OT/ What is the best Recipe you guys have for getting rid of a skunk spray stench ??

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds crazy, but tomato juice or canned tomatos or tomato paste...........used like soap.
I'm a country boy with plenty of those little critters runnin' around........it always worked on the household pets.............

maccounty

Jan 7, 2016
SwMissouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Minelab go find 60 Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol!! I've got it before too. Throw your clothes away. Then go to the creek with a bar of soap and scrub, scrub, scrub. Then the smell will go away a few days later. Most of what your smelling is stuck in your nose. I've heard people say to use tomato juice in a tub and soak in it. I don't know I kind of like the smell of skunk though...

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used " Skunk off " on my Beagles. It's a shampoo for dogs. Works pretty good. I'd try it. I got it at the pet store.

HH RN

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wash in diesel fuel to get rid of the skunk smell, then wash in gasoline to get rid of the diesel, then wash in Dawn dish soap to get rid of the gasoline smell. Works like a charm.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Wash in diesel fuel to get rid of the skunk smell, then wash in gasoline to get rid of the diesel, then wash in Dawn dish soap to get rid of the gasoline smell. Works like a charm.

NO!NO! You might explode. Or have a really bad case of dermatitis.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, send someone for gallons of tomato juice, enough so you can bathe in it. It will cut the smell down so you aren't gagging on it but you will need to use it over and over to really get rid of the smell.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the only thing I found that works well is nothing

Last edited:

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Douche! I have several time on my dog who can't tell a cat from a skunk! Works well and is cheep.
If your embarrass to buy it just wear a cap and shades

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Make them sleep in a tent outside. That will work...but not for you! :laughing7:

I thought I'd run a skunk over with my car when I was 17. That car smelled bad for weeks; blowing stink through the vents there was no fresh air.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my permanent childhood record, telling little Joey Carlson to kick the dead skunk in the road. Really bad idea, as was laughing at him with the other kids as he sat naked and sobbing in his front yard in a tin wash tub full of tomato juice. Not much compassion in bored country kids.

fishnnut

Jan 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What works real well is a shotgun blast to the head and they don't get a chance to stink then...I shoot everyone I get a chance at..hate them disease carrying bastages....:laughing7:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
My self i think they are fun animal to watch .and to shoot one for no reason but hate makes no sense to me .But then myself i like all all wild life ,i like to watch and enjoy them all . My self i never found a good way to get rid of skunk smell fast all i ever did was wash that dumb dog of mine every day some times 3 times a day.with a different soap and about every thing that some talked about here .and none of the items worked fast it still took about a week to get rid of all the smell..

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread