sorry for the newb question in advance

clenell

Greenie
Jun 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
heya folks. it's unfortunate but i think i have dropped one vice for a new one. i bought a metal detector awhile ago but never quite got around to using it until now. sheesh, this is addicting. there is a thrill i have discovered digging up something that not only might be valuable but certainly has a history to it. my wife is starting to get upset with my nightly trips after work and on the weekend. in any event, i have a question...

I am starting to branch out from public parks. I want to ask people in advance to look on their property - customary. Can you tell me do you offer whatever you find to the land owner? how does this work? I do not want to insult anyone. do i simply offer to show them what I find? any advice on this matter would be very helpful. there is an old farm by my house that looks very interesting.

thanks
craig

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First of all, ask in person, the telephone is too alienating. Personally, I don't hint at sharing unless they bring it up or they seem reluctant. If they want the stuff, that's OK too but I insist on pictures. After all, it's all about the thrill of the hunt and the joy of discovery for me. I don't have any unrealistic visions of great monetary gains here, I'm just having fun.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
You don't even start talking about "splits" and so forth UNLESS THEY BRING IT UP. Otherwise, the only thing that talking about "treasures" and "valuables" (splits and so forth) does, is conjur up legal implications, etc... And then what if you don't find anything but a few wheaties ? You'll be pretty red-faced saying "dis-regard, just found some junk".

Unless you are commissioned by someone to look for a particular thing. Like "we suspect grandpa buried his stuff somewhere in the sideyard" or "I think I lost my ring while gardening right here", etc... Then sure, you might have to discuss splits, or charge for your time, etc... But if it's just hobbyist stuff checking yards, or where a stage stop used to be "on their back 40", then you don't start talking contracts, split, etc.... Not unless they start to ask for something in writing.

Here's all I ever say: "You're welcome to anything I find". And while that seems bogus to hand over everything (why even bother detecting if you can't keep anything?), yet I have NEVER had anyone demand everything. I will always hand them a cool buffalo nickel or barber dime or whatever and joke "give this to your first grandkid". And if I see a good token or something I want for my own collection (because perhaps I recognize a certain date or a certain token as valuable), I'll say "do you mind if I keep this particular one for my collection? I don't have this particular type or date yet"

Most of the time, when you show a homeowner some dirty coins, pulltabs, etc..., they just laugh and say "keep it".

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Bruce is correct: On the rare occasion that someone actualy did insist on taking everything, it's still worth it. I always snap pictures, and that still serves as "holes in one" having fun to find. A lot of times, when I return to the doorstep to say thanx, they don't even followup with "what did you find?"

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
We need a sticky some-where for seeking permissions...
Start with reviewing the metal detecting code of ethics. TreasureNet - Guide
There are multiple threads scattered through this forum on the subject.
My take on it is just opinion of my own ,and partly from others ,your methods will evolve in time to suit you more specifically.

Smile when asking permission.
State your reason for asking. Perhaps " , my hobby is metal detecting , looking for coins and items from the past".
With modern shows on T.V. equating detecting to recoveries of treasure and high value objects , many of those who do not detect will suspect you are on to some great wealth hidden on their property and be suspicious of your intentions.
Some will ask what the most valuable thing(s) you recovered were ,others may be more concerned about you leaving holes or breaking pipes or bringing in a backhoe.
Only one permission asked for half the gold if I found a chest of it.
My reply was ,"sure but I get to keep the chest".
If a family heirloom was lost I'm more than willing to return it.
A plain silver coin of no note(not reworked into a love token or war souvenir, birth of a child ect.) before the hunt will go in a padded pill bottle.
I don't offer a cut or portion. That is up to whom ever grants me permission.
If the source wants to see my finds before I leave that's fine.
I offer anyone worried about holes a recovery demonstration. (Note ,practice recoveries till no sign exists of where you made a recovery fist!) Even on poor soils or yards, or on a back forty.
I'm looking for a coin older than I am ,that's a treasure in my estimation.
The odds of more are very slim ,but of course if some one put me in the way of a big windfall there would be an obligation to see that their life saw an improvement too.
My time ,tools, and knowledge are as valuable as your mechanic's to me. If your choice of a couple items when time for me to leave are not enough ,I may not be all that interested in your property.
If I don't know the value of a suspected high value item I will research it. Being not a real pirate it will work out and you will be involved in any great potential gain.

Where should I park? Do you want me to notify you when I leave? Can I return and hunt again or do you want a face to face request to hunt again?
Any thing lost in the past that is sentimental? (If so try to narrow down description of object and possible location).

A casual approach as an hobby enthusiast (not a treasure hunter) while smiling and not looking like a dog under a buffet table , helps get casual replies.
Dress presentably casual , enough to not look like a bum ..or an attorney.
Relax. The worst reply is a no , and that is not to be taken as personal. Imagine a knock at your own door and a request to look at your landscaping under the mulch for rare insects for instance. If you are prepared to take away the no's , and you can gain experience over time , by being honest and truly respecting others and their property, you'll get more permissions.
Some folks will wave you on with go ahead ,while others have concerns. Some are easier than others. Due to human differences.
An immaculate green lawn during a drought ,no need to ask , go to another site. Dry conditions and no rain in the very near forecast might mean no nice areas of ground cover should be cut...better to return anther time than kill spots in a nice yard, or noticeable areas of any yard..
A yard that looks like a bomb test range , go ahead and knock . Then assure the permission granter you will respect it. Honestly and mean it.

Let folks know you are a detectorist by hobby..they may know others with a lost item ,or a farm ect. that they think would allow you access.

Hello( with a smile.) "I'm so and so from such a place and I noticed your neat looking place has a decent age to it.
"This may seem odd but I metal detect as a hobby and am looking for properties with a little age to try and find a coin older than I am.
Mind if I take a swing at it?"
Let them list any terms or notes of importance and be prepared to remove any negatives.(Gets easier with time.)
"No! I don't want you diggin up my yard."
I can show you what a recovery looks like if you have any concerns about my leaving any evidence of being here besides my tracks.
My range is several inches in depth so I won't be uprooting your plumbing or anything crazy. When I get a signal I can check around it for a continuation that would indicate a buried shallow pipe or wire.

If still a No?
Always thank them for their time and have a super day.

If a yes ,consider a Christmas or anytime thank you card. Even if you found nothing of interest ,you are representing a polite group.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

clenell

Greenie
Jun 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks folks. that's what i wanted to know!

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1st of all get on your wifes good side and maybe take her. Remember the hole you dig maybe your own. :hello:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
clenell I recommend you search the posts using the term permission This topic is discussed all the time. You will find some real good info in many of the previous posts concerning this matter. When I first found Tnet, I lurked for about 6 months searching forums and threads for the info I seeked. Good Luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread