Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love kids....with lemon pepper...lol

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes. Kids often see it on cartoons. There is a whole episode of 'Peppa Pig' revolving around treasure hunting and a metal detector. That show is geared towards 2-5, so they get exposed early. Several cartoons feature, at least in part, the hobby in an episode.

I get a kick out of the little girls when I tell them I look for and find jewelry. They're all starry-eyed, "I want one of those". :happysmiley:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to think the kids were cute too and let them tag along but after one suddenly reached into my hole as I was digging it and almost met my very sharp digger, I strongly discourage their participation. No eye contact, point to my headphones and tell them I can't hear them and if necessary tell them to go back to playing or their parents. Safer for all of us.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
The ones I like can make my day the ones I don't it's, " Hey kid are you stalking me. Go find your mother".

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to think the kids were cute too and let them tag along but after one suddenly reached into my hole as I was digging it and almost met my very sharp digger, I strongly discourage their participation. No eye contact, point to my headphones and tell them I can't hear them and if necessary tell them to go back to playing or their parents. Safer for all of us.

You have to set their boundries. I warn them to stay back or I shut the machine off.

The only thing that turns me harsh is when one grabs the machine or kicks it accidentally. Then my tone will change and patience tested. "I SAID ARMS distance, and DO NOT TOUCH the machine!"

I only had to complain to a parnet once. Asked them if they had over a grand to buy me a new machine tomorrow. Then reign in your kid!

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kids will gravitate to the detector.......I let them follow me around and answer their questions as long as they are respectful (and I do explain my rules and set boundries). They ask why I pick up trash and put it in my bucket and I explain that it's my way of helping them stay safe. Some of them will actually help clean the path ahead of me and make their contributions to my bucket........that's when I start handing out the pennies..........
If they break my rules, I pack up and move on to a different site................

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
When they crowd me in the water and expect me to be the current form of entertainment I slowly work my way into deeper water.

They leave when they start gurgling.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Being a life-long teacher, there's always a teachable moment. With an MD those moments are more common.

OP
OP
B

boojababy

Mar 21, 2016
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter gold digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most if these kids were older 8-11, they sat on the playground equipment and just watched.

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was detecting a local beach area with my wife watching. After a bit about 4 young kids started following me, and truthfully getting in the way. I was decent to them and tried to answer all their questions. About 15 minutes later their mother came running down the beach and wanted to know why I was bothering her kids, and I better leave them alone. I was decent to her, but my wife wasn't, and told her what was going on, and why wasn't she watching her kids. Maybe a call to Child Protective Services was in order. A couple minutes later they were in their car and on the way home. If my wife wasn't there, I'm not so sure it would have ended like it did. Just got to be very careful with kids.

OP
OP
B

boojababy

Mar 21, 2016
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter gold digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The kids parents were there, they kept hanging out where I wanted to detect, it bothered me a little but its a public park, they had every right to be there.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think sometimes parents get so tired of watching their kids that they get Detectorists to babysit their kids. I like kids but it's annoying when you're trying to do your thing and their parents don't get the hint. Our hobby is supposed to be relaxing and if we wanted spectators we would bring our own kids to watch. I'm all for getting kids involved in the hobby so don't get me wrong where I'm coming from.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Honestly...I hate it when kids are near me........especially when detecting.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I taught school for over 30 years. I welcomed kids because they gave me a break. I told them I was a teacher and explained how the machine worked. I let them take turns and even if they struggled, they had fun. When they got a signal of any kind, we dug it and I showed them how that was done. I sat in the shade and watched. If a parent showed up, I introduced myself. They would yell to the kids not to break the machine and I always explained that it was just a machine and could be fixed. I tried to make it a positive and fun experience for the kids(6-16 or so). They found some awesome coins, relics and had a blast. When young girls found jewelry they were jazzed. Met some nice parents, some nice kids and had stories to tell at school. Co-sponsored the science club for years and always brought a detector to the field trips. Students loved the hobby. If I was young again, I'd do it again...

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These rug rats followed me for over an hour, taking every find I made (except the gold ring I said was a pulltab!). :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• IMG00622-20111230-1426.jpg
    IMG00622-20111230-1426.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 58

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love kids but I specifically hunt tot lots at night or crappy weather to avoid them.

I don't think random adults should be intruding on their play area, I think it sets a bad precedent for kids to get chatty with any unknown adult. Not to mention, they slow down a hunt in a big way ,,, So, to each their own, but I don't think you should make a habit of hanging with kids, plenty of other places to hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions