LOOTERS

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
I can't believe there aren't more posts about this already. I doubt these knuckleheads realize what they've done.
But almost as importantly, I don't think many in this hobby realize what this is going to do to all of us.
Legally and behaviorally.
Good luck getting permission to hunt new properties from now on.
And rightfully so.
I's just like a lot of things in life now. When we were young our parents wouldn't think twice about letting us out of their sight for hours on end.Now you would be crazy
to.
Sorry. Iv'e started a rant.

OP
OP
HCW

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
I hope these guys get everything they deserve!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are plenty of posts here on Tnet concerning this issue and I also saw it posted on a couple of the regional facebook groups. It has not affected me yet. I must admit that I hope they get caught and get a stiff penalty. :censored:
I still talk to people, gain their trust and get permission to clean their yards of unwanted debris. My only fees are the coins I pull from their property. Most people are curious as to what is in their yard and only want to see my finds. The finds normally shed light as to who previously lived there as we discuss the oddities that I found.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's getting started. I live in VA and love to CW relic hunt. I have been asked twice this weekend witch " Battle feilds "I hunted. I knew both people. The ones who don't know us just give dirty looks.

HH, Relic Nut

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
As loco-digger says, there's plenty of forum posts about this on various forums.

And NONE OF THESE POSTS would be happening (nor the original news article itself), if those frickin' guys would have covered their holes and left no trace. Notice in the news story, that that (visible holes) is what led to the morning employee spotting something amiss.

So those clowns screwed up on 2 counts:1) sneaking obvious historic monuments, and 2) not covering their holes to lead to all this bruhaha :dontknow:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Wouldn't this all be just a hoot, if it was some park employee who did it. That or the holes had NOTHING to do with metal detecting.

That's the thing about holes... They can be from a whole variety of reasons.......

Skippy, you are a GENIUS with this idea. I hadn't even thought of that. BUT IT'S ENTIRELY POSSIBLE. Consider the following:

There was a "B.O.L." issued to all the employees, and museum docents, of Monterey, CA (and the police, rangers, etc....) to be on the lookout for illegal metal detecting at the lower presidio park. This is a sensitive historic federal monument in Monterey, CA. The email alert that I was CC'd into (because I'm a docent there) explained that holes had been spotted, that were determined to have been dug by someone(s) with a metal detector.

It wasn't me, but my heart sunk anyhow. Because the head curator of the cultural arts dept. at the city hall, knows my hobby is detecting. :censored:

HOWEVER: A few months later, it was determined that it was the BOYSCOUTS (who have their little meeting lodge hall nearby) had been conducting geo-caching hobby exercises. And had apparently left ruffled marks in the turf. So md'ing was NOT the reason, despite the dire-sounding earlier notice.

Good catch skippy !

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea we need more posts on this . :sarcasm
Not enough Haters saw it already.
Get the story to go Viral so the Law Makers can sneak in some more Rules against detectorits saving relics from rotting away.

Maybe if they get all these dangerous detectorists off the streets and behind bars, the cities will be safer.

Yes it's illegal. But so is defamation & declaring someone Guilty who didn't admit guilt
or wasn't Convicted in court.

Do they have serial Numbers & receipts to prove what relics
besides can tabs and zinclons are missing from the battlefield ?

I could go on about Hate speech & convicting a whole group of people over the "accused" actions of 2.

this is all I have to Say yet.

images.png tumblr_naj246hUiv1spiuxqo4_250.gif

Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably just a surfeit of skunks looking for grubs...

skunks.jpg

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other

View attachment 1319904

You are all over it with the skunks!

A few weeks back I hunted a spot... put all the plugs back, just like usual. I returned a couple of days later, to discover several plugs removed from the holes, and dirt dug out of the holes. After pondering the situation, I assumed it was an animal. A short while later, I got a wiff of a skunk, by a hollow tree... and it all came together, a skunk had uncovered my holes!

I bet those poor fools covered their holes, only to be "undone" by the little stinkers!

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where is the beginning of this thread ?, it seems to start in the middle. What looters are you all talking about ?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are at least 4 threads on this right now... Couple people were night hawking on a civil war battle field...

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are all over it with the skunks! A few weeks back I hunted a spot... put all the plugs back, just like usual. I returned a couple of days later, to discover several plugs removed from the holes, and dirt dug out of the holes. After pondering the situation, I assumed it was an animal. A short while later, I got a wiff of a skunk, by a hollow tree... and it all came together, a skunk had uncovered my holes!

I bet those poor fools covered their holes, only to be "undone" by the little stinkers!

Nasty little critters! There's a field I do that has been totally trashed by skunks. They tear up my plugs, plus any other sod they can pry loose. Most of the outfield grass is dead and it looks like I'm the one who did it! Now I have to avoid that field until the fall. Don't want to take the heat for their actions!

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Someone/thing else that digs holes. Squirrels! I've been repairing holes all spring from those buggers digging up the acorns they buried last fall. Lets just hope those "detectorists" (I'd just call them thieves) don't do to your hobby like the few "drone" owners did to one of mine. Actions of a few idiots now means I have to be registered to fly model airplanes, with the FAA. I am one who follows the rules, belong to the AMA, and so on. But now I'm required to have an FAA ID on everyone of my planes, and carry FAA ID. That's all it takes, couple of bad apples, and somebody in Congress who is clueless, and you now have to register your hobby and equipment on a national database. Oh and your info is available just for the asking. There was a recent incident with a 'drone", local police got a list of all registered owners in the area, from the FAA, and started knocking on doors. Silly as if you are going to break the law, I really doubt you'd register...

Last edited:

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If I find grubs in the hole, I leave them out when refilling.........let 'em have an easy meal and maybe, just maybe, the critters will leave my plug undisturbed.............

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Something else, I had added it to my above post but it somehow disappeared.

To me, a battle field is Hallowed Ground. Maybe because Memorial Day just passed, but people gave the ultimate sacrifice on that ground. I don't need to see another belt buckle, or button, or bullet, etc. to know what happened there. I know people gave their lives on that spot to defend what they felt was right, and to keep our freedom.

We should thank them every day for what they did, and treat the place they sacrificed their lives on as a place of reverence.

Not some place to go around looking for souvenirs.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I don't think I ever thought I would say this BUUUUTTT maybe Jeff did hit on an idea. That We enmasse write to the News Papers explaining Our position or take on this mess. Include that We believe that those responsible for it be Arrested & either Fined or Jailed. This way John Q. Public will know what Our stance on this matter . Also that this would EDUCATE the Public that We are NOT the sneaky little thieves they are making us out to be.
Let me be clear about this ok. I have NEVER once said that anyone do a Write In to any News Media or Politician except when We were left with no other recourse to set the Records straight. An example of this is at the top of the General Discussion Forum where detecting was about to be Banned from ALL MA beaches. We had NOTHING left to lose. This case I believe is one of those times. We have already been tried and convicted even without a hearing. We have nothing or very little left to lose.
I've been digging for 47 years and have NEVER left a hole I did not fill in. I obey the Laws but I also use this to Educate the Public about the TRUTH of Our great hobby. I believe that We ALL have a DUTY to Educate the Public when ever the chance arises. This is one of those chances. God knows We can use ALL the good PR We can get.
Anyways, What say ye Folks ?? I await. PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... That We enmasse write to the News Papers explaining Our position or take on this mess. Include that We believe that those responsible for it be Arrested & either Fined or Jailed.....

If we do this, we also be sure to point out that it's NOT EVEN CONCLUSIVE that it was md'rs who made the holes.

I have case-example of a similar historic park situation, where holes were seen, and BOL's issued for md'rs. Yet a few weeks later, turned out it was just the boy-scouts that did geo-caching GPS exercises. And had left ruffled dig marks hither and yonder !

So I wouldn't be so quick to assume it's even detectorists. Afterall, a good detectorist leaves no trace of his holes, and wouldn't be stupid enough to have left visible holes (sounds like they were wide open holes) that would obviously have riled up an arriving morning employee.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Tom; You are right. We must include that point in Our writings to each intended Party. We can also use that point to Educate the Public and Authorities as to the other possible causes for these holes. As it stands right now WE "ARE" the culprits and deserving of all shunning, banning etc. That We have been Tried, Convicted and Sentenced without even so much as a Hearing on the matter. The Patriots fought the Rev War because of "Taxation without Representation." The same Ideology does apply here.
The old saying is "The Squeaky Wheel gets the Grease." We have not even made a peep so how would they know the Truth ?? The other old saying is " If you tell a lie loud enough and long enough; the lie becomes Truth." The lies about Us detectorists has been getting told for a long time now and sure enough the People have come to believe these lies as Truth. I say it is time that We detectorists MUST start somewhere to begin eradicating, for lack of a better word, these lies. If We here do Nothing then We hereby Deserve Our Fate, Just or not. "Empires are built one stone at a time." We need to start building the Truth some time or We will be crushed by the weight of the Walls of Opinion against Us. What say ye Folks ?? I await. PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread