Look for some knowledge on this 1991 yellow penny.

DW Dirt Whisperer

Jan 11, 2014
El Paso Texas
Detector(s) used
2 Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry. Topic should read ..Looking for some knowledge..... I have never seen a penny like this. Can anyone tell me why this penny is the way it is. A friend of mine found it while he was scavenging through the dumpsters looking for goodies. It was in a bag by itself. Is it a collectible? Is it a rarity? Last is it a plain Jane? Thanks for you help in advance.

Attachments

• 1464452709211.jpg
    1464452709211.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 335
  • 1464452807509.jpg
    1464452807509.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 528
  • 1464452822859.jpg
    1464452822859.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 410
  • 1464452836935.jpg
    1464452836935.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 279
  • 1464452863235.jpg
    1464452863235.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 390
Last edited:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
First, you must learn to handle coins correctly: with white cotton gloves, and by the rims only.

I would have to have the coin in hand to be certain, but it looks to be a double-die variety (look closely at LIBERTY), and might also be a proof. Gold coloring could be a result of looking at a proof coin, or the coin could have been gold plated.

OP
OP
DW Dirt Whisperer

DW Dirt Whisperer

Jan 11, 2014
El Paso Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, you must learn to handle coins correctly: with white cotton gloves, and by the rims only.

I would have to have the coin in hand to be certain, but it looks to be a double-die variety (look closely at LIBERTY), and might also be a proof. Gold coloring could be a result of looking at a proof coin, or the coin could have been gold plated.

Ok thanks for info. Need to get some gloves. What exactly am I looking for in the liberty.

OP
OP
DW Dirt Whisperer

DW Dirt Whisperer

Jan 11, 2014
El Paso Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a reason why the ES on states and the O in of on the back are not raised like the rest.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My observations and thoughts... It's not a proof cent, only "S" mints were, though it does appear uncirculated. It's not an error coin that I can see. You don't need white cotton gloves to handle daily pocket change. I have seen gold plated Lincoln cents before and even have a couple somewhere. However color variances do happen from time to time, where the metal mix is not true copper plate. The brassy yellow appearance being due to a higher amount of one metal verses the copper, making them appear yellowish. If it does indeed have a doubling affect it is probably just machine doubling versus an actual double-die error, though I don't see it in the photos. The weak letters on the reverse are due to grease in the die more than likely, not uncommon.

OP
OP
DW Dirt Whisperer

DW Dirt Whisperer

Jan 11, 2014
El Paso Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My observations and thoughts... It's not a proof cent, only "S" mints were, though it does appear uncirculated. It's not an error coin that I can see. You don't need white cotton gloves to handle daily pocket change. I have seen gold plated Lincoln cents before and even have a couple somewhere. However color variances do happen from time to time, where the metal mix is not true copper plate. The brassy yellow appearance being due to a higher amount of one metal verses the copper, making them appear yellowish. If it does indeed have a doubling affect it is probably just machine doubling versus an actual double-die error, though I don't see it in the photos. The weak letters on the reverse are due to grease in the die more than likely, not uncommon.

Ok. Thanks so much. At minimum then it's pretty cool looking. Tahanks again.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
I doubt it is gold plated. I could be wrong, but I believe it is actually zinc plated. Rather than explain the process that I used in 8th grade Chemistry, I would ask that you do an Internet search for "how to make a gold colored penny", or similar terms. When I searched several boxes of cents a week I would find one or two of these for every ten boxes or so.

Time for coffee.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread