Another story of how treasure stories need skepticism :

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Years ago, I was at a social function. One fellow there heard that I was into detecting. This person was a very respected wise business owner in the community. Ie.: Not some hick easy to be duped type fellow, etc...

We began talking about a cave he knew about south of Monterey and south of Big Sur. Along the Pacific Coast. He recounted that he, as a kid back in the late 1960s, had explored this cave where there'd been skeletons found. One of which was said to have been in Spanish armor ! And he went on and on about the theories of how it was said to be the result of a massacre from a lost mine, and something to do with the San Antonio mission (circa 1770s, about 15 miles inland from there).

He said he could take me there if I wanted. And that it was hard to find, concealed, and very few people knew of its whereabouts, etc.. But he could probably still find it, all these years later, and take me there. He explained how we'd have to lower ourselves in by ropes, etc....

Sounded good to me ! Since this was well over an hours drive, we kept getting delayed and delayed in our scheduling this trip. But one day, I googled a few of the key words in his story. Turns out his story was line for line from this book: https://www.amazon.com/Tales-Treasures-Pirates-Old-Monterey/dp/0933818122

This local author has penned several books, which are sold at tourist shops around the Monterey Peninsula. He likes to take local stories, various historical facts, and spin them into treasure lore. I've met and talked to this author personally. And this particular story centered on a cave (yes there was a cave) where the pre-contact indians apparently did put their deceased. And when the Hwy. 1 was constructed trough there in the 1930s, a worker had died. He was put in the cave too. Fast forward to the 1950s or '60s, and someone exploring the cave had found the indians bones, and ... gasp, one which evidence westerner/European clothing. That made some little news blurb of the time, and was soon spun into "Spanish armor".

Naturally, it was nothing of the sort. But that didn't stop people from connecting the dots and somehow connecting it with the interior mission, and other tales of "mines", etc....

So as you can see, people like my friend, can read a book, read a story, etc... and just take all the facts as true-starting points. Why have any reason to doubt them ? Why be skeptical ? The book, afterall DOES say "based on factual history" And no doubt, the author probably had some faded newspaper clipping to make the story all-the-more exciting. Had I not met the author personally (to get the real skinny on this story), I too would have no reason to discount this story.

But as you can see, there is no treasure. No suit of armor. And a reasonable alternative explanation for the skeletons in there that has nothing to do with treasure.

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
So why? Why does this happen? Because some people want to feel important? Maybe, they take a story, and, instead of figuring out that something mundane happened, their desire for excitement makes them think, it is buried treasure.

Oak island could be this same phenomenon. There is block and tackle hanging from a tree over a depression, so there must be buried treasure there. It couldn't be a well, or a mass burial, or even a mine of some kind.

We are geared with imaginations that are so powerful, that they can change history.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sounds like someone who put up an unclear picture of his gold find
it has not much story and no other pics or proof

then he pms me to vote banner

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good reminder and tale. I can understand the author guy, he's making a buck, but,
to pass anothers' story off, as your own..........no! :nono:

I wish I needed to make up stories....... :laughing7:
Good goobly goop, the truth(s) in my life are such...... they unfortunately, need no embellishments.
It's sure been one heck of an adventure ride! :notworthy:
I'll usually keep my mouth shut, or tone them down, dramatically..... :BangHead: :laughing7:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember the story when the cave was discovered. I was in San Luis Obispo, and the story was in the local news paper. I believe the cave is on Willow Creek, which is south of Big Sur. A friend of my parents found the jade at Willow Creek, which is now called Jade Cove. The friend's name was Charlie, and Charlie found a large ledge of jade, which he blasted and completely ruined. The blast fractured the jade, and there isn't a 1/4 of an inch that isn't fractured. The entire ledge is milky white, at least it was when I saw it, probably 69 or 70 years ago, I have no idea what's happening there now, could be a housing development for all I know. At one time I bought some property through a real estate agent who had dug and Indian mound on Willow Creek, and he had a fish hook that had been manufactured out of jade, along with a few other jade artifacts.

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Yes BosnMate. That's the correct story and location. And yes, there is naturally occurring jade that hobbyists still go down there, to hunt for.

The highway construction workers of the 1930s, had a fatality. And put the deceased down into a cave that was right at the location they happened to be at . I guess protocols for worker deaths in those days were not as detailed an onerous as today, doh! And 25+ yrs. later someone exploring the cave found pre-contact indian bones (d/t I guess the indians had apparently used it as a burial cave). And the explorers found the singular skeleton with fragments of cloth or some such indications that it was not indian. That made it into some newspaper account of the 1950s, and then speculation ran wild.

Then in the 1970s, the author of this collection of local legends thought that was good fodder for one of his campfire stories. (hey, it's based on fact afterall, eh ?). And then 20 yrs. later, the story gets around and people are just taking it as gospel fact.

So you gotta wonder how-much-so other legends aren't born the exact same way. Oak Island, etc... Yet the human mind wants sseeeooo hard to believe, that no amount of counter-persuasion does any good.

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Tom!! I live down here on the Mississippi River in Louisiana, near where Jean Lafitte was supposedly buried some treasure!! Now I have this old tunnel in my back yard!! He He!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread