Anyone have a Crayon? I need to draw a line.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NOTE: The following post is intended as humorous SATIRE, and is not meant to offend or insult any person living or dead - Thank You. 8-)

I totally enjoy helping others, and I share my opinions freely. However, I feel I have to let folks know I cannot give more of my advice on catching the elusive and deadly Sand Bass, found in the High Deserts of Arizona. I have answered more than a few emails from forum members and have tried to help. However, my advice and experience can only get you so far.

I am a certified Arizona Sand Bass handler and trolling expert. I was certified in April of 1977 in Stanton. In getting certified, you learn a lot of lessons I can't teach you. Lessons only experience can teach. I know, I know, when you buy a trolling set up and Sand Bass gloves you don't have to have training, in fact once you have your quota permit for Arizona Sand Bass, you are allowed to do whatever you want.

Sure, I can tell you what poles I use, lures, and what you can expect fighting one of these monsters into the truck bed -
HOWEVER, I can't tell anyone how much weight you will need on your line, how to clear your reel tangle in a sand storm, what to do in any emergency or how to avoid a deadly bite. I would NEVER recommend Sand Bass hunting without some sort of classes. I know people do that and it is your choice.

Please understand I have to protect myself. I don't want one of you saying,"But Terry told me it was safe to kiss the Sand Bass for a picture!" as they are laying in the ICU with half their face gone and a nasty venom running through their veins. Many of my friends, God rest their souls, got cocky or lazy and paid the ultimate price. If you are going to hunt Arizona Sand Bass in the Weaver mountains and don't want any lessons, so be it. However, I am asking that you do it without my help and advice.

I do feel for the few that have emailed me. I understand. However, you take classes to learn how to survive. Sand Bass trolling is unforgiving. I didn't write this to upset anyone and I am not upset at anyone that has emailed or pm'd me. I want everyone that trolls for Desert Bass to come back alive. One VERY IMPORTANT TIP - If you run out of beer and ice STOP FOR THE DAY! You have only one life, enjoy it!

Thanks for understanding.

My website is Home

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmm...why does this seem so familiar?? ...Like maybe from another post....from another member.... Hmm....who could it be??

ScubaDetector "I Really have to Draw the Line"?

When I started reading, I thought it was going to be something where you inadvertently misspelled Bass by leaving out the two center letters, "da".

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I caught one about 5 foot long! All I had was some old tangled up line I found in a tree and I whittled my own hook from cactus and wood! But, Mine wasn't a sand bass it was a rock bass. I know, I know, they aren't as hard to catch as the elusive sand bass, but here's the worst part and is what made it really challenging! I was out of beer and had been out for hours! Yep, caught that sucker with no beer! I Know no one would believe it, I took a picture, but a coyote ran off with my camera.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I caught one about 5 foot long! All I had was some old tangled up line I found in a tree and I whittled my own hook from cactus and wood! But, Mine wasn't a sand bass it was a rock bass. I know, I know, they aren't as hard to catch as the elusive sand bass, but here's the worst part and is what made it really challenging! I was out of beer and had been out for hours! Yep, caught that sucker with no beer! I Know no one would believe it, I took a picture, but a coyote ran off with my camera.

I just peed in my undies a little.. :laughing7:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just peed in my undies a little.. :laughing7:

Give me a few minutes, I'll have myself convinced it really happened!:laughing7:

I worked with guys that would talk back and forth about off the wall stuff. The first few days, I'm looking around and thought do they really believe this crap or are they trying to convince me? After I got to know all those guys it was just a way to pass time. But man some of the stuff they came up with,the details, and just seem so serious, made it an art! :laughing7: To this day if anyone heard my phone conversations with one of them they would think we were mental. Well? maybe we are?

Last edited:

roy2bears

Aug 15, 2010
cameron,ok.
Detector(s) used
whites tesoro
The little Sahara in ok. Has a rare sand shark that is hugh mingus in size.we troll with 4 wheelers with a winch . Happy trolling

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in the Allegheny mountains of VA we hunt the elusive Runastyhose. This is one bad dud and you don't want to go it alone. Always have a backup shooter with a extra cooler. Tags are hard to get and you are only allowed to shoot a double shovel or bigger. And always take a sky hook because they are tough to get on the hood. We used to have Bigfoot here but the Runastyhose ran him off. I almost forgot..... Must hunt with the " Silver Bullet " good luck

HH, Relic Nut

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of all the Fish in the desert seas
I'd rather be a Sand Bass
I could climb upon the Rocks and trees
And slide down on my-----------
.Hands and knees.
Marvin

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody see those documentarys called "TREMORS?"
Stay up on the rocks and don't make any noise.

(By the way, do you supply a hookah or dive tanks??)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread