Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been harping on this for a long time. All I can say to the younger group who've discovered this wonderful hobby. And, desire to have it around long enough for them to have a "career" of finding treasures. We had BETTER start policing ourselves! If we don't, then all of us will suffer when some big shot decides it is in the best interests of the majority of the people, to stop the use of detectors on any public ground. If you don't think it can happen, you better take a good look around you and you'd better do it quickly.

I have enough private permissions to last me the rest of my life. Of course, I am closer to the finish line nowadays. So, It won't stop me from enjoying the hobby.

Not an original thought/idea but, it has become a VERY pressing concept recently. Those bad holes need to be repaired, not just complained about and left to be found by some official. The trash needs to be picked up, regardless of who finds it AND....biggest of all, we better start keeping an eye on other detectorists we see hunting. Then, SPEAK UP, or even report them if they're too big for their britches! It will be better for us to turn them in then prove Mz/Mr Bizzybody right.

TCAWarriors

Apr 7, 2012
East Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E trac, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may not be popular to say but I blame recent television shows which only show individuals whooping it up, doing cartwheels and acting a fool. They never show them filling their holes, disposing of their trash and sometimes they do not dig properly. I know this is the producers fault but maybe the sponsors could encourage at least a shot of them doing the less "exciting" part of detecting.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
As a water hunter I also take pictures of all my trash. For two reasons. One is to show everyone I just don't go out and dig gold. Second it shows people a lot of effort goes into a hunt and it isn't easy.

I won't hunt with a few people around here. One even throws pennies back. I don't care what kind of detectorist you are. WHY would you ever want to dig the same target twice? Lazy and stupid if you ask me.

You dig it up you take it out. I go as far as taking every piece of glass out of the swim areas I dig up or see on top also. That my friends has gotten me into a few places nobody else is allowed.

When you hand out business cards and let association park supervisors know you give back lost items, you take all the trash and glass out of the swim areas and you respect their rules and just love to help gets you pretty far sometimes.

I hunted a golf course at night in SLC Utah for over 3 years. I had a frisbee that I put the dirt into after I dug the plug. After retrieving the target I folded the frisbee put the dirt back in the hole and put the square plug back in. Almost impossible to tell I was there. I did less damage than a golf club and I was proud of it.

We all know, all it takes is ONE to cause a bad name for all. However the people that don't care probably never come to a site like this to read. They are out for one thing. That is themselves and their greedy aspirations.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When i first started Metal detecting i had no clue what i was doing. I had no mentor and the Dealer i got the detector from gave no advice. Yes..i filled my holes because common sense told me to but, pulling the trash from the hole was something i had to figure out on my own. It didn't take me long to figure it out, but its not an instinct we are born with. I suspect the people or person you are dealing with might be someone who watched one of these reality shows, bought a detector online and hit the road with visions of silver and gold dancing in their head. With the popularity of metal detectors growing, i think the manufacturers of metal detectors have a responsibility to include some basic rules that everyone should follow. This may be something that's already being done. If not, a small pamphlet would be very helpful to everyone. I do believe most people will follow the rules as long as they know the rules exist.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with you on taking the trash. If only you could see the mountain of junk metal that I'm saving for the scrap yard.

On another note, I've noticed some holes are from raccoons, skunks, and armadillos digging for grubs, not other detectorists, but they do look a lot alike.

When in doubt, blame nature.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have some good folks here where I live. They are finding folks digging their permissions. Needless to say folks are not sharing much around here. As for door knocking, I have never got so many no's in my life. I'm pulling the battery's for a bit. May even sell the detectors. Time for a new hobby where there isn't so many no fun signs.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm with you on taking the trash. If only you could see the mountain of junk metal that I'm saving for the scrap yard.

On another note, I've noticed some holes are from raccoons, skunks, and armadillos digging for grubs, not other detectorists, but they do look a lot alike.

When in doubt, blame nature.

Those said Animals Do dig up you plugs I watched a Squirrel dig up a Plug a few minutes after I dug it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions