Recommend a scoop for Freshwate Silt /mud bottom

thaigler

Jul 27, 2016
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesero Bandidio, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We have our vacation coming up in a couple of weeks and will be down at the lake most of the time(9 days). We will be jewelry & coin hunting.. We are very fortunate to have a nice boat to take out to many of the islands that people use for the weekends....swimming, grilling out,etc

We do not go beach so this will be for strictly freshwater. We are dealing with basic mud, silt , the kind of dirt you worry about stepping on a snapping turtle :laughing7:

Would a sand scoop work for this? What would you use to dig in this stuff?...... 2 and 3 feet will be the water we are working in?

I saw this on Ebay Beach Sand Scoop Shovel Digging Tool 2mm Stainless Steel Coins Gold Rings New | eBay

I do not know if that would hold up or not?....I know you get what you pay for sometimes. I have read here that STEALTH 720i is the best.. I might have to hold off on a purchase until next year(spent already around 1K this year on MD) Do not know if the Stealth would work in this stuff?

Any advice on how to tackle this wet silt ?

Tom

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the Stealth 920iX and I can tell you that hoisting that thing full of mud is weightlifting exercise! And in my experience washing that mud out in the water is pretty tough. A Stealth 720i won't be a whole lot lighter.

I also have a 6" aluminum scoop with 5/8" holes in it, watched a target drop right out of it. But it's certainly lighter and easier to handle than the Stealth. I have to cut some 1/4" screen to cable tie it into the bottom and scoop trough to avoid losing small targets.

Indian Steve's scoop, he added an earth magnet to catch the bobby pins, etc so he doesn't have to keep chasing signals. Yes, we basically dig all signals - you just never know.

I don't know what to advise you, but I can say that mud is going to be heavy.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Amendment, I just looked at the link you posted. In my opinion and likely many others to follow, that scoop does not have enough strong structural reinforcement to handle scooping that mud for a whole day. You'd need better than that.

ctdirtdigger

May 14, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Excalibur (2), GPX 4500, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stealth Scoops

I do not know if that would hold up or not?....I know you get what you pay for sometimes. I have read here that STEALTH 720i is the best.. I might have to hold off on a purchase until next year(spent already around 1K this year on MD) Do not know if the Stealth would work in this stuff?

Tom[/QUOTE]

Who makes the Stealth Scoops, or where would I find them ? Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
T

thaigler

Jul 27, 2016
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesero Bandidio, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
STEALTH 920iX Scoop - Tube Mount ? Metal Detecting Stuff He should have the 720i also...He will do you right ..

Tom

Who makes the Stealth Scoops, or where would I find them ? Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread