Questions on panning for gold

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Normally if you can push a pin into it and it doesn't shatter but does go in, then the odds went up on it being gold. If it shatters, then it is most likely Iron Pyrite. Also the weight of gold (SG 19.2) is more than lead (11.7). Is it heavier than a piece of lead the same size? Time for excitement.lol

OP
OP
H

Hunter101

Feb 24, 2016
Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/Garrett Ace 350/Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll see if that works. I've noticed the same thing on larger pieces of granite that have shiny pieces of gold like colors.

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
You can crush a small piece of it and pan it down. If the flakes shatter or see it go from gold to balk as you turn it in the sunlight then it is more likely Iron Pyrite. Many people have been fooled by Fool's Gold. Both ways. LOL Some times Iron Pyrite has had some gold content. In granite it may well be Iron Pyrite, but all my hunting has been out in Arizona and New Mexico. The highest gold has been ever found was Cripple Creek Co. .999 fine The lowest gold has been found was 50%. It can be red (copper), Brown (Iron), and once Green (Arsenic). The Green Gold Mine has been found more than once, but the people that went back for a second trip never came back. They were told it was gold and went back before finding out everything about the Arsenic. Some where in Northern California. Arsenic is nasty can actually go through the pores of the skin and well as breathing it.

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a gold panning forum here on Treasurenet. You should ask there also.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
The stuff in the granite is mica. Does fool some, but is soft and easily broken. Pan yourself a bunch of yellow and then go try and buy something. They'll tell you what you have...

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once you see it you'll know it, and you'll never forget it.... A good loupe never hurts, Doc from GoldHog just posted up this morning about his
favorite loupe, less than $4, down in the Prospecing Forum...

Go buy some paydirt.. You don't need to buy a big $300 bag or anything, and you aren't going to make money on it, and you aren't going to even break even.. But
what you will get, you will get to see what GOLD looks like, and you will see how GOLD behaves in your pan..

Once you see it, you'll know it...

The Prospecting Forum here.. You can spend days and days just going through and reading all about gold... I've been working on it for a year and haven't made it all the
way through yet... Then after I learn something new, or something else peaks my interest, I'll go back through looking for threads on that topic... Then I learn something
else new, and I have to start all over again...

I warn you... DO NOT buy pay dirt... You WILL get the disease.... GOLD FEVER is no joke, its not something that was made up.. Its Real. Best "fever" I've ever had,
but I'm just warning you.

OP
OP
H

Hunter101

Feb 24, 2016
Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/Garrett Ace 350/Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once you see it you'll know it, and you'll never forget it.... A good loupe never hurts, Doc from GoldHog just posted up this morning about his
favorite loupe, less than $4, down in the Prospecing Forum...

Go buy some paydirt.. You don't need to buy a big $300 bag or anything, and you aren't going to make money on it, and you aren't going to even break even.. But
what you will get, you will get to see what GOLD looks like, and you will see how GOLD behaves in your pan..

Once you see it, you'll know it...

The Prospecting Forum here.. You can spend days and days just going through and reading all about gold... I've been working on it for a year and haven't made it all the
way through yet... Then after I learn something new, or something else peaks my interest, I'll go back through looking for threads on that topic... Then I learn something
else new, and I have to start all over again...

I warn you... DO NOT buy pay dirt... You WILL get the disease.... GOLD FEVER is no joke, its not something that was made up.. Its Real. Best "fever" I've ever had,
but I'm just warning you.

image.jpeg

Too late on the gold fever... I took a trip and found this. It's about 1 to 1 1/2 millimeters in diameter. Found a couple others just barely smaller. I'm hooked. Going back with some real equipment for memorial weekend. Boy do I hate gold fever sometimes lol.

Jeffrey Harris

Greenie
May 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope I'm not violating any rules with this advice, check out "Ask Jeff Williams" on youtube. He is an auto mechanic and expert gold prospector, covering every aspect of gold prospecting. Also Chris Ralph's 'Fists Full of Gold' is an excellent book. Join a gold prospecting club. And of course the various gold prospecting forums on this website. Good luck, get some shiney!

Jeff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions