vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Until a member pipes in - take a look at AT Pro Coil Comparison Graph - 8.5" x 11" DD Stock vs. 9" x 12" Concentric Coil (Mar 01, 2011, 02:22 AM)...

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it's true and common with ALL metal detectors not just the ATP. The size of the coil is proportional to depth you get on the machine. The places where the 5x8 or the 5x10 CORS coil shine you are not worried as much about depth as you are target separation out of iron and trash.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Honestly, I haven't noticed a difference....the 5x8 allows a more precise hunt, and pinpointing is easier.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For what it's worth, , I managed to recover silver as deep as 9 inches. The 5 x 8 is also lighter and as has been said,, helped me pick out the good targets from among the trash. That is probably the main reason that I used it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For what it's worth I woke up at six this morning a metal detecting and not one but two of my Garrett pin pointers are messed up. I'll turn them on and off nothing. I'm very disappointed and Garrett at this point. They are only six months old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For what it's worth I woke up at six this morning a metal detecting and not one but two of my Garrett pin pointers are messed up. I'll turn them on and off nothing. I'm very disappointed and Garrett at this point. They are only six months old.
metal_detector.gif
I would start off by contacting Garrett (Customer Service: [email protected] or call 1-800-527-4011 Toll Free 8:00-4:30pm Monday-Friday CST) and see what they have to say - members have reported that they have actually replaced stuff (free) - give it a try and let us know how it goes.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sure will I appreciate it. I've already sent the carriage back to Garrett at my charge of postage and they fixed it but I can't believe they are both out while I'm out MD!! Uggggh it's hard doing it old-school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that you may have already done this but without knowing what the defects are, I would change the battery. On the black pro pointer, mud would occasionally get stuck under the rubber button that protects the on/off switch. This will cause the pointer to get stuck in the on position or prevent you from engaging the on switch. You can remove the button carefully and wash it off.
Also, remove any dirt from the switch opening. Do not allow water to get inside the unit.
Garrett has an Excellent "After sales service reputation. " If your pointers are only 6 months old, they will repair or replace your units at no charge.
That has been my experience.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread