Guidance on a Gold Detector/Leather satchel of gold

Haziel

Aug 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Treasure Hunters,

I am a newbie to the site and my name is Mike. I live in Montana and I wanted to seek some guidance on equipment for a search I am on. The item is a leather satchel of some sort and inside has gold nuggets and flakes. I have been told it is not a big find. It sits right around 36 inches. There is no metal for a usual detector. So I was hoping somebody would know of some type of gold detector that will be able to detect it.

Any advice I would be really grateful

Thank you in advance

Mike

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Speaking for myself, I don't understand Mike. What does "It sits right around 36 inches." mean? Is the satchel 36 inches across? Is the satchel buried 36 inches? Gold nuggets and flakes? Any idea what the total weight of gold might be?

We don't have much to make an informed decision on here, Mike.

A Pulse-Induction detector will find an unspecified quantity of gold inside a leather satchel.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Assuming you meant 36" (3 ft.) deep, then I'm curious: How do you know that information?

And yes, as was said: the quantity of gold is important to know. If it's just a few nuggets and flakes, then no detector can get it at that depth. But if it's the capacity of a jar or briefcase, then that's a different story.

OP
OP
H

Haziel

Aug 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes 36 inches down, I know a lady who's grandfather buried it. I honestly do not know how much gold is in it. She said it has some nuggets and some flakes. That is the best I have to go on. And if it is inside a leather satchel I wondered how bad that would block the signal even if there is a significant amount. So I am just not certain which way to go....

Jluv

Jun 29, 2016
Fort Carson, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 101 Bounty Hunter, Whites TDI Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Whites TDI SL is good for gold hunting

OP
OP
H

Haziel

Aug 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help. I will look into what you have sent. Seems like my best options. Thanks again

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really depends on the size of the nuggets and the quantity, mostly the size. From the depth it is supposedly buried at I would suggest a good pulse-induction detector with a large coil, such as a Garrett ATX with the Deepseeker coil, or a Minelab with a large coil. Those machines are optimized for gold, are very sensitive, and go very deep. Wear good quality headphones, and bury some lead pieces in a bag -- get used to that sound, at depth. Dig the faintest signals, and prepare to dig a lot of trash. Good luck!

OP
OP
H

Haziel

Aug 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks cactusman I just completed a little field test where I have tin and aluminum buried at different depths up to 6ft. I ordered a whites 808 tm two box. Hopefully not a mistake. I am going after the satchel in 2 weeks. If I score I will post pictures of the find. I will look into the garrett Atx. Take care

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread