – I have not used one. It seems to be a fairly popular machine and its users seem to like the machine quite a lot.

Used..

Fisher F4 – light and easy to swing. It is a very capable machine

Tesoro Cibola – I haven't used one, but they're very popular machines. Richard (Backwoodsmetaldetectors) has one (new in box) at the price point you're looking at. Give him a call (or email) to see if he still has it.

I'm sure that I missed mentioning other capable machines, but these were the machines that I first thought of with your given criteria.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me being a Fisher lover would by F2 w/DD coil, $299.00, or F2 w/8" coil, $199.99 plus $100.00 pin pointer or F22 weatherproof,$229.00. Only problem is none of these have a manual ground balance. Fisher F44 is $349.00 and has manual GB.
Marvin
PS, Research all suggestions and make your decision based on what and where you will be detecting.

Last edited:

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Highly recommend you budget for a decent pinpointer, then figure out which machine to get.

bigtruck68

Jul 24, 2012
Pittsburgh,Pa
Detector(s) used
whites xlt * minelab sovereign xs * whites 6000 DI Pro * musketeer xs * xp deus* etrac*tesoro vaquero *
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My explorer 11 was $275.

i would really look at an older whites like an eagle spectrum or xlt or a tesoro deleon or vaquero, i have owned and still use these quite often,both are great machines and usually can be found in the under $300 range

joee5

Dec 16, 2015
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber II
Whites XLT
Garrett PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my XLT. She paid for herself in no time at all

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; You can buy a Whites DFX used for $350. If you get one you will never need another detector for as long as you live. It has everyv feature you can think of. It has excellent automatic Ground Balance that is easy to use. You can use it for land or beaches. You will find dimes at 9" easy and quarters at 12" - 14" no problem. It has a full VDI scale and Depth Reading that is very accurate. You also can't beat the Warranty either. Save up another $50 and get one. You won't be sorry ok. PEACE:RONB

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second the DFX. I have been using one for several years. Whatever detector your friend gets tell him to stick with it and learn the machine. Mine teaches me something new on a regular basis.

cache finder

Dec 23, 2015
SF Bay Area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Highly recommend you budget for a decent pinpointer, then figure out which machine to get.

I disagree, I think a pinpointer can be bought after you make some money from the detector. The detector finds it and has a pin point, just grab a scoop of dirt and run it past the detector to see if its in your hand or the hole.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I disagree, I think a pinpointer can be bought after you make some money from the detector. The detector finds it and has a pin point, just grab a scoop of dirt and run it past the detector to see if its in your hand or the hole.
I agree, that is what I've done for over 40 years. Actual need for a pin pointer is over rated IMO.:dontknow:
I use a large plastic spoon and run it over my coil.:icon_thumleft:
I know that some say it's quicker with a PP but I'm never in a big hurry plus I'm not convinced that is is that much quicker.
Pin Pointing is the secret to quick recovery of target IMO.
Marvin

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, Old School,, that's how we did it back in the day.

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisher F2 with a NEL sharpshooter coil

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I would buy a used machine and double the leverage of your $$$

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Certainly to each his own opinion, but I dig hinged plugs and that doesn't work for me. Pinpointers greatly reduce the time to recover for me and I suspect it is even more so for less experienced detectorists.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions