Help! Rechargable Batteiies and Garrett coils.

Plug popper

Aug 23, 2010
Mo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GMH CXlll Garrett Master Hunter 10x Garrett master hunter 7x Garrett MH ADS 6 master hunter 5x
Help! Rechargable Batteies

Hi all thanks for taking time to read my post. What type of rechargeable batteries do you use if any? and charger as well ? This will be for AA type batteries. I have look and read they all say there the best, so I thought I would ask those of you who use them. So if you do use them and don't mind posting up would like to here from you. I cant see tossing my money away on crap if I don't have to. Thanks for taking the time.

Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the silver Energizer rechargeable batteries with the Energizer charger. I buy three sets a year, since they will eventually lose their punch after about 100 recharges. They last around 20 hours on a charge in the beginning, but will only last for 3 hours after constant recharging. Haven't found any other rechargeable batteries that work any better than that.

UnQle Rob

Oct 14, 2015
Parts Unknown, NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Infinium
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detecnik Pin Pointer
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Westinghouse 2000mah rechargeable batteries. As I also fly RC Planes, I have learned a thing or two about batteries (rechargeable). I will keep it simple. First, the lower the milli ampherage (mah) the shorter the run duration. Second, invest in a slow charger. Most rechargeable batteries come with a fast charger. Fast charging is not good and shortens the life of the battery. Slow charging is the key to making rechargables last longer. I utilize Tenergy TB6AC battery charger as it allows me to charge various types of batteries i.e. Lipo, Nimh and Nicd. Last, as I hunt most weekends, for approximately 8 hours total, I estimate that I get 3 to 4 months before I have to recharge.

OP
OP
Plug popper

Plug popper

Aug 23, 2010
Mo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GMH CXlll Garrett Master Hunter 10x Garrett master hunter 7x Garrett MH ADS 6 master hunter 5x
Thank you for your post. Yes sir that sounds about right to me. Dose your charger charge each one by itself or do you have to charge them all at once to make the charger work. Some of the chargers will not charge just one at a time because they are not isolated from each other, if I am reading it right. The energizers seem to get good reviews. Sorry about the title post I am going to ask some questions about extra coils for my Garrett's had to get away from the computer for a while a forgot to change it :BangHead: and I could not get it to change on the title post . I am glad that you took the time to post I am grateful for it. :occasion14:

OP
OP
Plug popper

Plug popper

Aug 23, 2010
Mo
Detector(s) used
Hi and thank you very much as well. Where do you get one of these chargers at ? and# 2 how many will it charge at a time. Thank you for your post I am always thankful for help on this forum.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to charge them in pairs or all four at once. Can't charge one battery at a time.

OP
OP
Plug popper

Plug popper

Aug 23, 2010
Mo
Detector(s) used
Thanks that's what I thought . I read somewhere about chargers that work in isolation meaning that each one is charged on it own circuit. I have no reason to charge one at a time but thought that each one being charged on its circuit might be a better charger. Thank you for posting as it very helpful in which way I should be going on this. thanks.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
When it comes to rechargeable batteries from, say, Wal-Mart, I prefer Rayovac over Energizer. However, I just ordered some high-capacity, low discharge Tenergy batteries from Amazon. MUCH high capacity than store-bought; 2300mAh Tenergy vs. 1350mAh Rayovac vs. 2300mAh Energizer. Hmm...never realized that my Energizers are nearly twice the mAh as the Rayovacs, yet the Rayovacs seem to last longer for me. Go figure!

Still waiting to use the first charge of the Tenergy batteries. I use them mostly in headlamps, but not needing much now that winter is gone. Also, as my headlamps require 3 batteries, I would always charge my third battery paired with another charged battery. Have been doing that for years. I use fairly quick chargers; 2-3 hours from drained to charged. Batteries seem to last me 3-5 years before I notice much less usage between charges - never really pay much attention - just always keep charged batteries on hand.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just ask for a 60 pack of double As from Santa every year. He always comes through using it as my stocking stuffer along with a 12 pack of 9v's for the pin pointer.

UnQle Rob

Oct 14, 2015
Parts Unknown, NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Infinium
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detecnik Pin Pointer
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your post. Yes sir that sounds about right to me. Dose your charger charge each one by itself or do you have to charge them all at once to make the charger work. Some of the chargers will not charge just one at a time because they are not isolated from each other, if I am reading it right. The energizers seem to get good reviews. Sorry about the title post I am going to ask some questions about extra coils for my Garrett's had to get away from the computer for a while a forgot to change it :BangHead: and I could not get it to change on the title post . I am glad that you took the time to post I am grateful for it. :occasion14:

As FreeBirdTim has said, rechargeables have to be charged in pairs. For your battery needs, I would recommend the Hobbico Accu-cycle Pro Series Charger Conditioner Analyzer (25.00 on ebay) as you probably will not be charging LiPos, and LiFos. I haven't read the review on the Energizer batteries, however, most rechargables are the same, it is the way you treat the batteries that make a difference. You will be happy with most rechargeable, just be sure its above 2000mah so that you can get a long run time between charges (depending on usage). As for coils, Treasurenet has more information than you need about coils.

PluGGLife

Dec 21, 2015
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab e-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use rechargeable Li ion A A batteries from eBay. They are 1.5v I am on the first 20 hours on my at pro and the battery meter is still full

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread