All Treasure Hunting

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depends. If I just need to take a short ride and a sack lunch I would go alone. If I couldn't do it by myself I would put together a bare-bones team and sell the movie rights to pay for the expedition. :skullflag:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
This would be my approach:

I would first take what time was needed and do as thorough an investigation as I could on my own. Any help I would get along the way would be fairly vague, so as not to attract attention.

If the investigation concludes that I could handle things myself, then I would. If I needed help, then I would figure out just EXACTLY what and how much help was needed.

Now comes the hard part -- -- -- TRUST! Who could you trust to help? Most people have friends. But of said friends, how many people could you truly trust?? How many people would you want to help by bringing them into this with you? I have known people in my life who I could trust 100%. Unfortunately, I was the stupid one and I betrayed their trust and friendship. Nowdays, both of us have been burned so badly by so many different people that we only trust each other. No kids, no family....just the two of us. However, I have come to know some folks online that I "believe" could be trusted enough with such an operation. ...But that's where I'm probably different from a lot of folks. I would much more easily trust someone to help with a big, financial find than I would opening up and having a heart-to-heart discussion about personal things. Money doesn't mean that much to me. ...But unfortunately, it IS a necessary evil!!

Well, that's it. That's the best I can say. The best thing you could to would be to figure out just where your priorities lie. If money is high on the list, you might find it quite difficult to trust someone enough to ask for help. If you value friendship more, than find someone worthy of that friendship and let the treasures be frosting on the cake. And if you bring anyone else into the operation, make it an actual partnership. Sit down ahead of time and all parties go through over and over until everyone comes to a final, mutual agreement. Then not only put it in writing, but have the agreement(s) on video as well, and make certain that every person has full agreements BEFORE any work be done!! In order for this to happen, you will have to provide some sort of evidence of what kinds of values you expect to find, as well as the degree of difficulty in accomplishing the work or retrieving the treasure. Provide whatever information you can, so long as it doesn't allow someone to go behind your back and beat you to it. Give necessary specifics, necessary generalities, and then keep the rest to yourself. It's YOUR find, after all.

HH and Good Luck!!

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go alone if you could, and did not need any extra manpower to retrieve the treasure. You should not get robbed if you are the only person that knows about it. If you tell anybody in your inner circle, then you could make yourself a target for a robbery. If you are going after one of those fabled lost gold or silver mines, that I really doubt even exist, then the others looking for it could see you as a threat and do harm. I hope you have a true treasure to find, and not some made up treasure story. Good luck in your search.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I once told a secret to my best friend.

Turns out he wasn't my best friend after all.

That was 40 years ago now. I've been pretty careful using the term "Best Friend" ever since.

But, yes, there still are good and trustworthy people out there. I do know a few.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
If you had been researching a treasure legend and spent so much time and effort in trying to find this would you take someone with you to recover it and risk being robbed/killed, or would you rather go and do it yourself? Welcome all opinions here!

Thanks

What kind of company do you keep that you are worried about being "robbed/killed"? Yikes...

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that would be a tough one! Trust or "loyalty" is hard to find. Add money into that and it changes everything! So, the value of the Treasure would be something I considered first. If it's worth a few thousand? Sure, I could find a few people to trust. Bump that to hundreds of thousands or millions? Trust seems to have a "price".:laughing7: Same with the chances of being robbed, that has a breaking point of "price" too sometimes!

Like Deepseeker and KCM and the other posts, I have a little experience with this(trust)! I have a little experience with Jeresybens comment too!:laughing7: Then if you can trust the person with the money part? Can you trust them with the information part of it? This doesn't just play into Treasure this plays into life and Business too, of any size. I probably know one person I could trust 100% with anything, the rest could only be trusted with certain topics(?) also with a "value" limit. I also think there are a couple guys online that could be trusted but...That's hard to tell...

So, this would depend on value. If I could retrieve it myself. That couldn't be a quick answer for me....And yes! I don't care who you know, they have a relative,friend, coworker, or themselves could have a breaking point where they will rob or shoot you for money! We have been stolen from by friends and family in the past from people that you would never think of! .....On the flip side! I was very lucky to be trusted by a few guys and saw collections of different things, that was an awesome experience!

Anyhow! I could ramble for days and write a book in here about trust!:laughing7:

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
What kind of company do you keep that you are worried about being "robbed/killed"? Yikes...

Ha, I was thinking the exact same thing when I read the post. I have hunted for over 35 years with hundreds of different friends on various assembled partner hunts. And it never even occurred to me that I needed to worry about being robbed and killed.

Of course we were just routine metal detecting, and weren't necessarily after caches & large Treasures. But even if we had been, I can't imagine the types of friends that I would hunt with that I would have to worry that they are going to rob or kill me in the first place. The type person who fears such scenarios sounds like someone who is steeped in urban treasure Legend ghost stories.

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha, I was thinking the exact same thing when I read the post. I have hunted for over 35 years with hundreds of different friends on various assembled partner hunts. And it never even occurred to me that I needed to worry about being robbed and killed.

Of course we were just routine metal detecting, and weren't necessarily after caches & large Treasures. But even if we had been, I can't imagine the types of friends that I would hunt with that I would have to worry that they are going to rob or kill me in the first place. The type person who fears such scenarios sounds like someone who is steeped in urban treasure Legend ghost stories.

I have to disagree !! The value helps determine this.....It might not be that person directly, it's their kid,friends,family, or two down the line that are looking for money! There is a breaking point where good people or half way good people start thinking......But I'm also assuming a big Treasure from the question.:laughing7:

How many people do you trust in your house, without watching them. Probably a lot! Now, add a table of ...stacks of Gold coins 300...400...ounces, in 1 oz coins......What is the trust level of those same people now, or of who the "telephone game" starts talking to? Now, you could be a potential target. And the chance is very real! Heck, even family members have a "breaking" point.

I would detect with anyone in this thread and probably this site not worrying about getting robbed or shot! The chances of finding something of any size is probably slim too...

Last edited:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
simple...place an ad on craigslist that says you need an honest and trustworthy person to help you carry a large amount of very valueble items.If that seems risky then just post it on a treasure site where some very savy people can figure out who you are,follow you and then help you out without you even needing to ask.

no need to be paranoid,tell everyone you can think of...:laughing7:

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I'd be alone, my best friends also have 4 legs, never been deceived to this day.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I have to disagree !! The value helps determine this.........

Nitric, let's analyze this: No doubt you know someone, wherever you live, who is "well heeled", right ? Doctors, lawyers, persons who drive nicer cars and live in upscale gated communities, etc... And therefore it can be "reasonably determined" that these folks have money, right ? Else how else are they affording the beamers, and sending their kids to private upscale schools, etc...

Then by your logic, these people are at risk of getting robbed and killed. Because *certainly* if all the robbers and killers that *most certainly* roll anyone with something to rob and kill, would most certainly have already robbed and killed them ! You can simply carjack them at any red light, take their $50k car or SUV, drive it to a chop shop, and get the money.

There comes a point in life where you can worry yourself silly that a 747 might crash on your head. Or that by simply wearing a Rolex, you're doomed to be robbed and killed. And that "none of my friends can be trusted to not rob and kill me", etc.... But at a certain point, you might as well huddle up in an armored car on the polar ice-caps.

OP
OP
T

treasure_hunter_2004

May 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all of the replies. Yes it is a massive treasure and I have verified its existence. I will probably just go by myself. There's nothing wrong with being to careful in such scenarios.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nitric, let's analyze this: No doubt you know someone, wherever you live, who is "well heeled", right ? Doctors, lawyers, persons who drive nicer cars and live in upscale gated communities, etc... And therefore it can be "reasonably determined" that these folks have money, right ? Else how else are they affording the beamers, and sending their kids to private upscale schools, etc...

Then by your logic, these people are at risk of getting robbed and killed. Because *certainly* if all the robbers and killers that *most certainly* roll anyone with something to rob and kill, would most certainly have already robbed and killed them ! You can simply carjack them at any red light, take their $50k car or SUV, drive it to a chop shop, and get the money.

There comes a point in life where you can worry yourself silly that a 747 might crash on your head. Or that by simply wearing a Rolex, you're doomed to be robbed and killed. And that "none of my friends can be trusted to not rob and kill me", etc.... But at a certain point, you might as well huddle up in an armored car on the polar ice-caps.

Then why? Do we have safes,insurance,safety deposit boxes,alarm systems, or locks on our front doors? Why not just set it in the front window of your house and leave door open!:laughing7:

I get what your saying about over paranoid! But there is a certain amount of reality to it too! We all have different experiences, not saying one view is better over the other, just saying it is a reality. A real one, depending on value. And yes!! Everything you mention does happen! It's not rare!

Cool topic!

I can tell you from experience, when there is money involved people change... I'm sure there are many variables in this....Take that 50 thousand dollar car..chances are probably a lot lower than if you have a 50 thousand dollar chain around your neck or stack of cash in your pocket or dresser drawer...Sure they are at a higher risk than the broke guy! Maybe not for getting shot, but for being robbed! And I do believe a lot of people have this "breaking" point. Is my only way to describe it. It's the point where a good person, or half good person hits that the value(cash, gold, etc..) is hit where they start thinking, then a lot of times take that next step...

Then too, a rolex, or 50 thousand, is a big difference than 100's of thousands or millions....I'll never find a treasure that big to worry about though! :laughing7: Wear that rolex walking some streets? You won't keep it very long! That is fact!!! Unless real lucky!!!:laughing7:

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other

...Also depends on which side of town you live on. :laughing7:

That's OK Nitric, I understand where you're coming from. Many honest folks aren't quite so honest when they believe nobody is watching and nobody could tell anything was missing. Eh, who's to know I took a nip of the cooking sherry? Who's to know I cut corners building that house? Who's to know I used a cheat sheet on the big test?

Lemme tell ya something Tom, bad people ARE out there. We all know that...even you know it. I'm gonna PM you a real-world example so that you can better understand where we're coming from. As for here in open forum, I've already stated that I have not always been up to the trust and friendship bestowed to me. I had my reasons, and they were wrong. But that's neither here-nor-there. Even people who should ABSOLUTELY be honest sometimes aren't. ....Check your PM's.

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought about this more, I detect alone, if I ever stumbled across a Treasure that was more then I could carry, I would just keep going going back and take it out bit by bit, till it was gone. The trust issue is, if I asked for help, and my friend let it slip out to his wife or brother, and they told 25 people, then you become a target for some drunken junkie that don't work and has nothing better to do then to try and rob you.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...Also depends on which side of town you live on. :laughing7:

That's OK Nitric, I understand where you're coming from. Many honest folks aren't quite so honest when they believe nobody is watching and nobody could tell anything was missing. Eh, who's to know I took a nip of the cooking sherry? Who's to know I cut corners building that house? Who's to know I used a cheat sheet on the big test?

Lemme tell ya something Tom, bad people ARE out there. We all know that...even you know it. I'm gonna PM you a real-world example so that you can better understand where we're coming from. As for here in open forum, I've already stated that I have not always been up to the trust and friendship bestowed to me. I had my reasons, and they were wrong. But that's neither here-nor-there. Even people who should ABSOLUTELY be honest sometimes aren't. ....Check your PM's.

Oh...I was just having fun...I know Tom likes to debate too, and I saw a disagreement! :laughing7: I get his point.. there is a balance(?)...The reality is there and you just can't ignore it either, but you don't want to walk around paranoid about it happening either...I do think depending on what it is the risk goes higher...of being robbed, or stolen from. Whether its information to get the valuables, or the actual valuables themselves. ALMOST everyone has a price? type thing... I've seen people rationalize it too to fit their beliefs!! And hey!! I was no angel in my past! I have a good handle on how some groups think? "He has more and won't miss it,its not fair, I'll just take it from him..." type thing? We have some of them in the highest powers...trying to push "Legal" theft!:laughing7:

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
KCM, got your pm. Replied accordingly. Thanx.

Then why? Do we have safes,insurance,safety deposit boxes,alarm systems, or locks on our front doors? Why not just set it in the front window of your house and leave door open! ......

Seriously now, because it's a fact that people have been evil, stolen, etc... in the past, and that we have "safes" "alarms", "doors", etc.... , ergo means that: "No one in the world can be trusted" ?

No one's saying "throw caution to the wind and have complete strangers you met in a seedy bar helping you dig 1000 gold coins. But on the contrary, to go from that, to saying: "Therefore you should never have any friends. Afterall, "they might steal from you", is going to the paranoid extreme.

I have friends that I can trust with the keys to my house. I've hunted with friends who watched me find good things, or I watched them find good things. And lo & behold, we didn't kill or rob each other. A buddy of mine pulled up a $3k rare CC quarter. I didn't kill or rob him. But wait, lemme guess, if it had been a $6k or $60k coin, we would most certainly have killed and/or robbed each other, right ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread