HOW IT ALL BEGAN - Whats YOUR story(s) that led you to being on Tnet today... ? ? ?

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, here goes..... I have been involved in many hobby's in my life. Most I still do, hunting, fishing and camping. For 18 years I owned a 1952 John Deere model 60 tractor that I had rescued from the soon to go scrap yard and completely restored it. I showed and pulled this tractor at tractor pulls very competitively for years. These old tractors have a lot of history with mine and my wife's family history. I had begun to get burned out on tractor pulling and was thinking about selling when I received a phone call one night from a man who said he thought I owned his granddad's old tractor. I was the 6th person to own this tractor that his grandfather had bought brand new. He had been trying to find it for 10 years and finally tracked it to me.
The night he came to see it was very emotional for him. He had pictures of himself at 6 years old with his granddad on the tractor.
I had no choice but to sell it back to him so he could take it to the farm he now owns that the tractor went to brand new.
After this it was time to try something new. I have always been a CW history buff and live in a place that is rich with that history. I bought a detecter and found some great places to hunt and have been hooked every since.
I joined T-net to learn more about my finds and techniques and have comunicated with some great people. I learn something here almost daily.
Joined in 2014 and never looked back.

HH RN

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Waaaaay back around 1982, like all rightly put together 10 year old boys, I had a burning desire to run away and hunt for treasure. Then one year while on a family camping trip in the Rockies I picked up a treasure magazine at a gas station stop. I think I read that thing cover to cover a dozen times before we got back home and I immediately saved up some lawn mowing money to buy a POS Micronta detector. It was junk, but my neighborhood park was virgin and I dug handfuls of clad coins every time I rode there on my bicycle, carrying the detector across the handlebars. One day at the park I found 4 of those really good quality repro "pirate" coins. I was hooked for life from that point. Even when I discovered they were fakes a few years later, it didn't diminish the desire to hunt.

I saved up and bought a Garrett ADS7 which lasted me a long time until I upgraded to a White's 6000ProSL and then a QXT and finally I moved on to the Minelab E-Trac and then CTX.

Before I ever found that first piece of silver (a baby-spoon ring in a friend's yard) I actually found gold. Back on that fateful trip I also bought a gold panning kit from a rock shop in one of the mountain towns. I remember I decided to try it on a 4x4 trip above Ouray, Co. I walked over to a tiny little stream and panned out a scoop of dirt and rocks. There, staring up at me was big, beautiful gold flake! I never forgot that joy either, which is why today I own 2 dredges and cant wait to spend hours underneath a freezing Colorado river!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Started in about 1976, in Jr. High school, with a used Whites 66TR.

As for T'net: I'm about 1 hr. south of San Jose, CA. Which is the hot-bed of technology/computers. So in the mid to late 1990s, I would occasionally run into md'rs who'd come to hunt at Santa Cruz beach. Some of them would talk about "Treasurenet". They said "this is where you can see what people are finding on the east coast and Europe", etc.... But at the time, it was still the stuff of techno-geeks. And it was still the era where having an email address, or a home computer with hookup, was still not common. And even those that did , only had dial up speed (ie.: no pictures and stuff that we're so accustomed to today). So they were more like bulletin boards, with mostly text in those days.

Eventually, in about 1997 or '98, I got my own PC. Had to have one of our employee's 12 yr. old kids come show us how to use it. Doh! And I remembered the word "treasurenet", so asked the kid to show me how to get there, how to log in, etc....

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AARC,

I started around 1993 as a counter balance to a high stress job at the time....it kind of lets you go into a zen mindset when you detect....I'm sure you and others can relate to that aspect of detecting.

The finds are just icing on the cake so to speak.

Regards + HH

TRUTH IS he worked for the canadian railroad! I mean how hard can that be? Do they even ship much up there?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you mean what started us in detecting Or why TODAY are we on?

lazabert

May 11, 2015
Broad Brook, ct
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE 250 & 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me it was 1981, Joined USAF, asked to be an electrician and goto Hawaii. It was done lol. I was 1% of the people making such a request. Went home -maine- borrowed 280 $ from my sister to buy the whites 2400d I think was the model.

Anyway, I 'm 52 now. Nice brick home acrossfromm the 55 acre field. Wrote a letter, got all the permission and kabang 2 metal detectors later after 2 years ---looking to upgrade again lol. Many finds with my machines now --Ace 250 And a whites coin master pro. Every night I struggle to push that accept button for the At Pro lol.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...... And it was still the era where having an email address, or a home computer with hookup, was still not common. And even those that did , only had dial up speed (ie.: no pictures and stuff that we're so accustomed to today). So they were more like bulletin boards, with mostly text in those days.

Oh yeah, TNET was really different back then. I am on about my 4th user name here. Back "in the day" your email address was either a regional internet provider, or most likely AOL or prodigy, or some other long dead service. Anyway, providers and emails changed a lot back then. Every time I took a break from TNET, by the time I came back a year or so later I had new ISP and email so I had to start a new account here.

Back then, it was a free-for-all here. No moderators. Debates could get huge and heated. Some got so bad it literally split the forum. One person split off and started the TreasureDepot forum and took most of the people who sided with him on debates. TNET went through a dark period and it became a ghost town around here. Then one day I came back to see if it was still here and it had taken off again.

It's interesting, during all these years, the members come and go but the personalities stay the same. Still the same arguments, debates, etc. At least now we have mods who keep the trolls under the bridge, and the arguments civil.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well then. I was born a poor black child.. hey jack, what is it with this imaginary girl of yours? Why can't she join Tnet? I don't know many young ladies who dislike the social media. It isn't your mom is it?

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well then. I was born a poor black child.. hey jack, what is it with this imaginary girl of yours? Why can't she join Tnet? I don't know many young ladies who dislike the social media. It isn't your mom is it?

Rofl.

Jack ? errr Jack Daniels ?

Your mom ? where ? :P

Last edited:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I lurked from a distance for the longest time, but I hated that I couldn't respond to the outlandish, immature, and inappropriate things people say.
Now Jeff and I have developed quite the rapport!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BTW BWD, didya hear about bradys appeal?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I lurked from a distance for the longest time, but I hated that I couldn't respond to the outlandish, immature, and inappropriate things people say.
Now Jeff and I have developed quite the rapport!

thank you, we are here to protect and entertain ( my nsa computer protects and I entertain)

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lol... she does not even own cell phone.
She THINKS shes my mom.
She is rarely on the computer ... she stays busy.
BUT... she watches a lot of T.V. and movies.

Btw... her picture has been posted on Tnet... More than once.
And... 2 members here have met her personally.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW... all this is currently being relayed to her while she is lounging watching History. heh

She says... shush and tell her your story !

And to say thank you :P

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have lurked this site on and off since 95 - 96...

I was given a computer with win 95 on it already which at the time was the newest latest greatest thing since sliced bread...
Anyway...
This was an "upgrade" for me for I had a 386 which was my mothers old one.
So...
I wanted to learn it.
One of the guys who always came round the shop was a computer guy with a real successful com biz...
would come by and shoot the shi ...
So one day I say to him...
"I will work for you for free if you teach me computers"....
Now...
Mind you...
I did not need the money... had my own thing going.
And computers were not my "gig" at all...
Anyway he is all for it...
He was a wild guy...
Big cigars... partied like a rock star... fun guy.
Anyway...
Within 6 months he wanted to partner up and start a com biz...
I declined.
I only really wanted to know enough to run win95 stable... and install drivers,... network coms together etc.
That's it...
Slaving on someones computer just did not tickle my fancy...
Wellll this went on and during all of this I would surf using his stores bad arse connection to the net.
Which was prolly 54k speed .. lol
Hence...
Tnet.
:)

Last edited:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What got me on T-net was another member introduced me to it when I met him out detecting in a park one day it was a small park so I didn't break out my machine just introduced myself and during our conversation he told me to check out the site.What got me into detecting was I went to a one room school house as a child that was founded in the late 1800's and detector enthusiast's were always coming around and that started my interest in the hobby(addiction)LOL

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh jeepers....I have no clue how i found this place. Does that make me a bad person?

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What was it ?
Was it simple ?
Was it complex ?
What inspired you ?
Interested you ?
What age ?
How long ago ?
The moment... the experience... the realization ?

No matter how trivial or what it may seem...
What was it that started you down the path that led you here... to today ?
To become a member of Tnet ?

Tell your story / stories about what led you to end up on Treasure Net today ?

Red is going to respond soon!!

Me 1970 ish Saw a guy in A School yard using a Metal Detector!!! 30 ish years later Saw a Commercial on TV 7 years Ago I Said Iv Always wanted One Birthday after Red Bought Me My First Radio Shack model Sweet fun After that We now Have Four Detectors Not Including The 2 Pin pointers And Working On Getting Red The Ace 400 She Is Drooling Over Reds Story I Better You will Love It HH Chug

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread