May 8, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
tek.alpha2000
Nokta Fores Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you go about doing your research of an area or particular residence? For example I live out in the country a bit and there's a few run down and long abandoned plantation homes in the middle of nowhere. I've asked the nearest neighbor of one but they were just renters and had no idea who the owners were. How do you go about finding the owners of these properties to acquire permission?

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
County plot maps. You will need an address of someone local and have an idea of how the area is laid out. That will get you the information you need.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Can also check with your local Post Office as to an address. But the best method, by far, is a Plat map (plot map; Township map, etc)

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the town's tax assessor's database to obtain the name of the owner of a property. Then I Google their name, along with the town and state they live in to see if anything comes up. Might get a phone number, a Facebook account, LinkedIn bio or something else you can use to track them down.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google Maps, First street view, then Satellite. I only hunt parks, City, neighborhood, and Schools. I find some amazing parks digging into subdivisions by satellite. They're not "listed" as parks maintained by cities, so they're not green. Some of my best finds have come from non-green locations. There's even several CITY parks that aren't green on the map. It pays to zoom in a bit, and look for them...

I have used Google to bring up property dates, construction dates, values etc
I was wondering if you obtain permission before entering property in your area before detecting.
I think eureka77's post is about doing research that will lead to the current owner and possibly getting permission to hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread