RANT: Bonehead SNIPERS ruin ot for the rest of us....

upstatejay

Oct 6, 2008
Charleston SC
Detector(s) used
ATPro
I suspect that most of us on this forum make an effort to be ethical dectorists.....but there are others on here who are not... and those people ruin access to land for the rest of us.

case and point:

I had been eying up a nice house in Otsego county NY. Tried knocking on the door with out luck. Talked to the neighbors to find out that the property owner was absentee. I did my research and made contact through the mail, and the land owner called me on the phone. Come to find she was leery to let a detectorist on the property as her neighbors had to chase others with detectors off the land in the past. Apparently they had just helped themselves to the property and many finds, without so much as a "please may I".

So because of some (read snipers/ trespassers!) you have closed access for others.

I have offered to buy the owner a cup of coffee and try to repair relations for the rest of us, but for the snipers out there and those who think "Oh there is no one around" or "who will know?"... you are MORONS.

End rant...

For the ethical hunters/detectorists out there,

Happy hunting.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a farm today I've had permission from one of the owners to look for world class rutile crystals. (titanium ore). Well, the regular guy wasn't there but his brother pulled up in a truck. I gave him a small gift and got permission and found a killer massive double terminated rutile crystal the size of a quarter. Found out his brother at 58 had a massive stroke not long ago. Always ask, and always reconfirm if you haven't been to a place in awhile.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe if you do something like some yard work or painting for her she let you detect the property?

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the RANT.
I have researched, requested, and received permission to detect in all 62 counties of New York State.
It takes a little effort but in the long run,,
it's so much better to have permission.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is known as "AWAMD" syndrome. The onset usually happens early in life before the subject purchases a metal detector. :skullflag:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread