Whats the biggest purchase youve made with coins?

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
Re: What's the biggest purchase you've made with coins?

A couple of $20 purchases of gas in rolled quarters....Thats the most at one time for me!

~Nash~

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

Lasivian,

why would you do that?
Sure it's legal tender but..........

It's a pain in the ass for the folks
your dealing with.

Why not just take them to a bank and
get paper?

Could see if you wanted to give someone
a hard time,........ but....................

Just my 2 cents.

have a good un......
SHERMANVILLE

OP
OP
Lasivian

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:
why would you do that?

get paper?

I was headed to a bank actually and had them in my backpack, figured "what the hell". Since the bank would have taken 2%.

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004

LOL, more coins :) Although the Coin Star machine helped me turn all that nasty cald into silver.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

Lasivian said:
why would you do that?

get paper?

I was headed to a bank actually and had them in my backpack, figured "what the hell". Since the bank would have taken 2%.

Get a new bank ;) ;D

have a good un.....
SHERMANVILLE

OP
OP
Lasivian

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Gribnitz said:
Although the Coin Star machine helped me turn all that nasty cald into silver.

Doesn't Coinstar take 10%?

Get a new bank ;) ;D

Working on it, 2% is the lowest i've found and that's my credit union.

beavis

Mar 11, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Never bought something with an excess amount of change, but when I managed a retail store I was wishing someone would pay with change. It was hard to keep change in the register. All that change Lasivian spoke of would have been Heaven to my eyes.

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004

Lasivian said:
Gribnitz said:
Although the Coin Star machine helped me turn all that nasty cald into silver.

Doesn't Coinstar take 10%?

Yeah, it takes a chunk but it is convienent and not as embarrassing as asking the teller to run the coins through 3 or 4 times until they take.

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X

Got 24 times face for a bunch of black beach silver and walked out of the coin shop with a wad of bills and a U.S. $10.00 gold piece.

Shortly after that, I sold all my gold finds and bought 3 rooms worth of furniture. My future ex wife wanted to pay off everything before we set a date for the wedding. Like a dummy, I went and sold all my hard found jewelry so we could tie the noose(I mean the knot). I no longer have all that gold or the wife. Oh well!

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX

Just a note about the status of coinage and legal tender. This is just something to remember if you take your clad or other coins to a place and they won't take it. It may not be what you think.

I got into a little disagreement over an insurance payment. They said I owed them extra money because of some technical glitch with a billing. I said I didn't. You know the drill with insurance companies. You're going to lose. So I thought that if they were going to make me pay this "extra" fee for taking my money in the first place, I would at least make them earn some of it. I figured a sack of pennies, dimes, quarter, a few dollar bills, some fives and tens would do the trick. They would have to sort it, count it, take it to the bank to deposit it. A little revenge with an insurance company isn't all bad.

Before I put all this together, I decided to check on what they had to do when I paid my bill this way. Found out 2 interesting facts. Number one is that coins are not considered legal tender any longer. Paper money is but not coins. So they don't HAVE to take the coins in payment. Most places just do but if you try to pay for a car with pennies, they don't have to take it and my guess is they wouldn't. Number two is that they don't HAVE to accept paper bills as payment if they are not set-up to do so. They can refuse it and make you make payment in another form. Ever see those signs at gas stations saying they won't take anything larger than a $50 bill. They don't HAVE to take the $100 bill you have. They can refuse it as payment even though it is legal tender.

So, if you run into a situation where you try to buy something with you "big ass pouch" of clad and they won't take it, you are out of luck.

Just some useless nickel knowledge I learned along the way trying to dink with an insurance company.

Daryl

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Probably a tank of gas.

I tried to pay a fine once with a bag of small change.
The Secretatry was about to take it when the District
Justice come out Crapping himself saying,
"She Don't need to Put up with This ......" etc.

So I politely said if you don't want my money, I guess I'll
leave. a year or so later when they picked me up, I paid it
with bills ;)

Guess I should have Kept the Change Handy 8)

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal

LMAO @ alimony payments.

I take all the change I have (clad that I find, change from coffee, or store purchases) and drop it into a big jar. When the jar gets full, I separate (ok... my kids separate) the change and put them into a few small containers (about the size of a shoebox)... then once a year my wife and kids will roll them up and bring them to the bank and drop it into a savings account.

Well... last week the wife went to Myrtle Beach with the kids and her mom (I stayed home ;D). One night I went to dump all my change in the jar and noticed it was empty... so I went and looked in the containers... EMPTY.
I picked the wife and kids up at the airport yesterday, and over dinner, I asked her about the change. She said she cashed it in the week before she went so she'd have some extra spending money for her trip. Well... the extra spending money (about 95% of which came from me) was about $1,350. That was about a year's worth of change.

So... I guess I can say that I paid for a week of peace and quiet with change....

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

I was certainly tempted to pay in change at the doctor a couple of weeks ago....they gave a discount for paying in cash....refused to give me the discount if I used my debit card, had to write a check.....how silly is that? if I had over $200 in change I would have handed her that and laughed about their silly discount for cash...I can write a check and get the discount knowing the check might not even be a good check but cannot use a debit card which would give them immediate payment and get the same discount. sheeeesh Doctors!

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal

Ahh, cynangyl

thats because to a company, a debit card is the same as a credit card... they still get charged the 3-6% for the transaction. Next time, bring in a bucket of loose change, stick it on the counter, and say... "there it is. oh, and any extra, you can keep as a credit towards my next visit." ;D

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

lol good idea....hopefully I will stay healthy now though....I rarely go to the doc thankfully!

OP
OP
Lasivian

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

spez401 said:
Actually Debit card transactions are cheaper for the retailer than Credit card transactions.

When they say "Credit or Debit?" ask them "Whichever is cheaper for you", they'll get a chuckle and say Debit, sometimes by as much as 5% cheaper.

Just useless knowledge :)

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal

I know it is cheaper for companies to choose debit... which is why when I buy from larger stores... like compusa, bestbuy... oh, and my favorite people ... WALMART, I always choose the Credit option ;D

but even if it's cheaper, it isn't the same as a crisp $20 or $100 bill. Two things I always found ironic about cash... first is that everybody wants it, but nobody tells you if they have it, and second, that the word itself ends in SHHHHH

steve

OP
OP
Lasivian

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

spez401 said:
I know it is cheaper for companies to choose debit... which is why when I buy from larger stores... like compusa, bestbuy... oh, and my favorite people ... WALMART, I always choose the Credit option ;D

Ooooh, I never thought about that....

I detest having to go to wally-world for anything, this would make it feel a bit less painful indeed :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread