HOW IT ALL BEGAN - Whats YOUR story(s) that led you to being on Tnet today... ? ? ?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What was it ?
Was it simple ?
Was it complex ?
What inspired you ?
Interested you ?
What age ?
How long ago ?
The moment... the experience... the realization ?

No matter how trivial or what it may seem...
What was it that started you down the path that led you here... to today ?
To do what you do... Your interest here ?
To buy a detector ?
To coin roll hunt ?
To rock hound ?
ETC.
To become a member of Tnet ?

Tell your story / stories about what led you to end up on Treasure Net today ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me...
It started at a very young age due to my exposure to these types of things...
My dad was a Seabee / accomplished diver.

I was called "Fish" at age 2 for the first time I think...
Loved water...
First Scuba dive at 6.
I really think I was born with a love of the mystery of whats underwater... and dirt / sand.
As far as "looking for / finding things" I was born with the "knack".

Me at age unknown... Dirty as usual from cannons...

PICT0001-3 (91).JPG PICT0001-3 (93).JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW...

This thread was my "better half" 's idea. :P

She is curious. :)

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I joined for the spelling contest; been practicing ever since but I am not sure if this is the right place.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I joined for the spelling contest; been practicing ever since but I am not sure if this is the right place.

heh... sure you are in the right place. :)

We start here with sign language spelling...

Here is your first word ... :P

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
No matter how trivial or what it may seem...
What was it that started you down the path that led you here... to today ?
To become a member of Tnet ?

Tell your story / stories about what led you to end up on Treasure Net today ?[/QUOTE]

It started with a book I read in the High School library. It was telling about a Jesuit mission that was North of Tucson that was wiped out by Apaches. One priest, wounded, and a "Mozo" got to Tucson to tell about the attack, the "Mozo" left and the priest died.
That was in 1963. I was 17.
Didn't resurface until I was transferred to San Antonio in 1980 and went to visit my brother in El Paso. We decided we would go looking for it. We believed that if they had a mission there, they would also have a mine. If a mine then possible ingots. If we found the mine than we would file on it, and sell it. The records that the priest had gotten to Tucson stated that it was a silver mine and rich enough for 2 mule trains a year shipping to Mexico City. We got side tracked by a first person story about a natural gold deposit elsewhere and looked for that also. We were after retirement funds. 25 years of vacations, either 2 weeks or 4 weeks a year, looking.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
It began November 10th, of I think 1961 - my stepfather's birthday. I was on the playground of a school kicking dirt clods & kicked out a 1757 Real. Gave it to my stepfather for his birthday. He carried it with him till he passed in '98 and then I gave it to my son for him to carry. I knew then there was treasure in the ground.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Started in 74, got my first machine that came with three coils. We lived on the old Moonlight cattle drive trail; been hunting since then.

Joined Tnet because I wanted some information on something, must have not been so great because I can not think of what it was.

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a buff of all things "old",,
My coming here was the result of searching for incidents of OOPART coins and relics which were found in Pennsylvania.
Specifically those coins and relics that have absolutely NO BUSINESS in being found in the wilds of Pennsylvania.
If I remember right, the specific thing was some ancient coins found up near "Spanish Hill" area. Then as I dug past the coins I fell into the lore and myth of the entire Spanish Hill story.
Which in turn led me to here (T-NET) as a result of those search queries and the replies generated.
The search for "truth" in history will never end for me (at least) as nearly ALL of written history is quite incorrect as to the exact "whos and whens".
The North American continent was visited by nearly all the seafaring nations of those times and it appears also that there was much valuable material removed too.
For just one instance I look at the "copper culture" of the Great Lakes area and the subsequent findings of "hide ingots" and the related smelting facilities found in the TAG (Tennessee, Alabama and Georgia) region of the Southern North American continent.. And this ONE INSTANCE, with physical proof,,has never been fully investigated, or even mentioned in any contemporary history textbooks.
As far as schooling is concerned it was,,and still has Columbus as being the sole discoverer of the continent. And he NEVER set foot on the mainland continent,, to my knowledge.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For me I was looking for information / tips on how to detect within the cave I found. And I also wanted some opinions on what these dirt/mud mounds could possibly be. And what the symbols upon them meant? I'm still not sure and was so surprised at the interest folks took about it. Many symbols were etched upon the mud mound and some can barely be seen now. It would take a special camera to possibly capture some of them now but their there. I just need help now getting a sifter back to it and spend a few days using it near the fire pit up by the entrance.

That's how I got into T-net... the rest is history.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My girl... AKA "mermaid" is reading and enjoying these posts.
She said that she has been curious for years about how people got here...
and that if a member she would have posted / started this thread.

She asked me to post this thread on her behalf.

Even though she is not a member she still sees and reads alot of what is on Tnet...
through me AND... heh
Via the coffee table computer that is viewable from "her spot".

She says thanks for the postings so far and keep em up. :)

(I am now her typing "do boy" I guess :P )

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AARC,

My reasons were kind of simple....I do admin on another detecting forum so this site allows to be just an every day member like everyone else and not have to censure my comments to the same extent as elsewhere.

Also due to my location I get shut down from detecting during the winter so this site gives me an off season fix.

Regards + HH

Bill

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With me it started as a kid. I was a rock hound most of my relatives on ma's side live in a place in Maine that had a ton of mines. Then when I had my auto shop I had two old guys I made dredge parts for back in the 90's. Then finding out there was gold in NH. across the street from the campground I was staying at! Found some then game on!!! Haven't stopped since!

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC,

My reasons were kind of simple....I do admin on another detecting forum so this site allows to be just an every day member like everyone else and not have to censure my comments to the same extent as elsewhere.

Also due to my location I get shut down from detecting during the winter so this site gives me an off season fix.

Regards + HH

Bill

Hmmm not "just" on Tnet... But "into" finding stuff...
Whatever it is.
When ... how... why etc. :)

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Well I think I told this before... But it started with my Grand Pappy. I'd go with him on walks around the farm. He'd point out markers, and tell me the money is in the farm. Gramps was the textbook "dirt poor farmer" who had a lot of "friends". Things got done, stuff showed up, and no money ever passed hands.
His "friends" were some scary folks, often carrying weapons. These "friends" were very protective of Gramp's property, and still are.

Well after Gramps passed and I owned the farm, I started looking into some of those signs. Even though I didn't need the whatever those signs led to.
The money was in the farm. Coal and natural gas, and Gramps had never sold off the mineral rights. Made enough so I retired at 50. And bored with retired life, I figured I'd do a little digging if you will. Stumbled on here while looking for info on signs and such.

And while here I started reading about all the various treasure legends, and various hunts for such and got hooked.

Oh, and yeah, thanks to info found here, I found the location to three sites so far on the farm. Still there, and still being watched over by "friends".

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AARC,

I started around 1993 as a counter balance to a high stress job at the time....it kind of lets you go into a zen mindset when you detect....I'm sure you and others can relate to that aspect of detecting.

The finds are just icing on the cake so to speak.

Regards + HH

Bill

Hmmm not "just" on Tnet... But "into" finding stuff...
Whatever it is.
When ... how... why etc. :)

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC,

I started around 1993 as a counter balance to a high stress job at the time....it kind of lets you go into a zen mindset when you detect....I'm sure you and others can relate to that aspect of detecting.

The finds are just icing on the cake so to speak.

Regards + HH

Bill

Agreed.

Ever since I gave in to the fact that detecting is more exercise and trash cleanup than "scoring"...
And I fell in love with the peace it can bring within... just by doing it.

I never have a bad day detecting :)

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed.

Ever since I gave in to the fact that detecting is more exercise and trash cleanup than "scoring"...
And I fell in love with the peace it can bring within... just by doing it.

I never have a bad day detecting :)

Errrr.... welllll I take that back....

Did I ever tell the story of the PVC water line I hit while on a perm ?

Heh.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I suppose my pirate's lust for jewels came upon finding a womans gold wedding band w/LARGE diamond solitare in a parking lot while waiting for mother to get the dry cleaning. Mom made me "do the 'right' thing", by placing an ad in the newspaper lost and found. A woman spoke with my mother over the phone and arranged to come pick it up. She arrives and I extend my 7 yr. old hand out offering the ring to her. The woman snatched it out of my hand, practically slapping my hand, glances at it, turns while shoving the ring into her pocket, and beelines straight to an open car door and sped off.

Mom says, "I don't think that ring was really hers." I broke down in tears screaming, "You're so dumb! I HATE YOU!"

Next birthday I got the radioshack metal detector I wanted. I wanted to find more jewels, but no adult would take the time to teach me what all the knobs did. I only ran one set of batteries through it before giving up in frustration.

Fast forward to some time durring DFX production and I wanted one bad, but my financial stars never quite lined up for such a large purchase, so I waited.....and waited. Eventually I decided to put it off until I could spend the time playin, and finances were stable.

That time eventually came, but the DFX was out of production by then, so I bought it's successor instead. What an eye opening learning curve I had! By now I had grown accustomed in life to learning most things on my own through reading/observing/and doing. I still needed help when I had a complicated question, so I ended here frequently finding the answers. Never signed up, just lurking for answers. Eventually, after thousands of hours, having fun, experimenting, running tests, I realized I don't really have any questions anymore, but I still enjoyed lurking on occasion.

When I purchased a third detector this past January, I needed a few settings defined as to what they did. While learning this new machine I felt maybe I should at least try to give something back to the community I learned the most from when I had detector related questions. For me it's the first time on any forum in over 14 years...since quitting a long held post as a mod on the largest photoshop contest site anywhere. (I still have not been back, I was so disgusted). I know this site has had some issues with members in the past and recent past, but I don't care. This isn't a competetion for me, and I like the people here. And nobody else can understand the hobby like other enthusiasts, so it's great fun to joke, and great place to vent with people who can relate.

I hope to give something back, even if it's simply encouragement, or inspiration. That's how I got here in a roundabout way. I don't have time, or desire to be posting on every forum related to the hobby, only one, so I chose the one that helped me the most - Tnet.

Honestly, I could go back to being alone, lurking like before, but I'm enjoying the members banter and have grown to make Tnet pretty much a daily routine. I'd probably miss it.

Thanks for allowing me to blight these forums with my presence. :hello:

Edit: and I know I don't post my finds much, but that's because I know there are people with the skills to photoshop images nearly impossible to identify as being fake, or doctored. I competed against them.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Funny, I had thought I was the crazy who started so I could find treasure. LOL

I was told a story by my grandfather about a train robbery and that the safe was buried on our ranch, even saw a very old paper map with instructions. As a child I had narrowed it down to an area about 80 acres or so.

Then fast forward to 2005 when my parents passed away. I got all the ranches and some other properties. I got a No Customs Flight authorized by my boss to bring back what ever I want in to Europe. I grabbed up just over 400 guns and related items, some art we had, all the books, some furniture, but there was this one safe I grabbed.

A railroad safe, only about 2 foot tall. one hinge was busted. I took it to a person who deals with very old safe stuff and railroad stuff in Switzerland. I only wanted it cleaned, restored and the dial remarked. A year later I go to pay the man and get my safe and he gives me a pretty interested story on the safe about it being stolen.

He tells me well you do not seem very shocked, even considering you job you do not seem shocked. I said no not really, for two reasons, first I got my first MD to find a treasure that matches this and you confirmed the dates. I said the second reason is because I am from a very successful South Texas Cattle Ranching family and to my best recall not one major cattle ranch in South Texas ever started off with Clean and Honest work, just honest intentions for after the fact.

He offered me 250K Swiss right there, did not take it though, took long enough to figure out the treasure story my grand father was telling, so I kept it. I did let him borrow it for about a year for his collection he shows off to his billionaire buddies, just long enough to get my new library built and then he brought it to me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread