Places people don't think to look.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
My uncle used to own a cleaning company and he told me theaters were his favorite places because they would find wallets, rings, watches all kinds of things....

I can't comment on suggesting other types places, but wanted to comment on the theater suggestion: That is very true. If you find the old vaudeville old-town main-street type theaters (which were built in the teens, 20's, or whatever), you can find coins and trinkets in the oddest places.

Because imagine that for 70+ yrs, people stumbled in the dark all the time. And they were all fiddling for change whenever coming or going from the snack stand. While it's true that the establishments would, of course, clean their floors each time (presumably picking up the fumble fingers stuff), yet some of the coins make their way into odd-ball places. Like cracks along floor sills. Or heater-grates. Under counters , anywhere a gap existed, around the pay-booth and concessions, etc....

They tore down a 1920s theater like that in my city. And we found about 50 to 70 period coins this way.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Interesting, but what the **** is wrong with paying in coins?

Not an expert, but the Chinese used to counterfeit U.S. Coins (I've actually held one of the Chinese counterfeit "trade dollar" coins ... my late employer had several examples). Maybe they wanted to make sure these weren't also counterfeit.

You know, you make a name for yourself with knockoffs of everything from sunglasses to nikes. Bad reps tend to stick.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Trade Dollars

Not an expert, but the Chinese used to counterfeit U.S. Coins (I've actually held one of the Chinese counterfeit "trade dollar" coins ... my late employer had several examples). Maybe they wanted to make sure these weren't also counterfeit.

You know, you make a name for yourself with knockoffs of everything from sunglasses to nikes. Bad reps tend to stick.

Several years ago a man here in Mexico asked for my help. He wanted to sell his father's silver dollar collection. With the aid of a highly technical device (my wife's Bugs Bunny refrigerator magnet) I quickly ascertained they were all bogus Chinese trade dollars. I hope he didn't pay much for them.

I don't know anyone who knows much about Chinese laws. But, my own theory is they have a similar law to our US law that over a certain amount of cash is considered a violation of international drugs laws.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's one that's served me well over the years. Car washes. The $2 spritz it off yourself car washes are a trove! If you search the drying area and the vacuum area you'll do well. People pull their floor mats out and hang them over the wall, and goodies drop. My favorite has nothing but a dirt field on the backside. Now comes the fun part. Look for the grates over the drains. Sounds crazy, but I use a small shop vac to get the goodies. Next check where the dirt and water drains off. These are a fan shaped glory hole. Last but not least on your way out take a peek in the trash cans! I've found everything from CDs to gold bracelets. It helps if you pick up the flat cups etc too! If the owner shows up they'll be in a better frame of mind to give you unlimited access since you're cleaning up a little. Used to be they'd empty the vacuums in the dirt next to my favorite, but over the years he's gotten smart and takes the dustbins home to sift. Bummer!! The best part? In under a half hour I can bring home more finds than spending days on other sites with a lot less work.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Old not used anymore beaches and swim areas.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pot holes in parking lots. Stay away from street pot holes lest you become part of the road.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another one is the gravel areas in parking lots, especially the strips close to the entrances. This is a late night or early early morning only search. Amazing how much gets dropped when people trip or are fumbling for keys. Take a plastic tote and fill it with trash as you go kick it along as you go. I've been questioned twice over the years by managers and when they see the bucket of trash & cigarette butts they haven't had a problem with it. OH! when the sweeper trucks show up saddle up & go unless you like huffing talcum powder like dust by the lung full!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The edges of parking lots where the plows shove the snow.

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, EuroAce 350, magnets on ropes
Primary Interest:
The edges of parking lots where the plows shove the snow.

Now that's a nice one. I've been searching the parking lot edges for a while, but never thought about snow plows.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Parking lot islands anywhere but especially in high schools and colleges.
You know, the kind that are filled withgrass, pebbles and wood chips.
Not all are great and there is usually a ton of trash here too but if you get permission these things might be loaded because others rarely think to hunt these things.
I have found tons of clad, a huge amount of junk jewelry, lots of tools and other interesting things.
As far as the good stuff how about this pic of just some of the jewelry I have found in these things including that nice 22k gold ring with a natural pearl.
I say 22k because that is all my test kit goes up to...might even be 24k.
All the rest in that pic that is not marked is silver.

Attachments

• photostudio_1470493003937_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    photostudio_1470493003937_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 102
  • P1040295 (2).jpg
    P1040295 (2).jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 87

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Asphalt parking lots. Like shopping malls. Look for sand accumulation and check curb/island curbs/light pole bases, etc. Cruise parking lot slowly looking for glints in the sun.

We used to find coins, jewelry, and odd things as kids riding our bikes at the malls.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Asphalt parking lots. Like shopping malls. Look for sand accumulation and check curb/island curbs/light pole bases, etc. Cruise parking lot slowly looking for glints in the sun.

We used to find coins, jewelry, and odd things as kids riding our bikes at the malls.

And don't forget the hedges lining the parking lots. I have found lots of 1's, 5's, 10's and 20's that have blown into and around them.

Craigwac

Jan 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And don't forget the hedges lining the parking lots. I have found lots of 1's, 5's, 10's and 20's that have blown into and around them.

Found a $100 bill in the parking lot of a bank like that, years ago. ATMs aren't good for coins, but bills can get caught in the wind when people take them out or try to put them in.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have picked dollar bills from chain link fences that separate the toll plaza road from the sidewalk alongside a bridge.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Don't forget walk in take out restaurants. Actually any place folks have to dig into their pockets for something, like money to pay for what they are picking up, or keys while balancing the food they just carried out. Heck even the auto parts store. I've found over $350.00 over the last 5 years, just laying on the ground.

I turn it in, and if nobody claims it, I get it. Funny I've had folks come back looking for phones, keys, credit cards, but no one has ever come back looking for cash.

Dang, I just thought of something. We have a Goodwill drop off on our parking lot. I wonder how much the guy who works there has found?
Folks all the time loose/hide stuff in furniture and books, be willing to bet someone who does some checking could make a decent haul.

And then there's always dumpster diving. Heck the one at our shop has been a gold mine. Goodwill won't take certain things. This year alone, I've gotten a grass blower, and a pair of gas weed eaters. One of them is a 4 stroke, with interchangeable heads. And all of them showed little use. Our shop is in a high rent area, so a lot of goodies show up at Goodwill. I check the dumpster daily for items they toss out.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions