Almost forgot this "treasure" given to me by a neighbor

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over the past year or so I have been mowing and most recently "cleared" a patch of common ground we (my neighbor and I) both maintain.
My neighbor,, (a Constable) passed my garage on his way home the other evening and I flagged him down to show him the progress on the bobber I have been working on for the past year or so.
When he saw the chop he about had a cow, going on and on how cool it was and how he wished he had the time ,,and space to do one himself.
Anyway,,, after we talked for a half hour or so he told me to "stop by the house today). So I did.
He opened up his 10 x 10 "shed" and pointed to a ragged tarp in the back,, and asked me "what do you think it is"?
Well it looked like a motorcycle I said,,, he grinned and cut the strings holding the tarp on.
Then uncovered a damn near PRISTINE 1976 XL350 Honda endure bike.
Not a scratch anywhere on the paint,,,not even a rub mark on the seat. Heck,, the toolkit was never even opened up.
Still has all the original gauges and lights too.
Best part is that it only has like 8000 miles on it. Last registered in 1984 (according to the plate and inspection sticker).
Then came the kicker,,,, he asked me if I "liked" it? Of course I said HELL YES ,,"I LOVE IT".
Then he told me to take it home as he couldn't get it running and didn't have the time or the finances to get it running.
So I took it home and gave it a good going over and found out why it wouldn't run.
THE BATTERY WAS JUNK,,, dry as a bone in the desert.
Ordered a new sealed battery yesterday and should have that by this coming Saturday.
Should be riding it by 5PM this Saturday,,unless something unseen is wrong.
But I have a good feeling it will fire right up.
Here are 2 pics I took after getting it home.
Seriously folks,,, I am still in shock,,, gonna get it running ,,,clean it up then probably sell it to finish my bobber.

Attachments

• 0511161705.jpg
    0511161705.jpg
    866.3 KB · Views: 120
  • 0511161705c.jpg
    0511161705c.jpg
    1,009.2 KB · Views: 124

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
That is awesome! What a great gift. That should go a long way in helping you out with your other bike.
Congratulations!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice neighbor!
I started out on a CL350. A 68 or 69.
Carbs or ignition /points cleaning and gap and timing check if a fresh battery is not enough , depending on what you find for spark or fuel..
Great little bike.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be careful on the sealed cell battery. I had one kill a CDI on a old OMC motor. Apparently a gel cell does NOT provide a good voltage drop like a wet cell. The wet cell act as a voltage regulator to old motors. Nice find, I'm jealous.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the gift, check the rubber on those tires.
Sitting for 20 years might cause dry rot.
Once it is safe to ride,,, take it,,
"against the wind"

OP
OP
H

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well,,
The new battery arrived and I decided on giving it the full once over before trying to fire it up.
Found some stuff that needed attention, like a ratnest in the air box along with a BIG pile of stashed corn and droppings.
Plug and points were gapped and cleaned. Carb choke was froze up so I fixed that.
So now I am getting it all back together this week.
Hope to hear the "rap rap rap of the Supertrapp soon guys
Gonna try and get a video of the first start in probably 20 years.
Tires are NOT cracked by the way.

Sherpat

Feb 3, 2016
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic! That bike should be a hoot - those XL's were very easy to ride, and pretty much bulletproof as far as reliability. Can't wait to see the vid! Talk about bringing back memories....

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't see the bobber, there's some old dirt bike in the way.

OP
OP
H

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't see the bobber, there's some old dirt bike in the way.
=======================================================================
Here ya go Bruce,,,
Been working on this for a year now. Should have it done in time to finish the riding season this summer.

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 93

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been dying to get out md-ing and for 4 weekends straight it's poured down rain here, I'm a goin swingin da coil.

cache finder

Dec 23, 2015
SF Bay Area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! I would be hesitant to sell, maybe your neighbor gave it to you cause he thought you liked the bike and wanted to keep it for yourself. I am sure he could have sold it in a heartbeat... But that is just my .02

OP
OP
H

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! I would be hesitant to sell, maybe your neighbor gave it to you cause he thought you liked the bike and wanted to keep it for yourself. I am sure he could have sold it in a heartbeat... But that is just my .02
==================================
He was noving and saw I was into bikes. He was NOT mechanically inclined in any way.
Besides,,, My feet do not touch the ground while I am seated on it..
LMAO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread