THE INJURY THREAD. Post your wounds here.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have no pics of this one but my wife and I were hunting the high desert in 2014 mid winter.we took our quads and were scouting around an old quarry site.got off my quad and set the handbrake.walked out in front of it with my tector and shovel to check it out.was the last time I ever put on headphones on both ears....got plowed by my own quad.bruised ribs from fall and huge bruise on outer thigh.ended that hunt right there.went home skunked,embarrased and banged up.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I guess since anything goes I can throw my little tidbits into the mix.

First was an accident my senior year of high school. Was changing out coax cables on my CB antennae (yes, it was THAT long ago! :tongue3:) when the guy wire behind me snapped. Had a ladder and a pickup under me, so had to ride the mast to the ground. Ended up landing on a pile of firewood that I had split but not yet stacked. NOTE: there's a very good moral-to-the-story there, but I'm not yet finished with the story. *lol* So, landed on the firewood. Ended up with a tiny gash in my chin and messed up my ankle a bit. ...Like, it was bent inward about 95° or so. The bottom of my right foot was aimed at my left calf muscle. Doctor said if you had cut the skin around the ankle, the only thing left to hold the foot to the leg were the blood vessels, ligaments, etc - the ones that hadn't been torn away. Was told I'd no longer be in the fire department, that I'd probably never make it into the military, I'd NEVER run again, might even have to learn how to walk again. He said I'd be in a cast and/or on crutches for a MINIMUM of 6 months! 6 weeks later my mom hauled me into his office demanding that he either release me from care or put me in a straight jacket! Never slowed down until my neck injury.

After the USAF, I was building a doghouse in the shop - a real "custom" job!! Insulated, removable roof, even a night light since the stupid dog was afraid of the dark!! :laughing9: Anyway, had an older Craftsman table saw. The rip fence wasn't all that accurate sometimes. This particular time it bound the wood and kicked the board out of the saw. My left hand went into the saw blade. Cut off the tip of left index finger just under the nail and chewed up on top of the middle finger knuckle. Doctor took a skin graft from the wrist to patch them. ...Well, he did that AFTER I drove my stick-shift truck to the hospital by myself! :laughing7:

So far, have never broken a bone in my body. .....Oh, one more - was building a fence one time and a sliver went into my finger (can't remember which one) and broke off. It hurt for a few days, but no big deal. About 6 months later, was in class in college when this lump appeared on a finger. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was happening. Went up to the instructor and he said to go to the clinic. Instead, I went to my truck and got out my first aid kit. Ended up pulling out a sliver on TOP of the nail that was about 3/4" long.

There have been other fun times, but can't remember them anymore.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of you guys make me cringe reading this stuff!:laughing7: The toenail pics are nasty! It's like, you don't wanna look, but you just have to!

I don't have many past hospital visits, just when I was younger, I've been REAL lucky with that, a lot of "close ones" though.....Nothing big...I was trying to remember after reading yours KCM....

Broken arm....

Dog attack.. that crushed my elbow,and tore up my back and the back of my head, but everything worked out ok, only a few scars today..:laughing7:

Gun shot wound to the face, still not completely sure what actually happened there,Just guesses at this point, But it's been cooler to talk about over the years than any actual Trauma from it.:laughing7: Just grazed, fracturing bones, and leaving a couple of gashes, temp teeth misalignment at the time.... A couple of scars, is all that ended up out of that now. Was real lucky on that one...The doc said if it would have been at a quarter of an inch different angle, it could have been real bad.

Thats about it for anything real, a bunch of cuts, scrapes, and bruises,Some stitches and staples, from a lot of things......A lot of close ones that could have been real bad, but somehow squeezed through!! I try not to push my luck any further these days!:laughing7:had a few dirt bike wrecks that just ended up sore from. Even wrecked a motorcycle and ended up on my feet somehow, watching the bike slide away...To this day? No clue!! how that happened!! I was sore the next day..But no real injuries.That was fun to talk about for a while!:laughing7:

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, let's see...I once ate this strange mushroom. Then a few hours later, started having this terrible reaction and my skin got all inflamed. The skin blistered. The blisters turned to boils. The pain was so bad that I passed out, only to wake up and find...eh, you don't wanna hear that part! :tongue3: So anyway, went to the doctor and he gave me 2 aspirin - said I should come back after his golf game. Then, I passed out again. When I woke up, I was dead. No heartbeat, no pulse, no nothing - just dead. ....Then suddenly, my eyes opened up and there I was, wide awake. And I gotta say, I NEVER ate at that Mexican food restaurant ever again!! :laughing7:

The above story is the honest-to-goodness fib. I can't stand mushrooms!! :tongue3:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, let's see...I once ate this strange mushroom. Then a few hours later, started having this terrible reaction and my skin got all inflamed. The skin blistered. The blisters turned to boils. The pain was so bad that I passed out, only to wake up and find...eh, you don't wanna hear that part! :tongue3: So anyway, went to the doctor and he gave me 2 aspirin - said I should come back after his golf game. Then, I passed out again. When I woke up, I was dead. No heartbeat, no pulse, no nothing - just dead. ....Then suddenly, my eyes opened up and there I was, wide awake. And I gotta say, I NEVER ate at that Mexican food restaurant ever again!! :laughing7:

The above story is the honest-to-goodness fib. I can't stand mushrooms!! :tongue3:

:laughing7: It took me a few times of reading that to get it.....I think I got it!!! It's that waking up thing when your dead, that really sucks...So, I've heard..

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Dave; Yup, I'll Post them tomorrow. My fights are on tonight. Hi Jeff Gordon : Titanium. PEACE:RONB

Ever have ground so trashed that you can't find a place to set your pin pointer down while it is turned on? I've tried putting it in the elastic waist band of my sweat pants (it's too uncomfortable for me to wear a belt), but the titanium in my back sets it to chirping just as bad..........

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was dumpster diving...
I was in deep...
Had an air line and mask because of the smell...
headphones for digging groove... I was jamming...
All of a sudden there was an earthquake... and I was tumbling in garbage ...
then I was falling...
Then it was like the scene on star wars when the walls of garbage were closing in...

Getting compacted sucks every time :P

:)... :)....... :)

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
:laughing7: It took me a few times of reading that to get it.....I think I got it!!! It's that waking up thing when your dead, that really sucks...So, I've heard..
Oh? I thought it was the "honest-to-goodness FIB" part that would catch your attention. :laughing7:

I was dumpster diving...
I was in deep...
Had an air line and mask because of the smell...
headphones for digging groove... I was jamming...
All of a sudden there was an earthquake... and I was tumbling in garbage ...
then I was falling...
Then it was like the scene on star wars when the walls of garbage were closing in...

Getting compacted sucks every time :P

:)... :)....... :)
Ok, ok...I didn't mean for this to turn into a fibber's thread. :P

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great stories guys....
But Nitric!.....SHOT IN THE FACE.!?!?
Not even a Polaroid?

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
image.jpeg

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
(dramatic over-acting) ...So it's true then - I "TRULY AM" useless! :laughing9:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh? I thought it was the "honest-to-goodness FIB" part that would catch your attention. :laughing7:

Ok, ok...I didn't mean for this to turn into a fibber's thread. :P

I thought you were referring to another thread that we talked about in the past....Dead people walking..........Nevermind....:laughing7:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I gotta admit, that other thread "was" the inspiration for my jest. :tongue3:

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, that toe... was of me stupid reading this post while eating lunch. Yep, gonna eat toe...morrow.
About 80% of my injuries were self inflicted, worst was a double disc hernia. The resting 20% are sports related (hockey, martial arts).
Only bobo related to MD is my really stiff right shoulder.
Man, that toe still on my retina...

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the first thing i cut when i got my new digger, was me! Ran my hand down the side of my shinny new toy and sliced my thumb.
Didn't get a pic if it, just a mental one with the caption "idiot!".

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the pic Skippy, yes, I see that is messed up...Lions Club is underrated, glad they were there for you.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That eye pic is amazing with that magnification. Although it sounds weird saying I'm going to say Thanks for sharing.......:laughing7:

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, i'ts been 2 weeks after surgery on my wife's right arm after she broke it. Wasn't expecting to see this after they unwrapped it today! IMG_0418 (2).JPG

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Don't lie kcm... I was there and that's exactly what happened... gee! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread