Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
S

stefen

Never heard of a bleach remedy. That wouldn't be very good if you have scratches. Besides burning, it can mess ya up some if it gets in your bloodstream. ...Or was this a VERY diluted bleach??

Either way, OUCH!! Just thinking about it make me never want to step foot in the South again!! ...Can't take the heat anymore. Too many years of firefighting in the south Texas heat! :icon_pale:

After cleaning the hen house, we had a bad case of lice...mom set a galvanized wash basin in the yard...filled it with hot water and coal oil...sat in it and scrubbed everywhere...used Fels Naptha to wash our hair...

Vinegar woulda been as good...but probably had a salad that night...

Bleach was probably as toxic as the FelsNaptha soap...

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
FelsNaptha should be considerably safer than bleach.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I am wondering why this person did not go see a doctor when all this happen.

No arterial spurting ,or compound fractures. No bright light and voices calling(yet).
He's only burning and itching and trying not to claw the top several layers of skin off.
Why pay big money to end up with some hairy nurse named Helga putting you in a tub and scrubbing you with a wire brush?

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No arterial spurting ,or compound fractures. No bright light and voices calling(yet).
He's only burning and itching and trying not to claw the top several layers of skin off.
Why pay big money to end up with some hairy nurse named Helga putting you in a tub and scrubbing you with a wire brush?

:laughing7: I wouldn't go to a Doc down here unless I was dying! Even then? I'd have to think about it!:laughing7: Plus mystery solved already! Just ask someone use to the outdoors in the area!

Make a doc appointment, can't get you in for 3 weeks, then you finally get there? Wait 2 or 3 hours in the waiting room around sick people coughing and gagging and they want to sit next to you and talk!!!Then you don't even get to talk to or even see a doc., you see a nurse. No thanks! Just some itchy outside bugs! Just ask Dr. Limitool! :laughing7:

Next I have to figure out the stingy slug looking caterpillar I was stung by a few years ago! Those are nasty too! It looked like a caterpillar but kind of had the skin of a slug, and had a bunch of barbs and stingers on its back! When I got nailed by that thing it left about a two inch welt on my arm! And felt like I just got stung by a bunch of bees at once. That was in northern AL. I never did identify that thing! :laughing7: set my arm right on it! :BangHead: I'm not sure? But I Might have even cried like a little girl when no one was looking. But I can't remember!:laughing7:

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
:laughing7: I wouldn't go to a Doc down here unless I was dying! Even then? I'd have to think about it!:laughing7:

Next I have to figure out the stingy slug looking caterpillar I was stung by a few years ago! Those are nasty too! It looked like a caterpillar but kind of had the skin of a slug, and had a bunch of barbs and stingers on its back! When I got nailed by that thing it left about a two inch welt on my arm! And felt like I just got stung by a bunch of bees at once. That was in northern AL. I never did identify that thing! :laughing7: set my arm right on it! :BangHead:

How to Treat a Caterpillar Sting: 8 Steps (with Pictures)

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, OV, that's quite the article!! ...Guess it's a good thing I have had enough sense to not fool with bugs. No, instead, I just grew up voluntarily running INTO burning buildings instead of running away. Geez....something don't sound quite kosher there, either! :laughing9:

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Uh, I'm so happy to see all the PROFESSIONAL advice from around the country. I know-----Go see a doctor. Emergency room, MedExpress clinic, Free Clinic. Unless this was a joke post and I missed something, you guys scare me...

It not a joke post.... These things are real if you ever get into a good batch. I didn't pay to get the damn things and I'm not paying someone to rid myself of them either. Especially when I know for sure what I have. Not when a decent bleach soaking will do the trick. Their just microscopic bugs but they'll drive you NUTS if you don't rid yourself of them.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well if salt water works......come on out Nitric! I'am about a 1/4 mile from the pacific.....
I have told Brad MANY times I would visit....if you get rid of the chiggers.

Don't let a little bug scare ya.... You gotta do better than that buddy. I've lived her for 22 years now and only got a mild case twice on my ankles. But both times I didn't spray first. Now... I'll admit bleach is probably a little over the top.... BUT IT WORKS REAL QUICKLY! For me #1 is a bad case of chiggers. #2 is a bad case of seed ticks. Everything after that is girly stuff.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't let a little bug scare ya.... You gotta do better than that buddy. I've lived her for 22 years now and only got a mild case twice on my ankles. But both times I didn't spray first. Now... I'll admit bleach is probably a little over the top.... BUT IT WORKS REAL QUICKLY! For me #1 is a bad case of chiggers. #2 is a bad case of seed ticks. Everything after that is girly stuff.

Ankle biters eh?
Then I bet these would work! (they will be on my feet though...)

DSCN0246.JPG

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roll on deodorant will dry it right up and help with the itching.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another reason to live in the north, never encountered a chigger in the woods. But then again spent the better part of every summer day roaming through woods as a kid and never encountered poisen oak or ivy either. But on the subject of severe itching I am an expert since I am allergic to several oils commonly used in lotions and so much as shaking hands with someone using them will send blisters up my arms with insane itching for days.

Anyway, two things will help the itch tremendously. First is ibruprophen in double doses. Itching is really just another form of pain coupled with inflammation and responds to the same medication. Second is hot water. You can run the itchy part under hot water or sit in a hot bath. The first few minutes the itch gets about twenty times worse but then goes away and stays away for hours. Do the hot bath and the ibruprophen and you should feel pretty comfortable.

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Don't see the one that got me in Southern Az. Some how it got into the sleeping bag at the bottom and when I got in it got me good on my leg. Burned as bad as a normal scorpion. Got out of the bag quick and found the flash light to find out what it was.
"A Caterpillar?" "How did it get into the tent and then the sleeping bag?" And my brother laughed, I thought about putting it in his. LOL

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I was mowing one day in Tennessee and I felt this burning on my shin I looked and there were two tiny red marks,it swelled and burned for several days and then started to itch like crazy and turned a nasty purple color,lasted for awhile.

GOD Bless

Chris

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread